Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by neandertard
We arrive in LAX at the TBIT at 6:05 am on AA72 from SYD, and have a connection with AA to Aspen that leaves at 8:00 am from Gate 52, which I understand to be a remote gate to which we travel by bus from Terminal 5.

Is 1:55 going to be enough time to make our connection? Seems optimistic to me, but there are no other options with AA other than via Phoenix or Dallas...
​​​​​​Assuming that AA72 arrives on time, then it just depends on how long it takes you to get through Immigration and Customs, and how long it takes you to clear TSA security, as you will be landside after Customs.

AA does have interline agreements with both DL and UA, so AA could -- if it wished -- re-accommodate you on those carriers' later nonstops to ASE (if there are seats available).
Old Jan 14, 2022, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by neandertard
We arrive in LAX at the TBIT at 6:05 am on AA72 from SYD, and have a connection with AA to Aspen that leaves at 8:00 am from Gate 52, which I understand to be a remote gate to which we travel by bus from Terminal 5.

Is 1:55 going to be enough time to make our connection? Seems optimistic to me, but there are no other options with AA other than via Phoenix or Dallas...
Are both flights on the same ticket/PNR? Or 2 separate tickets?
If 1 ticket bags will tagged with the 2nd flight, so that may save time after immigration/customs
AA72 has been arriving early recently (for most days)-->https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/aa72
Old Jan 16, 2022, 8:33 am

Basic Economy Gold Benefits

Hello
i was gifted gold by AA so im new to all this. I want to go cle - dfw - mad. If i buy basic economy would i still get the free checked bag and be able to use 500 mile upgrade for the cle - dfw leg??
Old Jan 16, 2022, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by rashodw
Hello
i was gifted gold by AA so im new to all this. I want to go cle - dfw - mad. If i buy basic economy would i still get the free checked bag and be able to use 500 mile upgrade for the cle - dfw leg??
Yes and yes.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:01 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
I want to use miles to upgrade my flight (buying either main cabin and upgrade to Premium eco or buying PE and upgrading tp Biz). Is there a way to do this online or does it require a phone call to book?

United allows this sort of stuff online.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:18 am

The AA website is confusing me a tad bit. I’m flying CHS-MIA in F followed by MIA-LIR (Costa Rica) in J. Will I have access to any lounges in MIA? If so, which one is best?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
I want to use miles to upgrade my flight (buying either main cabin and upgrade to Premium eco or buying PE and upgrading tp Biz). Is there a way to do this online or does it require a phone call to book?

You have to call. And as of now a miles/copay upgrade goes from either economy or PE to business (there is no way to upgrade with miles from economy to PE).
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TravelinSperry

You can pay online for MCE using miles or dollars.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
Are “all” C fare buckets upgradable at booking?

I may be missing something.. I’m a UA million-mile victim — uh, I mean frequent flyer?— so please forgive me!
I think I’ve read that I can upgrade a flight on AA with miles *at booking time* as long as there are available seats in the ‘C’ bucket. Is this true regardless of whether you’re upgrading from Economy to Premium Econ or from PremEcon to Business?

It seems a little odd that there would be a single fare bucket that handles both of these upgrades as I’d expect AA’s internal “pricing” to treat that inventory very differently, but I’ve certainly seen/heard of weirder things.

Asked another way… if I see a non-zero value for C in expertflyer on an aircraft/route that has E/PE/J seating… can I expect to be able to do EITHER:
- buy a non-basic economy ticket and upgrade it at booking time for the 25k/$350 on the chart
- buy a discounted premium economy ticket (P) and confirm the upgrade at booking for the 25k/$350 on the chart?

Or is there something else going on that I haven’t understood?
Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:09 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
Yes and yes.
when i do it basic economy it says unavailable but when i do it main it allows me to request upgrade. Am i doing something wrong.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 1:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton something
when i do it basic economy it says unavailable but when i do it main it allows me to request upgrade. Am i doing something wrong.
basic economy tickets are not upgradable
rashodw likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by ljwobker
Maybe aa.com needs to be updated, but this page indicates that Basic Economy tickets are upgradeable:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp
​​​​​​
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Asked another way… if I see a non-zero value for C in expertflyer on an aircraft/route that has E/PE/J seating… can I expect to be able to do EITHER:
- buy a non-basic economy ticket and upgrade it at booking time for the 25k/$350 on the chart
- buy a discounted premium economy ticket (P) and confirm the upgrade at booking for the 25k/$350 on the chart?

Or is there something else going on that I haven’t understood?
Yep, if there is C space available you can upgrade either economy or premium economy to business for the 25k + $350 each way (currently there's no way to upgrade from economy to PE using miles).

When youre searching ExpertFlyer make sure you're using the Award & Upgrade search, and you must search segment by segment to see the real availability.
TravelinSperry likes this.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 2:33 pm

Thats why I came here to ask cause I kept getting conflicting answers on everything I researched.
Old Jan 16, 2022, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
Maybe aa.com needs to be updated, but this page indicates that Basic Economy tickets are upgradeable:

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp
​​​​​​
Thats why I came here to ask cause I kept getting conflicting answers on everything I researched.
I know from personal experience that Basic Economy fares are upgradeable. I also remember that I couldn't do it online with the app but I was able to do it using the computer. You may want to spend time on making a phone call to AA if the issue continues.
guv1976 and rashodw like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.