Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LovePrunes
CAUTION: Buyer Beware! DOES NOT WORK TO GET EXP This way
A caution to anyone who may try this suggestion to earn LPs buying FTD bonsai trees and hoping they get credit as a large multiplier of LP's from FTD. The Original Poster (and others) posted back that it posts as bonus miles and not base, so no LPs are earned.

some data points:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34174381-post70.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34048144-post308.html
Here's the thread on FTD:

Missing miles/LPs from FTD purchase in mid-Feb

Print Wikipost

127 bonsai trees for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
127 bonsai trees for EXP

Bought a bonsai tree on ftd.com and got 1575 miles, which I assume will translate into 1575LP. What a world we live in where one can buy 127 bonsai trees and make executive plat with AA. What's even more bananas is that if you were to actually purchase 127 bonsai trees, you'd spend $10,000 less by buying bonsai to make EXP (before shipping and tax) than by flying as an EXP with AA.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
We will likely see all kinds of deals over the year. But only hardcore FT Geeks like us will be seeking these out.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:33 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
If you put it on an AA credit card you only need to buy 122 trees.

I expect we will see a lot of creative uses for eShopping and SimplyMiles in the future.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VFR
If you put it on an AA credit card you only need to buy 122 trees.

I expect we will see a lot of creative uses for eShopping and SimplyMiles in the future.
I used my Citi AA card! 121 trees to go!
renila, N1120A, dvs7310 and 3 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:54 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
Bought a bonsai tree on ftd.com and got 1575 miles, which I assume will translate into 1575LP.
The crazy part is we're all assuming that is correct, I believe it is as well, but we're all just assuming until they actually confirm how the program works, or maybe in March they'll tell us how many LP's we have, but probably not by transaction.

What a world we live in where one can buy 127 bonsai trees and make executive plat with AA. What's even more bananas is that if you were to actually purchase 127 bonsai trees, you'd spend $10,000 less by buying bonsai to make EXP (before shipping and tax) than by flying as an EXP with AA.
Not sure why you think that's so bananas, the profitability of issuing 200,000 RDM and LP paid for by FTD is likely much greater to AA than the profitability of actually flying you somewhere to earn the same amount of RDM and LP.
DaveH, hi55us, nk15 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beckles
The crazy part is we're all assuming that is correct, I believe it is as well, but we're all just assuming until they actually confirm how the program works, or maybe in March they'll tell us how many LP's we have, but probably not by transaction.

Not sure why you think that's so bananas, the profitability of issuing 200,000 RDM and LP paid for by FTD is likely much greater to AA than the profitability of actually flying you somewhere to earn the same amount of RDM and LP.
I understand the economics of it. AA is just a credit card company that happens to fly planes. It's just bananas that this is the current state of affairs. And while I don't consider TPG, VFTW, OMAAT, and the other blogs as Pulitzer prize winning journalism, they're all reporting FTD as an LP partner.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:12 pm

Missed opportunity for AA to sell this as a Cobra Kai Season 4 promotion. "On today's flight only, you can earn a black belt and executive platinum status. Just imagine, 2 free round-trip ticket to the Caribbean, free checked bags, upgrades, and, you can throat chop that clown behind you who's kicking your reclined seat'.
Spiff, carla568, davork and 18 others like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:20 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
But you still need 30 segments to unlock the 4 SWUs, which are the best benefit IMHO.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:40 pm

I understand the economics of it. AA is just a credit card company that happens to fly planes. It's just bananas that this is the current state of affairs. And while I don't consider TPG, VFTW, OMAAT, and the other blogs as Pulitzer prize winning journalism, they're all reporting FTD as an LP partner.
To be clear, I believe your assumption is correct, but it sure would be nice if AA could confirm what counts as base miles in terms of earning Loyalty Points for each partner, it's ridiculous that AA has not made it clear what partner base miles will count for earning LP and we have to wait two months to find out how much we're actually earning today.
jerseytom and ghsbass0406 like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:48 pm
VFR

Programs: AA PP, DL PM
Originally Posted by Beckles
To be clear, I believe your assumption is correct, but it sure would be nice if AA could confirm what counts as base miles in terms of earning Loyalty Points for each partner, it's ridiculous that AA has not made it clear what partner base miles will count for earning LP and we have to wait two months to find out how much we're actually earning today.
My interpretation of AA's marketing material and what's been written on the blogs is that the only partner that has "base miles" are the credit cards. i.e. if you earn 5x miles on eShopping you will earn 5x loyalty points.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by VFR
My interpretation of AA's marketing material and what's been written on the blogs is that the only partner that has "base miles" are the credit cards. i.e. if you earn 5x miles on eShopping you will earn 5x loyalty points.
This is from the new program FAQ:

Originally Posted by AA
On the ground: All base miles earned from spending with partners, such as AAdvantage® Dining, SimplyMiles™, and more
I am admittedly putting more weight into what's posted on AA's own website than I am on any third party's posting about this program.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:14 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
I mean, this is the company that rewarded the purchase of 12,000 pudding cups with lifetime gold status. I think the current state of affairs is perfectly believable.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beltway2A
I mean, this is the company that rewarded the purchase of 12,000 pudding cups with lifetime gold status. I think the current state of affairs is perfectly believable.
https://www.huffpost.com/entry/david...b0a629c1ab35a7
WOW. To be fair, it seems like it was a Healthy Choice promotion that applied to any airline? But I understand that back then AA awarded million miler points for any mile earned, not just butt-in-seat miles. Is that right? In any event, point well taken. 12,000 pudding cups to 127 bonsai trees, we've come full circle.
ValleyEarl likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes up until a decade or so ago any earned miles from any source counted towards MM status.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Good. Because these purchases are contributing a heck of a lot more to AA's bottom line than ludicrous "mileage runs" where the airline loses money on every mile. Super happy to see these financially-oriented changes, which will thin the elite ranks and preserve status for those that actually financially contribute.
Mr. BoH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.