Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LovePrunes
CAUTION: Buyer Beware! DOES NOT WORK TO GET EXP This way
A caution to anyone who may try this suggestion to earn LPs buying FTD bonsai trees and hoping they get credit as a large multiplier of LP's from FTD. The Original Poster (and others) posted back that it posts as bonus miles and not base, so no LPs are earned.

some data points:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34174381-post70.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34048144-post308.html
Here's the thread on FTD:

Missing miles/LPs from FTD purchase in mid-Feb

Print Wikipost

127 bonsai trees for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:00 am

Rakuten is 5% cashback at FTD right now.

AA is 20 miles or potentially 25 miles per $1.

$63 x 25 = 1575 miles
$63 x 5% = $3.15 cashback

Getting to EXP this way means spending $7686 on an AA card, or Rakuten would get you $230 in cashback?

FTD is definitely the stronger play.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:07 am

Not to get off topic from the Bonsai Trees but I would assume booking hotels like the one below would be the cheapest way, assuming the bonus points count.

nk15 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I've been fascinated by bonsai ever since I lived in Japan back in the late 1990s. Thanks OP! Bonsai tree purchased.
Venezuela-Miami likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:36 am

This is on the exploreamerican website regarding LPs.

For American Airlines AAdvantage® credit cardmembers, eligible AAdvantage® miles include the base miles earned on eligible purchases using your AAdvantage® credit card, and do not include any bonus miles or accelerators

Am I missing something or will the OP only get $63 LPs for the Bonsai tree?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mctdave
This is on the exploreamerican website regarding LPs.

For American Airlines AAdvantage® credit cardmembers, eligible AAdvantage® miles include the base miles earned on eligible purchases using your AAdvantage® credit card, and do not include any bonus miles or accelerators

Am I missing something or will the OP only get $63 LPs for the Bonsai tree?
When you purchase the bonsai tree at FTD via the AAdvantage eShopping portal you earn 20 (or 25) miles per dollar, which currently post as base miles (as do any purchases through the portal). AA has not said one way or another whether all of these base miles will count as LP's going forward, but going by the way the miles post currently they should unless AA makes some changes.

This is completely different from AA credit card spend, which will only earn 1 LP per dollar spent as mentioned above.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by bocastephen
You can just re-sell the tree, perhaps at a profit or just offer to wholesale them to local florists to offset some of the cost.
I think this retails for about
 $22 on Amazon $22 on Amazon
....So maybe they can re-sell them for $10.
N1120A likes this.

Last edited by nk15; Jan 4, 2022 at 9:11 am
Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:24 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by longtimereader firstimeposter
Not to get off topic from the Bonsai Trees but I would assume booking hotels like the one below would be the cheapest way, assuming the bonus points count.

The second option shown there includes an 'accelerator' option where you pay $60 more to get 3,000 more AAdvantage miles. That sure seems like something AA may want to consider 'bonus' instead of 'base' miles for LP purposes, but I don't believe there is a reliable source to know what you will actually earn in terms of LP.

I just spent a little time digging around bookaahotels.com and find no terms and conditions or disclaimers related to earning AAdvantage miles, unlike the sister site RocketMiles that specifically has the language that 'Unless specified, AAdvantage® miles earned through this promotion/offer do not count toward elite-status qualification or AAdvantage Million MilerSM status.'
Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:33 am

Originally Posted by KDCAflyer
Waiting for the CNBC article:

"Savvy frequent flyers create national bonsai tree shortage"
I sense another Dutch Tulip Bubble in the making...
Old Jan 4, 2022, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
When you purchase the bonsai tree at FTD via the AAdvantage eShopping portal you earn 20 (or 25) miles per dollar, which currently post as base miles (as do any purchases through the portal). AA has not said one way or another whether all of these base miles will count as LP's going forward, but going by the way the miles post currently they should unless AA makes some changes.

This is completely different from AA credit card spend, which will only earn 1 LP per dollar spent as mentioned above.
I am wondering if we get into a situation where early purchases are honored with the multiplier, and later ones are not, after more explicit language is added...You know, somewhat similar with the SimplyMiles x240 RDM bs...
Old Jan 4, 2022, 9:44 am
Suspended

Location: The part of NC where we have electricity, paved roads, and high school diplomas.
Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by AB Dada
Rakuten is 5% cashback at FTD right now.

AA is 20 miles or potentially 25 miles per $1.

$63 x 25 = 1575 miles
$63 x 5% = $3.15 cashback

Getting to EXP this way means spending $7686 on an AA card, or Rakuten would get you $230 in cashback?

FTD is definitely the stronger play.
Any way to get around the $20 FTD delivery charge? It makes the Bonsai run significantly more expensive.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WindowSeatFlyer
Any way to get around the $20 FTD delivery charge? It makes the Bonsai run significantly more expensive.
So they sell it for $83 when it sells on Amazon for $22 and probably costs $5 to grow it...Nice profit margin....
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:11 am

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
It looks like they fixed the glitch and it's 1260 miles (20 per dollar) on the website for the $63 tree now - no longer 1575 miles (25 per dollar)
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:54 am

I read this on ThePointsGuy....

Likewise, you’ll be able to earn Loyalty Points when shopping through the AAdvantage eShopping online shopping portal or the SimplyMiles program. American confirmed to TPG’s Zach Griff that both of these shopping programs will earn miles that count toward earning Loyalty Points at a 1:1 rate.

I think I will hold off on creating a Bonsai forest in my backyard for now....
mrow likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 10:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by davecraze
It looks like they fixed the glitch and it's 1260 miles (20 per dollar) on the website for the $63 tree now - no longer 1575 miles (25 per dollar)
I guess I might've caught the tail-end of the additional 5 mile xmas promotion? Editing the title of the thread to 159 bonsai trees for EXP...
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:00 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
I think we will see an increase in resellers. This started as a manufacture spend technique. Buy stuff on sale on your credit card, then resell on Amazon to churn CC spend. Then for some it became an income source. So you might see people buy 127 of something at a bargain the sell on Amazon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.