Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2022, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by tolho
I looked into the new AA loyalty program and am confused on how it works. I'm currently a gold member and have the platinum select credit card. I think that miles and loyalty points are earned by spend both on flights and regular spend but how much is required for each section now? And since I have the platinum select are gas and restaurant purchases doubled still?

Thanks for the clarification!
You are correct in that Loyalty Points are now earned for spending on flights as well as with some partners (AAdvantage credit cards, shopping portal, some hotels, rental cars, etc.)

For spending on credit cards you only earn 1 LP per dollar, you don't receive any extra LP's for bonus spend categories like grocery, gas, restaurants, etc.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...te-status.html
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:12 am

Phoenix lounge for First/Business (I)

So we're flying at the beginning of March from Seattle to Los Cabos with a stop in Phoenix. Looks like we'll be there for almost three hours. We'll be flying First (I) for the SEA->PHX and Business (I) for PHX->SJD.

Can we access the Admiral's Club while there? I have priority pass but they don't have a lounge there.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by pampa
So we're flying at the beginning of March from Seattle to Los Cabos with a stop in Phoenix. Looks like we'll be there for almost three hours. We'll be flying First (I) for the SEA->PHX and Business (I) for PHX->SJD.

Can we access the Admiral's Club while there? I have priority pass but they don't have a lounge there.

Yes by virtue of the business class flight to Cabo you’ll have access to the Admiral’s club
pampa likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum Elite
AA award cancelation

How long before a flight do I have to cancel an AAdvantage award (flying AA, not a partner) and get my miles redeposited? Assuming I don't check in, could I still cancel the award an hour before the scheduled departure and not be penalized in anyway (i.e full refund of miles and taxes/surcharges). Not looking to abuse the system, but I just may need some flexibility on some upcoming flights.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by number41
How long before a flight do I have to cancel an AAdvantage award (flying AA, not a partner) and get my miles redeposited? Assuming I don't check in, could I still cancel the award an hour before the scheduled departure and not be penalized in anyway (i.e full refund of miles and taxes/surcharges). Not looking to abuse the system, but I just may need some flexibility on some upcoming flights.
Anytime before the scheduled departure time.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
How do I use 500-mile upgrade tickets as gold status? I have a few of them and want to use them for a flight. Is there a way to request the upgrade when I buy a ticket online (I don't see a place for this)? Is there a way to use them online after buying my ticket (I don't see a place for this)? Or do I have to call AA after I book to request an upgrade using the 500-mile tickets? Thanks
Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by lawly
How do I use 500-mile upgrade tickets as gold status? I have a few of them and want to use them for a flight. Is there a way to request the upgrade when I buy a ticket online (I don't see a place for this)? Is there a way to use them online after buying my ticket (I don't see a place for this)? Or do I have to call AA after I book to request an upgrade using the 500-mile tickets? Thanks
During that process of buying on AA.com it asks for upgrade to be applied to segments with check boxes displayed against each segment. For eg, earlier today I was testing out a PIT-SEA (rt) [Routed through ORD or CLT]. It asked me with check boxes if I wanted to apply upgrades against each of those segments.

So just keep clicking continue and go through the process (while logged into your aa account, as only Gold and above have the benefit of applying upgrades)
lawly likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 10:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond
Thank you! I realized the only flights I've booked since I got gold status have been award flights and that must not have the option when checking out. Was looking to upgrade on my next flight so thanks for putting me at ease
psusaver likes this.
Old Jan 20, 2022, 11:14 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Anytime before the scheduled departure time.
Is this true for International AA Awards as well?
Old Jan 21, 2022, 2:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, SW A List Preferred
Trouble buying upgrade online

Hi All,

I didn't see a thread for this, but as it might be a one-off issue I didn't think it deserved its own thread, so I'm hoping someone in here can help me out.

I've got a r/t TATL flight next week in PE. There's a decent offer to upgrade to business on one of the legs, so I've been trying to make the purchase, but each time, I get through the process, choose my seat, submit payment and....get an error message stating "Our system is having trouble right now, please try again later."

It's been over 24 hours, so it seems like if this were a system issue, it would have been making some noise. On the other hand, the way the message is written, AA is indicating this is an issue on their end, not mine (FWIW, I've checked the credit card, and it's not a balance issue, nor have I gotten any fraud alerts).

I've tried using various browsers (chrome, safari) and the app, and I've gotten the same message each time. I tried using the chatbot on the app, but it didn't really go anywhere.

I'm a bit reluctant to call, both because of hold times, and generally not liking making payments over the phone, so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has experienced anything similar and/or has any suggestions.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 5:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Is this true for International AA Awards as well?
Yes, all awards, domestic and int'l, on AA and partners.

As long as you cancel before the scheduled departure time you can get the miles amd taxes/fees refunded. Just pull up the resevation at aa.com at click "cancel".
Old Jan 21, 2022, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by Chalmers3716
Hi All,

I didn't see a thread for this, but as it might be a one-off issue I didn't think it deserved its own thread, so I'm hoping someone in here can help me out.

I've got a r/t TATL flight next week in PE. There's a decent offer to upgrade to business on one of the legs, so I've been trying to make the purchase, but each time, I get through the process, choose my seat, submit payment and....get an error message stating "Our system is having trouble right now, please try again later."

It's been over 24 hours, so it seems like if this were a system issue, it would have been making some noise. On the other hand, the way the message is written, AA is indicating this is an issue on their end, not mine (FWIW, I've checked the credit card, and it's not a balance issue, nor have I gotten any fraud alerts).

I've tried using various browsers (chrome, safari) and the app, and I've gotten the same message each time. I tried using the chatbot on the app, but it didn't really go anywhere.

I'm a bit reluctant to call, both because of hold times, and generally not liking making payments over the phone, so I thought I'd check here to see if anyone has experienced anything similar and/or has any suggestions.
You'll need to call. I've given AA my CC info over the phone dozens of times. Never an issue.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 7:51 am

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by lawly
Thank you! I realized the only flights I've booked since I got gold status have been award flights and that must not have the option when checking out. Was looking to upgrade on my next flight so thanks for putting me at ease
Just to be clear, I have only seen this - never done it. Also I reached AA Gold just now on Jan 18th but have been planning short domestic hops before end of Feb to see if I can climb up further.
Old Jan 21, 2022, 9:58 am

Programs: AA-Platinum Pro
American North America to Europe Timetables

Is there an easy way (via aa.com or a third-party website) to find an accurate listing of current AA flight offerings from their various US Hubs to various European destinations? In the old days, airlines published timetables and/or had fancy route maps showing current routes flown. I cannot find either for American. Basically, I need to know where in Europe I can get non-stop on AA from their various hubs here in the US.

Thanks
-Jiddywop!
Old Jan 21, 2022, 10:39 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by jiddywop
Is there an easy way (via aa.com or a third-party website) to find an accurate listing of current AA flight offerings from their various US Hubs to various European destinations? In the old days, airlines published timetables and/or had fancy route maps showing current routes flown. I cannot find either for American. Basically, I need to know where in Europe I can get non-stop on AA from their various hubs here in the US.

Thanks
-Jiddywop!
A quick Google search found this: https://www.flightconnections.com/ro...an-airlines-aa which might help. It's a bit of a haystack though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.