Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2022, 12:20 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LovePrunes
CAUTION: Buyer Beware! DOES NOT WORK TO GET EXP This way
A caution to anyone who may try this suggestion to earn LPs buying FTD bonsai trees and hoping they get credit as a large multiplier of LP's from FTD. The Original Poster (and others) posted back that it posts as bonus miles and not base, so no LPs are earned.

some data points:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34174381-post70.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34048144-post308.html
Here's the thread on FTD:

Missing miles/LPs from FTD purchase in mid-Feb

Print Wikipost

127 bonsai trees for EXP

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Beckles
I... It's completely inexcusable that AA has not done this yet.
They probably don't know yet, they make this up as they go along...
vasantn, mrow and roadtriper like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 6:33 pm

dmsdfw, You obviously are unaware of what made flyertalk a popular website. It was loophole instructions from Flyertalk founder Randy where by buying multiple magazine subscriptions it allowed you to fly the supersonic Concorde for a mere fraction of purchasing an actual ticket.

Originally Posted by dmsdfw
You seriously think that AA didn't model every possible scenario before announcing the program? It always amazes me that people on boards like this seem to think they've come up with some loophole that the experts have missed.
renila, DaveH, N1120A and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 4, 2022, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
dmsdfw, You obviously are unaware of what made flyertalk a popular website. It was loophole instructions from Flyertalk founder Randy where by buying multiple magazine subscriptions it allowed you to fly the supersonic Concorde for a mere fraction of purchasing an actual ticket.
AA works with dozens of partners, each of whom sells thousands of products. It's simply impossible for AA to model every possible scenario, because there are so many of them.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 1:56 am

Programs: Virgin Atlantic Silver, IHG Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
You seriously think that AA didn't model every possible scenario before announcing the program? It always amazes me that people on boards like this seem to think they've come up with some loophole that the experts have missed.
I think the fact that the Citi grAAvy train chugged along for so long says more than enough...
DaveH, jtav559 and hi55us like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:19 am

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
You're confusing revenue and profit. Cost is fine, so long as the associated revenue exceeds it. Of course the perfect customer would use zero elite benefits and redeem zero awards, but that may impact revenue. The realistic perfect customer is me, whom I described above.
It sounds like you’re confused about the purpose of a loyalty program. It’s not to reward amazing customers like you—it’s to drive marginal revenue that wouldn’t go to AA otherwise.
vasantn, mrow, LovePrunes and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:25 am

Programs: Charter Member Delta Diamond Medallion, Lifetime AA Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hilton & Marriott Gold
I think bonsai trees are a perfect gift for passengers to give to flight attendants instead of “job well done” certificates.
sxpsxpsxp, SS255, cova and 7 others like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 9:54 am

Programs: AA Bonsai EXP (2.9 MM), AS MVPG
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
The realistic perfect customer is me
Nice!
mrow likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, BAEC Gold, IHG Platinum
And this is now hitting the blogs... VFTW has calculated that you'd only need to buy 78 bonsais for EXP with a 40mile per dollar FTD promotion, but I thought that any bonus miles earned from a promotion didn't count and only the base miles counted...
Old Jan 5, 2022, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
And this is now hitting the blogs... VFTW has calculated that you'd only need to buy 78 bonsais for EXP with a 40mile per dollar FTD promotion, but I thought that any bonus miles earned from a promotion didn't count and only the base miles counted...
That's the point though, regardless of whether FTD is offering 20 or 25 or 40 miles per dollar they all post as base miles, and thus they all should count as LPs.
ghsbass0406 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 6:08 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
That's the point though, regardless of whether FTD is offering 20 or 25 or 40 miles per dollar they all post as base miles, and thus they all should count as LPs.
Just like AA did with Bask Bank postings in the past month, they could change how some or all of the miles are posted at any point. Also, just because there was a 40 miles/dollar promotion in the past does not mean there will be in the future.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:32 pm

Programs: Alaska, AA, Marriott
Originally Posted by ghsbass0406
Those aren't bonus miles. They're an increase to base miles earned.
N1120A likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:43 pm

So you can literally get EXP w/o even flying a mile? That makes zero sense.
N1120A likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by ceieoc
I think bonsai trees are a perfect gift for passengers to give to flight attendants instead of “job well done” certificates.
If that's the case, then given my recent experiences in AA F over the past few years, I'll be walking off most flights with the bonsai tree "gift" still in hand.
ceieoc and futuramadramallama like this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by Eyenigma
...That makes zero sense.
Zero cents but a lot of dollars....
MasterPlanner likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2022, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Eyenigma
So you can literally get EXP w/o even flying a mile? That makes zero sense.
Welcome to the brave new world.

Who cares if a bunch of people who don't fly make EXP?
MasterPlanner likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.