Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2022, 12:23 pm

I have a very, very stupid question here. I've never found myself in this scenario, so I've never had the need to find this out.

If I'm flying through JFK and my flight is out of Terminal 5, can I go through security in Terminal 8 and take advantage of the lounge before my flight? Or will I only be able to enter the terminal that my ticket is for? (I have a 7+ hour layover, and there's no lounge in Terminal 5)
Old Feb 9, 2022, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by pitweasel1
I have a very, very stupid question here. I've never found myself in this scenario, so I've never had the need to find this out.

If I'm flying through JFK and my flight is out of Terminal 5, can I go through security in Terminal 8 and take advantage of the lounge before my flight? Or will I only be able to enter the terminal that my ticket is for? (I have a 7+ hour layover, and there's no lounge in Terminal 5)
This will vary by airport, but I believe at JFK you can access any terminal as long as you have a same day boarding pass. What is your itinerary/airlines and what lounge at T8 are you hoping to use?
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
This will vary by airport, but I believe at JFK you can access any terminal as long as you have a same day boarding pass. What is your itinerary/airlines and what lounge at T8 are you hoping to use?
Flying in from Qatar in business and am Platinum on American. Between the two, it looks to me like that should get me access to the AA Flagship lounge in T8, but the final leg of my journey is a JetBlue flight leaving out of T5.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying in from Qatar in business and am Platinum on American. Between the two, it looks to me like that should get me access to the AA Flagship lounge in T8, but the final leg of my journey is a JetBlue flight leaving out of T5.
Is your JetBlue flight booked as an AA codeshare (AA flight number)? If yes, then you should have access to the FL, although things are a little bit wonky with B6 flights.

But if it's booked as a normal B6 flight number then you won't have any lounge access at JFK, unfortunately.
Old Feb 9, 2022, 3:58 pm

Is your JetBlue flight booked as an AA codeshare (AA flight number)? If yes, then you should have access to the FL, although things are a little bit wonky with B6 flights.

But if it's booked as a normal B6 flight number then you won't have any lounge access at JFK, unfortunately.
Flight isn't booked yet, but the last time I went through, it was B6. Which...sounds bad, apparently. I thought JetBlue and AA were partners now? I'm not the one booking travel. Is there something I can do to try to get the right coding on the ticket?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
New Platinum member

Hi All, I have a family of 6, we will be traveling together. Do I and the other 5 have complimentary seating available due to my status? I am able to seat up to 8 in economy plus on United, not sure of the AA rules…TIA
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Flight isn't booked yet, but the last time I went through, it was B6. Which...sounds bad, apparently. I thought JetBlue and AA were partners now? I'm not the one booking travel. Is there something I can do to try to get the right coding on the ticket?
JetBlue and AA are partners BUT you would be accessing the Flagship Lounge under oneworld rules, and JetBlue isn't a member of oneworld. So if your onward flight isn't on AA (or an AA code), then no access at JFK. If you were eligible for access, then yes you could enter T8 with a boarding pass for T5 for purposes of using the lounge.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Hi All, I have a family of 6, we will be traveling together. Do I and the other 5 have complimentary seating available due to my status? I am able to seat up to 8 in economy plus on United, not sure of the AA rules…TIA
The benefit applies to up to 8 passengers traveling with you on the same reservation.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 9:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by wrp96
The benefit applies to up to 8 passengers traveling with you on the same reservation.
thanks for the speedy reply!
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
JetBlue and AA are partners BUT you would be accessing the Flagship Lounge under oneworld rules, and JetBlue isn't a member of oneworld. So if your onward flight isn't on AA (or an AA code), then no access at JFK. If you were eligible for access, then yes you could enter T8 with a boarding pass for T5 for purposes of using the lounge.
But even if no Flagship Lounge access, would Admirals Club access be allowed, based on being an arriving passenger in QR Business?
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
But even if no Flagship Lounge access, would Admirals Club access be allowed, based on being an arriving passenger in QR Business?
No, in order to access lounges via the oneworld rules you need a departing or onward oneworld flight, there's no arrivals access.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
No, in order to access lounges via the oneworld rules you need a departing or onward oneworld flight, there's no arrivals access.
That might be the oneworld rule, but what about AA's rule?

"Admittance

As of November 1, 2019, a boarding pass for same-day travel on an eligible flight is required for entry. An "eligible flight" includes any departing or arriving flight that is (1) marketed or operated by American, (2) marketed and operated by any oneworldŽ carrier, or (3) marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines." (Emphasis added.)

Source: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...conditions.jsp

Last edited by guv1976; Feb 10, 2022 at 10:39 am
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
That might be the oneworld rule, but what about AA's rule?

"Admittance

As of November 1, 2019, a boarding pass for same-day travel on an eligible flight is required for entry. An "eligible flight" includes any departing or arriving flight that is (1) marketed or operated by American, (2) marketed and operated by any oneworldŽ carrier, or (3) marketed and operated by Alaska Airlines." (Emphasis added.)

Source: https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...conditions.jsp
Right, but accessing an Admiral's Club as a member and accessing any lounge via oneworld rules are two entirely different things.

If you're an AC member trying to access an AC then it doesn't matter whether you're arriving or departing, just need a same day boarding pass as mentioned in the rules.

But to access an AC or FL via oneworld rules (via the QR business class flight) you definitely need an onward oneworld flight for access.

Now if the poster above is an AC member, then they would have no problem accessing the AC in T8 after their QR flight (just not the FL).
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:52 am

Programs: AAdvantage, HH, SPG Gold
Wow, what a confusing mess the website is! I have a trip planned ACT-ORD-ATH in October. The first two legs are Economy (V) and the transatlantic leg is Premium Economy (P). How is the baggage policy applied. Can't figure out how many checked bags are allowed. Thanks for the help.
Old Feb 10, 2022, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sweetone
Wow, what a confusing mess the website is! I have a trip planned ACT-ORD-ATH in October. The first two legs are Economy (V) and the transatlantic leg is Premium Economy (P). How is the baggage policy applied. Can't figure out how many checked bags are allowed. Thanks for the help.
You get the Premium Economy checked bag allowance, which is 2 bags per pax, I believe.
Sweetone likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.