Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LovePrunes
CAUTION: Buyer Beware! DOES NOT WORK TO GET EXP This way
A caution to anyone who may try this suggestion to earn LPs buying FTD bonsai trees and hoping they get credit as a large multiplier of LP's from FTD. The Original Poster (and others) posted back that it posts as bonus miles and not base, so no LPs are earned.

some data points:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34174381-post70.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34048144-post308.html
Here's the thread on FTD:

Missing miles/LPs from FTD purchase in mid-Feb

Print Wikipost

127 bonsai trees for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:38 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by VFR
Breakage is significant, but I'm willing to bet that AA still makes money on most mileage transactions, even if you acquire them "cheaply" from FTD and then spend them on Japan Airlines First.
AA only makes money because of the breakage. Otherwise, the numbers just don't work. FTD isn't paying 3 cents a mile, and Citi certainly isn't. The old rumor was less than a penny each.

It's not a coincidence that "selling miles" suddenly became AA's priority at a time when mile usage dropped off substantially.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 2:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by js1993
... It's not clear at all that the person who earned 30,000 miles last week and uses them next week is massively more profitable than the person who paid $300 or $400 for his ticket last week and flies next week.
The rumor is that AA is selling miles at about $0.01/mile or less. At that price 30K miles will yield < $300 revenue for AA. The real danger for AA is that some of the folks who were acquiring miles by chasing status will give up and simply use the accumulated miles. I just flew with a couple in F who were certain that AA will devalue the program even further and this is why they are trying to drain their FF accounts to zero.
js1993 likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 3:10 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Alex_I
The rumor is that AA is selling miles at about $0.01/mile or less. At that price 30K miles will yield < $300 revenue for AA. The real danger for AA is that some of the folks who were acquiring miles by chasing status will give up and simply use the accumulated miles. I just flew with a couple in F who were certain that AA will devalue the program even further and this is why they are trying to drain their FF accounts to zero.
Exactly right. The move to LP is clearly a short-term money grab by AA because business and other higher-margin travel hasn't recovered, and there's no doubt that a major devaluation will occur sometime this year. Otherwise, AA will be giving EXP plus four SWUs plus over 200,000 RDM to people after receiving as little as $2,000 in miles-related revenue and as little as ~$2,000 for the required 30 segments. No way in the world those numbers work.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

AA only makes money because of the breakage. Otherwise, the numbers just don't work. FTD isn't paying 3 cents a mile, and Citi certainly isn't. The old rumor was less than a penny each.

It's not a coincidence that "selling miles" suddenly became AA's priority at a time when mile usage dropped off substantially.
The problem is that you don't know what AA pays JL for a first class award ticket
Old Feb 26, 2022, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
The problem is that you don't know what AA pays JL for a first class award ticket
Neither do you. But we have a very good idea of what AA gets paid for AA miles, and the numbers don't work without massive breakage.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Since I was wondering…

What Is Breakage?

Breakage is a term used to describe revenue gained by retailers through unredeemed gift cards or other prepaid services that are never claimed. In these cases, the company pockets the money paid for these items, without actually providing the service or item for which the customer initially paid. Although nearly all of this money is considered to be a profit to the company, accounting uncertainty due to breakage has been a recurring problem throughout the years.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Neither do you. But we have a very good idea of what AA gets paid for AA miles, and the numbers don't work without massive breakage.
You have no idea if the numbers work if you don't know what mileage redemption costs them. You keep saying "the numbers don't work" without any evidence of it. You are just making stuff up and pretending it's fact.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:35 pm

You have no idea if the numbers work if you don't know what mileage redemption costs them. You keep saying "the numbers don't work" without any evidence of it. You are just making stuff up and pretending it's fact.
If you don't have the numbers, either, then you're doing exactly that which you're accusing me of doing.

But we don't need exact numbers for this discussion. There's simply no way AA could make money by granting EXP plus four SWUs plus over 200,000 RDM to people after receiving as little as $2,000 in miles-related revenue and as little as ~$2,000 for the required 30 segments. The numbers could only work if AA sells a massive amount of miles that are thereafter massively devalued or are never redeemed.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
I don't even think they know.
It seems a bit difficult to calculate the cost. For example, how many award trips would have been taken as paid trips if there were no awards for trips?
The cost for award trips, outside of possible lost paid business, is the incremental cost of providing that free trip, which would be like how much fuel, food, etc, is used by the incremental passenger.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you don't have the numbers, either, then you're doing exactly that which you're accusing me of doing.

But we don't need exact numbers for this discussion. There's simply no way AA could make money by granting EXP plus four SWUs plus over 200,000 RDM to people after receiving as little as $2,000 in miles-related revenue and as little as ~$2,000 for the required 30 segments. The numbers could only work if AA sells a massive amount of miles that are thereafter massively devalued or are never redeemed.
Why couldn't they work? What does EXP cost them? Was there a check in the mail that I missed? If they upgrade me instead of a Plat Pro does that cost them extra money? The only way to use any of my benefits is to spend money with them.

Status drives business. The only issue is that if everyone has status it becomes worthless and stops driving loyalty, so they only want a certain number of people to have it. Just because status is value to me, it does not mean that it costs them money to give it to me. It's not a zero sum game.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:20 pm

Why couldn't they work? What does EXP cost them? Was there a check in the mail that I missed? If they upgrade me instead of a Plat Pro does that cost them extra money? The only way to use any of my benefits is to spend money with them.

Status drives business. The only issue is that if everyone has status it becomes worthless and stops driving loyalty, so they only want a certain number of people to have it. Just because status is value to me, it does not mean that it costs them money to give it to me. It's not a zero sum game.
You seem to subtly or not so subtly change your position with every new comment. Does AA make more money by selling miles or by flying people? If they don't make nearly as much money from the latter, then how does AA magically make money from miles redemptions when we know, with a fairly decent degree of certainty, that AA can't be getting more than a penny per mile? How, exactly, is a person who earned 50,000 miles last month and redeems them this month more profitable for AA than a person who paid $500 for a ticket last month and flies this month?

The breakage is the entire point. The entire model revolves around breakage, just like CC rewards revolve around having customers who pay 20% interest. I can't believe we're even having this discussion. If everyone redeemed all of their miles, the whole system would collapse, just as CC rewards would disappear if everyone started paying in full every month.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al

There have always been highly discounted shortcuts to EXP, along the same amounts some of these speculative LP promotions are pricing out at. This is nothing new and AA knows there will always been a small handful of people qualifying for status with spend/flying far below the average. They don't represent the typical EXP. If anything, this works out better for AA considering they seem to make st as much money selling miles as they do flying planes these days. YMMV.

-FlyerBeek
Old Feb 26, 2022, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
There have always been highly discounted shortcuts to EXP, along the same amounts some of these speculative LP promotions are pricing out at. This is nothing new and AA knows there will always been a small handful of people qualifying for status with spend/flying far below the average. They don't represent the typical EXP. If anything, this works out better for AA considering they seem to make as much money selling miles as they do flying planes these days. YMMV.
haha. Here we go again ...
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ok let's take a different approach.

AA just changed their loyalty program to reward people to take actions which cause partners to give them miles which were bought from AA. Why would they encourage people to do this if it were not profitable for them?

AA has very smart people who have done all the analysis that you can do, and more (since they have access to critical data that you just don't have, like how much mileage redemptions actually cost them). They are fully capable of analyzing 2nd order effects, like the effect that this would have on breakage, which changes the cost of them issuing miles. After seeing all the numbers and all the analysis, they decided to make this change. Why do you think that is?

You act like one guy just drunkenly decided to revamp the loyalty program one night, with no consideration of the consequences. I assure you that that was not the case.
FlyerBeek likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2022, 9:20 pm

Ok let's take a different approach.

AA just changed their loyalty program to reward people to take actions which cause partners to give them miles which were bought from AA. Why would they encourage people to do this if it were not profitable for them?

AA has very smart people who have done all the analysis that you can do, and more (since they have access to critical data that you just don't have, like how much mileage redemptions actually cost them). They are fully capable of analyzing 2nd order effects, like the effect that this would have on breakage, which changes the cost of them issuing miles. After seeing all the numbers and all the analysis, they decided to make this change. Why do you think that is?

You act like one guy just drunkenly decided to revamp the loyalty program one night, with no consideration of the consequences. I assure you that that was not the case.
lol

Why do I think AA made the change? I've already said it 10 times: The move to LP is clearly a short-term money grab by AA because business and other higher-margin travel hasn't recovered. Miles are not only an interest-free loan whose principal AA can unilaterally reduce at any time, but some of the lenders will never demand repayment. Next will be a major devaluation of the miles AA is now encouraging people to buy, which will actually be a double-deval because we're in massively inflationary times.

You, on the other hand, steadfastly refuse to answer how, exactly, a person who earned 50,000 miles last month and redeems them this month is more profitable for AA than a person who paid $500 for a ticket last month and flies this month. For the purposes of this thread, that's the important question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.