Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2022, 12:57 am

Originally Posted by vasantn

Choice awards. That's the term I should have searched for. Thank you, this is great news!
Old Feb 6, 2022, 6:30 am

I am hoping someone can help guide me as to AA's baggage policy on a domestic booking. They state "If you're an AAdvantage® elite status member or AAdvantage® credit cardholder, your bag benefit and boarding group applies if higher based on status. (Benefits may not apply on partner airlines.)". Do Oneworld Emerald status holders earned on other airlines get free bag check?
Old Feb 6, 2022, 6:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Yeoman5
I am hoping someone can help guide me as to AA's baggage policy on a domestic booking. They state "If you're an AAdvantage® elite status member or AAdvantage® credit cardholder, your bag benefit and boarding group applies if higher based on status. (Benefits may not apply on partner airlines.)". Do Oneworld Emerald status holders earned on other airlines get free bag check?
Yes.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 10:42 am

Is anyone good at calculating EQDs on Qatar? I'm flying on Tuesday DFW>DOH in Business Comfort (I class) and then DOH>CAI in First (A class). I'm trying up a status level by the end of the month. I did a DFW>DOH leg in June netted 1586 EQDs in Business Classic (R). Never done the DOH>CAI leg. And another relevant question- Is anyone else suffering from lingering post-Covid brain fog that makes it harder to calculations?
Old Feb 6, 2022, 11:04 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by MsEllie
Is anyone good at calculating EQDs on Qatar? I'm flying on Tuesday DFW>DOH in Business Comfort (I class) and then DOH>CAI in First (A class). I'm trying up a status level by the end of the month. I did a DFW>DOH leg in June netted 1586 EQDs in Business Classic (R). Never done the DOH>CAI leg. And another relevant question- Is anyone else suffering from lingering post-Covid brain fog that makes it harder to calculations?
Doing mostly the same thing as you (NBO instead of CAI and next tuesday) so I've been crunching the numbers a lot to ensure I hit plat pro. For your trip it would be: (7932*0.2)+(1280*0.3) = 1970.4 EQD
MsEllie likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 6:54 pm

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Priority benefits at US airports

How does priority benefits work at US airports. Do digital boarding passes also show "priority" notation on them?
Based on the info here:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-program/elite-status/priority-privileges.jsp

​​​​​​For instance,.how does it work at, e.g Pittsburgh airport if I want to use any sort of expedited security line? Should I do a counter check-in to get a pass that says "priority"? I attained Gold status recently for the first time and planning to fly this Friday out if PIT on a morning flight (835am). Carry on only. Trying to figure how early I need to get there if I can use the beginning rung of Elite status to speed up some things.

I haven't received any card in the mail and I think it's all digital for the Advantage program, if I remember some emails correctly. Thanks in advance.
Old Feb 6, 2022, 7:16 pm

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by psusaver
How does priority benefits work at US airports. Do digital boarding passes also show "priority" notation on them?
Based on the info here:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...privileges.jsp

​​​​​​For instance,.how does it work at, e.g Pittsburgh airport if I want to use any sort of expedited security line? Should I do a counter check-in to get a pass that says "priority"? I attained Gold status recently for the first time and planning to fly this Friday out if PIT on a morning flight (835am). Carry on only. Trying to figure how early I need to get there if I can use the beginning rung of Elite status to speed up some things.

I haven't received any card in the mail and I think it's all digital for the Advantage program, if I remember some emails correctly. Thanks in advance.
Hello and congrats on the status. You can use the priority/first class check in desks but as you dont have to check anything you can go straight to security with mobile BP. Not sure if PIT has a priority lane for status pax but if it does you can use it. Your status is noted on the mobile BP and you may have to show it to someone before entering the line
psusaver likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:05 am

questions about Admirals Club membership

I don't know OneWorld well, so pls be easy on me.

My home is SEA and since pandemic have been almost exclusively DL because my AMEx Plat Card gives access to DL lounge and also my travel's been mostly domestic (LAX, DEN, SFO, SLC).

But I need a new strategy for lounge access because I'm not renewing AMEx Plat this year and I plan to start gradually flying again to Jpn/TYO and SE Asia. I thought about Delta Reserve card but it's too restrictive with no family members allowed for free despite $550 AF.

So I'm thinking about Chase UA Infinite Card, AS Lounge+ membership, and Citi AA Exec World Elite.
Again, I'm a SEA-based flyer mainly interested in lounge access for me and the family, not worried about status, probably would start flying mostly AS for domestic and JL for TPAC if I decide to switch allegiance to OneWorld.

My questions:
1). Does Admirals Club membership (obtained via Citi AA cc) offer unlimited access to all OneWorld business class lounges similar to UA Club membership with all Star Alliance lounges? For example, a UA Club member flying EVA out of HKG can access any one of HKG's three Star business lounges (UC, Thai, Silverkris). With Admirals Club membership, can I access Cathay business lounge flying JL?

2). Is there any reason for me to choose AS Lounge+ ($600) over Citi AA cc ($450)? Whether you're flying AA or AS, it seems like they offer mostly same benefit.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by evergrn
My questions:
1). Does Admirals Club membership (obtained via Citi AA cc) offer unlimited access to all OneWorld business class lounges similar to UA Club membership with all Star Alliance lounges? For example, a UA Club member flying EVA out of HKG can access any one of HKG's three Star business lounges (UC, Thai, Silverkris). With Admirals Club membership, can I access Cathay business lounge flying JL?

2). Is there any reason for me to choose AS Lounge+ ($600) over Citi AA cc ($450)? Whether you're flying AA or AS, it seems like they offer mostly same benefit.
1) No. You can access select partner and 3rd party international lounges but only when you are departing on AA (or the QF clubs in Australia if flying on QF).

2) Not familiar with AS Lounge+, but with an AC membership you can access the AS clubs when flying on AA or AS.

A full list of the AC locations and international and partner lounges you can access can be found on this page at aa.com, scroll down to the bottom.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I don't know OneWorld well, so pls be easy on me.

My home is SEA and since pandemic have been almost exclusively DL because my AMEx Plat Card gives access to DL lounge and also my travel's been mostly domestic (LAX, DEN, SFO, SLC).

But I need a new strategy for lounge access because I'm not renewing AMEx Plat this year and I plan to start gradually flying again to Jpn/TYO and SE Asia. I thought about Delta Reserve card but it's too restrictive with no family members allowed for free despite $550 AF.

So I'm thinking about Chase UA Infinite Card, AS Lounge+ membership, and Citi AA Exec World Elite.
Again, I'm a SEA-based flyer mainly interested in lounge access for me and the family, not worried about status, probably would start flying mostly AS for domestic and JL for TPAC if I decide to switch allegiance to OneWorld.

My questions:

Have you considered replacing your Amex Platinum with another card that provides Priority Pass membership, such as the new Capital One Venture X card?
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
1) No. You can access select partner and 3rd party international lounges but only when you are departing on AA (or the QF clubs in Australia if flying on QF).

2) Not familiar with AS Lounge+, but with an AC membership you can access the AS clubs when flying on AA or AS.

A full list of the AC locations and international and partner lounges you can access can be found on this page at aa.com, scroll down to the bottom.
Thanks.
That's a real bummer that Admirals Club membership does not give you access to any OneWorld lounge.
Clearly UA Club membership wins in that department, although Admirals Club membership will be easier to use for domestic travels out of SEA.
That's a tough one.

Originally Posted by guv1976
Have you considered replacing your Amex Platinum with another card that provides Priority Pass membership, such as the new Capital One Venture X card?
I already have another card that provides PP membership. PP really came in handy for the first time in ~3 years flying out of IAD last week, but that was an exception and for the most part PP lost value for me after Plaza Premium dropped out.

Do Admirals Clubs (and Alaska lounges) make it easy for you to take stuff to go?
DL and UA lounges have paper cups and lids so you can make a quick stop and take stuff to go. Can't do that at all at Centurion.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks.
That's a real bummer that Admirals Club membership does not give you access to any OneWorld lounge.
Clearly UA Club membership wins in that department, although Admirals Club membership will be easier to use for domestic travels out of SEA.
That's a tough one.

I already have another card that provides PP membership. PP really came in handy for the first time in ~3 years flying out of IAD last week, but that was an exception and for the most part PP lost value for me after Plaza Premium dropped out.
OK. But I see that there are two participating Priority Pass lounge locations at SEA, so I thought that that would prove useful to you if you do not otherwise have lounge access.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA Gold
What is the free checked baggage allowance on domestic first class (two cabins)? I read somewhere that it was two bags but I cannot find anything here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp that would confirm that. Sorry for being slow!
Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by BAECAddict
What is the free checked baggage allowance on domestic first class (two cabins)? I read somewhere that it was two bags but I cannot find anything here: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...age-policy.jsp that would confirm that. Sorry for being slow!
2 bags at 70lbs.
BAECAddict likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2022, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BAECAddict
If you are asking for yourself and you are still BA Gold, you would get three free checked bags in AA two-class F.
wrp96 and BAECAddict like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.