Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LovePrunes
CAUTION: Buyer Beware! DOES NOT WORK TO GET EXP This way
A caution to anyone who may try this suggestion to earn LPs buying FTD bonsai trees and hoping they get credit as a large multiplier of LP's from FTD. The Original Poster (and others) posted back that it posts as bonus miles and not base, so no LPs are earned.

some data points:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34174381-post70.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34048144-post308.html
Here's the thread on FTD:

Missing miles/LPs from FTD purchase in mid-Feb

Print Wikipost

127 bonsai trees for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by chrisny2
Ordered 4 2-packs today. Submitted my reimbursement online - my insurer is using Caremark for online submission of those reimbursement requests, so it was pretty easy. Not a ton of loyalty points, but better than nothing for no out-of-pocket cost.
Walgreens says Pharmacy is excluded from AA points, did you get them? Same for Walmart. It seems only CVS does not mention any such exclusions.
Old Feb 4, 2022, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by davecraze
I signed up for motley fool through the portal for 99 dollar subscription and it posted today as 7,400 base miles. Hopefully those count as loyalty points - guess we will see in March.
Have the AA miles been clawed back for anyone who paid with an Amex card that had the $50 credit for a $99 purchase? It says no stacking/offers can be combined, does this apply to the Amex $50 credit?
Old Feb 5, 2022, 2:54 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by nk15
Walgreens says Pharmacy is excluded from AA points, did you get them? Same for Walmart. It seems only CVS does not mention any such exclusions.
Not yet - so I'll follow up and report back. I haven't even received the order yet. Typically, "pharmacy" would mean prescriptions, but maybe they are using a broader meaning.
nk15 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:46 am

Programs: Marriott-LT Titanium; AA-LT Gold/Currently Plat Pro
Originally Posted by coleslaw
You don’t really have any proof. You click through and hope for the best.
I take a screenshot that shows the final purchase, the open tabs from the Aadvantage portal and the date and time on the computer just in case.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by odie11
I take a screenshot that shows the final purchase, the open tabs from the Aadvantage portal and the date and time on the computer just in case.
All good steps to take. But when you’re dealing with the AAdvantage Shopping support team you just get copy / paste responses that are generally pretty unhelpful. There’s very little recourse when things dont post correctly.
vasantn likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 9:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are many items that don't get miles in many vendors, there are a lot of exclusions. I did a large Walmart order the other day and got nothing...very frustrating, as I would have gotten these from Amazon instead. So you have to read the terms carefully...
Old Feb 5, 2022, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
There are many items that don't get miles in many vendors, there are a lot of exclusions. I did a large Walmart order the other day and got nothing...very frustrating, as I would have gotten these from Amazon instead. So you have to read the terms carefully...
And you have to hope that AA / Rakuten actually stick to the terms as they’re stated when you make the transaction.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 9:35 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Have the AA miles been clawed back for anyone who paid with an Amex card that had the $50 credit for a $99 purchase? It says no stacking/offers can be combined, does this apply to the Amex $50 credit?
I doubt it would be clawed back. Amex typically doesn't require you to go through a special portal and you don't use a special coupon/promo code. The Amex credit happens after the fact on the Amex side and shouldn't be visible to AA.
I did a similar Amex offer with Sunbasket and there have been no issues.
nk15 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OskiBear
I doubt it would be clawed back. Amex typically doesn't require you to go through a special portal and you don't use a special coupon/promo code. The Amex credit happens after the fact on the Amex side and shouldn't be visible to AA.
I did a similar Amex offer with Sunbasket and there have been no issues.
It's not AA; it's visible to Motley Fool, who has to pay Amex. They then refuse to pay the shopping portal, who doesn't give you the miles.

I would expect them to get clawed back based on the blog post which claimed that Motley Fool contacted them and said that they would be clawed back. https://frequentmiler.com/the-motley...y-points-more/
nk15 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
Double posting here

Just saw that miles from my AA shopping claim / investigation posted as bonus miles, not base miles. All other AA shopping miles that were tracked without issues posted as base
Old Feb 5, 2022, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by sudden729
Double posting here

Just saw that miles from my AA shopping claim / investigation posted as bonus miles, not base miles. All other AA shopping miles that were tracked without issues posted as base
That's a bummer! I have a bunch of investigations going on.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 4:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are little weasels, try to get out of giving LPs already, this is going to be a fun scamfest journey AA has put us on...

Has anyone asked AA for clarifications about what counts as LPs?
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:48 pm

There are little weasels, try to get out of giving LPs already, this is going to be a fun scamfest journey AA has put us on...

Has anyone asked AA for clarifications about what counts as LPs?
I think this is more a factor of Cartera / Rakutens incompetence rather than malicious intent on AAs part. This has been a long standing issue with shopping portals and tracking (/lack thereof).
vasantn and chrisny2 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think this is more a factor of Cartera / Rakutens incompetence rather than malicious intent on AAs part. This has been a long standing issue with shopping portals and tracking (/lack thereof).
They are partners...AA with the new ridiculous rules and lack of clarity about what counts, and their partners with their confusion and incompetence, we are off to a good start...
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would expect there to be some hiccups as to what posts as base vs bonus, especially coming from partners. They probably have it set up so that anything manually awarded counts as bonus. I would complain back to the portal (with links to the AA sites showing why it's relevant). After enough complaining they will fix it

Remember that up until 5 weeks ago no one really cared if it was base or bonus. There is no way that every partner is going to have it right on day 1.
chrisny2 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.