Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LovePrunes
CAUTION: Buyer Beware! DOES NOT WORK TO GET EXP This way
A caution to anyone who may try this suggestion to earn LPs buying FTD bonsai trees and hoping they get credit as a large multiplier of LP's from FTD. The Original Poster (and others) posted back that it posts as bonus miles and not base, so no LPs are earned.

some data points:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34174381-post70.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34048144-post308.html
Here's the thread on FTD:

Missing miles/LPs from FTD purchase in mid-Feb

Print Wikipost

127 bonsai trees for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:10 am

American Airlines employees monitor Flyer Talk, and I can only imagine some of the emails that were sent from senior employees to their more junior colleagues after this thread was posted.

I'm sure this thread caused two or three AA employees to have a VERY rough start to 2022....in other words, the AA employees had the sort of unpleasant experience due to this thread, that AA passengers have had to endure since the US merger.
mrow likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
"127 bonsais" as in "127 hours"....of uncertainty and agony...

Last edited by nk15; Jan 4, 2022 at 1:20 pm
Old Jan 4, 2022, 11:53 am

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
The new battle cry for the battlefield upgrade: "BONSAI!!!"
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
And the new term "Bonsai EXP"...

Used in a sentence: "She was very miffed with the new AAdvantage program, until she realized that she could become a "Bonsai EXP."
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
I'd just like to note that I found this thread right as I turned on the fourth season of Cobra Kai.

Coincidence? I think not...

Or maybe so.

Mike
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:36 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by JoeDTW
American Airlines employees monitor Flyer Talk, and I can only imagine some of the emails that were sent from senior employees to their more junior colleagues after this thread was posted.

I'm sure this thread caused two or three AA employees to have a VERY rough start to 2022....in other words, the AA employees had the sort of unpleasant experience due to this thread, that AA passengers have had to endure since the US merger.
I very much doubt that…they’ve fully reviewed the economics of the new program. While people at AA read flyertalk, I doubt that they will make different decisions because of this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:48 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by donotblink
I very much doubt that…they’ve fully reviewed the economics of the new program. While people at AA read flyertalk, I doubt that they will make different decisions because of this.
Economics of the new program? The cost of issuing LP is negligible. The earning structure for LP encourages members to earn LP by activities more profitable to AA (anything but flying a passenger somewhere) compared to those that are less profitable to AA (actually flying a passenger somewhere).
Old Jan 4, 2022, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by nk15
And the new term "Bonsai EXP"...

Used in a sentence: "She was very miffed with the new AAdvantage program, until she realized that she could become a "Bonsai EXP."
I want to say that at this moment I am proud to be at the ground floor of what will likely be the birth of yet another term in the Flyertalk American lexicon.

Between this and "Snack Tower of Sadness" and "cockroaches", my membership amongst this august company has been worth all the electrons that have paid the ultimate sacrifice for my enjoyment and amusement,
Old Jan 4, 2022, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by JoeDTW

You seriously think that AA didn't model every possible scenario before announcing the program? It always amazes me that people on boards like this seem to think they've come up with some loophole that the experts have missed.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
You seriously think that AA didn't model every possible scenario before announcing the program? It always amazes me that people on boards like this seem to think they've come up with some loophole that the experts have missed.
Kind of like Healthy Choice meals?
Old Jan 4, 2022, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Of course they didn't. They are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:52 pm

There’s no place I have learned of more loopholes than FlyerTalk. It’s the loophole capital of the internet as far as I’m concerned.
vasantn, renila, N1120A and 5 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 5:57 pm

Programs: AA, Amex
From what Beckles posted, if the verbiage is "All base miles earned from spending with partners, such as AAdvantage® Dining, SimplyMiles™, and more" rather than "All miles earned from..." my guess is this is probably a 1-LP-per-dollar base rate thing.

With that said, a bonsai tree would look nice on my table here...
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Yes, we do. The app currently says "You've earned X miles in 2021 when they really mean 2020." They can't get flights rerouted robotically through cities besides the original booked ones. They have awarded WAY more EQD/EQM for years for flights on award partners because they can't simply email each other how much their customers spent... ironically creating more loyalty to OneWorld but less per se to one's own airline. So yea, its possible. But we won't know until March to be sure.
SFflyer20 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:12 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jerseytom
From what Beckles posted, if the verbiage is "All base miles earned from spending with partners, such as AAdvantage® Dining, SimplyMiles™, and more" rather than "All miles earned from..." my guess is this is probably a 1-LP-per-dollar base rate thing.
I'm not sure how you get from 1 LP/dollar from base, the base miles is an important distinction because of promotions that are run from time to time at eShopping or Dining for Miles. These is a distinction in postings between base and bonus miles for partners, however as I posted in another thread, that has not necessarily been consistent, e.g., I earned 1,000 bonus miles/night on a couple of Hyatt stays earlier this year and they posted as base miles, even though in my mind it sure seems like those should be bonus and would not earn LP.

All that being said, someone in AAdvantage Galactic HQ needs to get off their bottom and just share with us members how this is actually working. Someone at AAdvantage should be able to put together a table that shows each partner, what mileage earnings from that partner earn LP, and what mileage earnings from that partner do not earn LP. It's completely inexcusable that AA has not done this yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.