Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LovePrunes
CAUTION: Buyer Beware! DOES NOT WORK TO GET EXP This way
A caution to anyone who may try this suggestion to earn LPs buying FTD bonsai trees and hoping they get credit as a large multiplier of LP's from FTD. The Original Poster (and others) posted back that it posts as bonus miles and not base, so no LPs are earned.

some data points:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34174381-post70.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34048144-post308.html
Here's the thread on FTD:

Missing miles/LPs from FTD purchase in mid-Feb

Print Wikipost

127 bonsai trees for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2022, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
For anyone considering those bonsai trees, I thought I'd mention that looking at my most recent email from AA, the details for FTD say that I will earn 25 *bonus* miles per dollar.
Clearly they don't have a clue. See how they post. And we still won't know until March whether or not all base miles will translate to LPs.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA ConciergeKey; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
It was actually at 30 a day or two ago - I didn't get an email or see it advertised anywhere but checked it out of curiosity since I realized I'll be away on Valentine's Day and needed to start thinking about that, lol.
It's confusing as the AAshopping redirect page says 20 per dollar, but when you click on it, the FTD landing page says 25 per dollar.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by davecraze
It's confusing as the AAshopping redirect page says 20 per dollar, but when you click on it, the FTD landing page says 25 per dollar.
Yeah, FTD in particular seems to be a mess and there (almost) always seems to be a disconnect between what the shopping portal says and what the website says. I'm inclined to believe they'll honor the rate listed on their website since they award the miles directly rather than going through the shopping portal, if that makes any sense (the terms and conditions sort of explain it).

Last edited by LlamaJesus; Jan 17, 2022 at 3:12 pm
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by LlamaJesus
Yeah, FTD in particular seems to be a mess and there (almost) always seems to be a disconnect between what the shopping portal says and what the website says. I'm inclined to believe they'll honor the rate listed on their website since they award the miles differently directly rather than going through the shopping portal, if that makes any sense (the terms and conditions sort of explain it).
I bought a fig plant from FTD to test it, but we likely won't know for sure until they loyalty point counter is live.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
It says 25 miles on the email AA shopping sent...They probably forgot to update on their main site...

The AA shopping portal is indeed a bit of a mess, sometimes the miles credit properly, others don't...Imagine buying all the bonsais and the transaction not been recorded on the site, lol...
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by nk15
It says 25 miles on the email AA shopping sent...They probably forgot to update on their main site...

The AA shopping portal is indeed a bit of a mess, sometimes the miles credit properly, others don't...Imagine buying all the bonsais and the transaction not been recorded on the site, lol...
What proof do you have that you made a purchase via the AA shopping portal?
Old Jan 17, 2022, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
You don’t really have any proof. You click through and hope for the best.
vasantn, LovePrunes and nk15 like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:45 pm

I bought a fig plant from FTD to test it, but we likely won't know for sure until they loyalty point counter is live.
They really want to find out if you give a fig.
njvandy and jhalapin like this.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think many are fresh out of figs with the situation...
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
If using Chrome and the AA Button, you *should* get a pop up after the transaction that it was tracked. That is a pretty fool-proof indicator of order tracking.

Also, sometimes they will send a tracking email of some variety - usually within a day of the transaction.

And if you log into your AA eshopping profile, you can see completed transactions as well as the "Store Visits" tab and then it will list a transaction that was tagged from that click but perhaps have not completed yet.

And if all else fails, usually as long as you visited the store via the AA link and have an email order confirmation for the same day - you can submit a missing transaction request after 15 days. I keep the email confirmations from stores until the miles post to AA.

So there are several ways to track if it was tracked by AA and will post to your account.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jtav559
If using Chrome and the AA Button, you *should* get a pop up after the transaction that it was tracked. That is a pretty fool-proof indicator of order tracking.

Also, sometimes they will send a tracking email of some variety - usually within a day of the transaction.

And if you log into your AA eshopping profile, you can see completed transactions as well as the "Store Visits" tab and then it will list a transaction that was tagged from that click but perhaps have not completed yet.

And if all else fails, usually as long as you visited the store via the AA link and have an email order confirmation for the same day - you can submit a missing transaction request after 15 days. I keep the email confirmations from stores until the miles post to AA.

So there are several ways to track if it was tracked by AA and will post to your account.
I think the OP's concern is, if something weren't to track, how do you prove that you did in fact click through from the AAadvantage Shopping portal? I don't think there's a way to do that if the tracking fails (I.e. if you don't get a confirmation email, if it doesn't show the click through in the activity screen, etc).
Old Jan 17, 2022, 6:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by coleslaw
I think the OP's concern is, if something weren't to track, how do you prove that you did in fact click through from the AAadvantage Shopping portal? I don't think there's a way to do that if the tracking fails (I.e. if you don't get a confirmation email, if it doesn't show the click through in the activity screen, etc).
No sure-fire way to do so, but with the history of a dated click thru the appropriate link and the order confirmation - you can submit the miles claim to Cartera. I have had to do so maybe 3 or 4 times in the last year for a missing transaction.

Uploaded a pdf of the order confirmation and got an "all-good" email about 3 days later. Miles posted at the appropriate rate.

So it was not an onerous process to get the miles I was due. A bit more leg work, but for the miles that are earned it can be a worthwhile endeavor.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:01 pm

it has the aa shopping logo on the email receipt

and it also says this on the email receipt.

You will earn 1125 AADV6 MILES. Please allow 6–8 weeks for miles/points to post to your account”

but I did not look to see if there was anything on the confirmation page online.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:07 pm

it has the aa shopping logo on the email receipt

and it also says this on the email receipt.

You will earn 1125 AADV6 MILES. Please allow 6–8 weeks for miles/points to post to your account”

but I did not look to see if there was anything on the confirmation page online.
That's interesting. I haven't seen any other portal sites show mileage earning on at the time of purchase / on the invoice.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 7:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by coleslaw
That's interesting. I haven't seen any other portal sites show mileage earning on at the time of purchase / on the invoice.
This does not come with the order receipt, unless perhaps he has an integrated AAshopping button?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.