Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2022, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by DCBound2016
Is it worth it to spend around $400 this month to reach gold status? I fly about 20 times a year, probably a few times with luggage. Thanks!
You're the best judge of that. Take the planned flight routings that you will fly in future till Mar 1 2023 with checked luggage and multiply that # by estimated baggage fees. Note also that in addition, gold status gives you 40% more mileage earned at least on redeemable miles I think I'm not sure about eqms which doesn't matter anyway now after Feb 28. If you reach school before February 28th then I think it's beneficial. Also gold gives on AA ability to "hold" AA itineraries for 24hrs, and for small fee for couple more days. If you think you'll take all your 10 20 trips on American Airlines or you know specific partners that allow elite bonuses then that 40% extra mileage had some actual value
Old Feb 1, 2022, 1:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by DCBound2016
Is it worth it to spend around $400 this month to reach gold status? I fly about 20 times a year, probably a few times with luggage. Thanks!
What would you spend the $400 on? If it's stuff that you would buy anyway over the course of the year, then it's a no-brainer.

If the only benefit of Gold status to you would be a free checked bag, you can get that -- and tens of thousands of bonus AAdvantage miles -- by getting a qualifying Barclays or Citi AA credit card.

But Gold also gets you free MCE seats at 24 hours before departure. That's a huge benefit to me. And being able to check in at the Business Class check-in counter can also be useful.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 7:51 pm

Programs: AA EP
They would get the PP q choice when they hit the PP LPs and PP segments

Originally Posted by vasantn
A systemwide upgrade is not a "guaranteed upgrade voucher".

You don't even get 1 choice at 125K if you don't have the 30 segments.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 6:15 am

Have my first flight on AA later in the year, remarkably good deal on a Business fare from DUB-MCO via CLT. The flight leaves DUB at 1115 and the return gets back into DUB at 0520, this is the schedule for the entire summer, will AA really leave the aircraft sitting on the ground for 6 hours. The only historic info I can see is that in 2019 it was in DUB from 0725-0950 which seems much more sensible and realistic to me.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by SandLake
Have my first flight on AA later in the year, remarkably good deal on a Business fare from DUB-MCO via CLT. The flight leaves DUB at 1115 and the return gets back into DUB at 0520, this is the schedule for the entire summer, will AA really leave the aircraft sitting on the ground for 6 hours. The only historic info I can see is that in 2019 it was in DUB from 0725-0950 which seems much more sensible and realistic to me.
Are you sure that AA uses the same aircraft for DUB-CLT as it does for CLT-DUB?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by guv1976
Are you sure that AA uses the same aircraft for DUB-CLT as it does for CLT-DUB?
I was thinking the same thing but it looks like CLT is the only 777 flight, everything else is 787.

Most likely just gate space scheduling and CBP timing issues at CLT.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:47 am

With DUB pre-clearance, would it be CBP timing at DUB?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 8:59 am

Jet Blue or AA Code Share?

For a flight after March 1st (LP times) is there any reason to book a AA codeshare flight on Jet Blue metal rather than directly with Jet Blue?

Based on what I can see on the partner airlines page, all fare codes are eligible for earning LPs...so shouldn't matter right?
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by wwrjb
For a flight after March 1st (LP times) is there any reason to book a AA codeshare flight on Jet Blue metal rather than directly with Jet Blue?

Based on what I can see on the partner airlines page, all fare codes are eligible for earning LPs...so shouldn't matter right?
It makes no difference; your LP earnings are going to be 5, 7, 8, 9, or 11 times the fare net of taxes, based on your elite status. The fare basis and the flight distance will be irrelevant.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: MR LT TTM, HH DMD, AA PLT (LT GLD)
Where are the Loyalty Points?

Has AA starting posting loyalty points to our accounts yet? I haven't been able to find them anywhere, still just the EQD/EQM/EQS arcs. Perhaps it's because of the 2-month "double-dip" period, but I've already earned my status for this year, and would like to start tracking my progress towards 2023.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gpmolloy
Has AA starting posting loyalty points to our accounts yet?
No. it's supposed to start reporting as of March 1 and will include January and February.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL, AA, UA, WN, Hyatt, HHonors, Avis Pref+
If I'm booked on a flight using miles from a non-status passenger, my status will still apply, right? Looking to still have preferred seat selection and free checked bags. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ZonaFlyer
If I'm booked on a flight using miles from a non-status passenger, my status will still apply, right? Looking to still have preferred seat selection and free checked bags. I'm pretty sure the answer is yes.
Yes, status of the traveler is what matters.
Old Feb 5, 2022, 1:41 am

Earning status for 2021 is extended to the end of February. Does that include flying for awards beyond exp? I have 120k within reach. But I'm not sure if I should reach for it: Will I get an extra award if I hit that before feb 28? Thank you!
Old Feb 5, 2022, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danielm
Earning status for 2021 is extended to the end of February. Does that include flying for awards beyond exp? I have 120k within reach. But I'm not sure if I should reach for it: Will I get an extra award if I hit that before feb 28? Thank you!
Yes.

Choice Reward

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.