Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:34 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Platinum

Status matched into platinum…can I use my current miles balance to buy the 500 mile upgrade certs?? TIA
Old Feb 14, 2022, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Status matched into platinum…can I use my current miles balance to buy the 500 mile upgrade certs?? TIA
Technically yes although this is an absolutely horrible use of miles. 40k miles = 8 500-mi. upgrade stickers.

You are much (much) better off to just use miles/co-pay upgrades. For example a one-way upgrade (up to 3 segments) anywhere in the lower 48, Alaska, Canada, Caribbean is only 15k miles + $75.
Old Feb 14, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Ambassador, AA Platinum, Avis Pres Club, Hertz Pres Circle
Excellent, thanks for the info!! If I may ask another..looking at ORD to RNO in June. Price just went from 470 to 1,000+$ overnight. Is June too far out to have reliable schedules at this time?
Old Feb 14, 2022, 8:46 am

Am flying on Qatar from ord to mnl in March. I am exec platinum and am flying with my 3 kids. Will I get access to the lounge in Doha (with my kids) or no?

Any other exec plat benefits that I can avail of on Qatar?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jimdarcy
Excellent, thanks for the info!! If I may ask another..looking at ORD to RNO in June. Price just went from 470 to 1,000+$ overnight. Is June too far out to have reliable schedules at this time?
Welll schedules and fares are 2 different things.

As far as schedules go, AA just processed its latest batch of changes up through May a week or two ago, so there could still be changes coming for June.

But for fares, they can and will fluctuate based on demand, loads, the market, timing, and a host of other factors. June is still a long way off so I'd fully expect that to come back down. And often if you're checking around the times AA loads changes things can get very wonky for a few days until the changes fully flow through.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Am flying on Qatar from ord to mnl in March. I am exec platinum and am flying with my 3 kids. Will I get access to the lounge in Doha (with my kids) or no?

Any other exec plat benefits that I can avail of on Qatar?
What class? If business then it will of course be no problem for all of you to access the QR Al-Mourjan lounge in DOH.

If economy, then by the rules you only get one guest, although sometimes lounge agents will let the kids in as well. But in DOH I wouldn't count on this, especially if the kids are older. And this would be for the generic "First Class" lounge in DOH that QR provides for Emeralds traveling in economy.

As to EXP benefits, standard oneworld suite, preferred seating, priority boarding, bags, etc.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Welll schedules and fares are 2 different things.

As far as schedules go, AA just processed its latest batch of changes up through May a week or two ago, so there could still be changes coming for June.

But for fares, they can and will fluctuate based on demand, loads, the market, timing, and a host of other factors. June is still a long way off so I'd fully expect that to come back down. And often if you're checking around the times AA loads changes things can get very wonky for a few days until the changes fully flow through.

makes sense, thanks!
Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:46 am

Programs: American Airlines
I was hoping someone could give me some info. I am flying from ORD to LHR on March 1st on AA86. I have been monitoring the flight and for the last 12 days, every third flight has been cancelled. Is that some crazy coincidence, should i be concerned since my flight is on that same third day that the others have been cancelled? I tried to DM American on Twitter and they gave me a vague answer. My questions are, is there a way to find out why these cancellations are happening? It doesn't seem like weather is an issue. Also if my flight gets cancelled, that is the only nonstop flight through American each day. Would i have to wait until the next day to fly or would they try to get me on a partner flight like British Airways? Thank you..
Old Feb 15, 2022, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by jorozen
I was hoping someone could give me some info. I am flying from ORD to LHR on March 1st on AA86. I have been monitoring the flight and for the last 12 days, every third flight has been cancelled. Is that some crazy coincidence, should i be concerned since my flight is on that same third day that the others have been cancelled? I tried to DM American on Twitter and they gave me a vague answer. My questions are, is there a way to find out why these cancellations are happening? It doesn't seem like weather is an issue. Also if my flight gets cancelled, that is the only nonstop flight through American each day. Would i have to wait until the next day to fly or would they try to get me on a partner flight like British Airways? Thank you..
No rhyme or reason to why they are cancelling. If it did cancel on your day, they would absolutely try and reroute you on another flight with availability, like on partner BA, or if not too late, have you connect through another city to get to LHR.
jorozen likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jorozen
Yesterday's was maintenance related - I can't look back further. You can find the reasons with an Expert Flyer website subscription.
jorozen likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 8:41 am

Programs: AA - EXP
Hi there, bit of a two parter question...

I'm trying to travel JFK - LHR - EDI and then WAW - LHR- CLT ATL in a single ticket (via multi trip on AA). Is there anyway I can book the last leg for 3 additional pax using miles so they are on my PNR?

The reason being is I'm trying to utilize my EXP baggage allowance, follow up question being, the first ticket of the return (WAW - LHR) is operated by BA (ticketed by AA), will BA honor my EXP allowance as the LHR- CLT - ATL is all AA metal?

Thank you as always!
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:11 am

What class? If business then it will of course be no problem for all of you to access the QR Al-Mourjan lounge in DOH.

If economy, then by the rules you only get one guest, although sometimes lounge agents will let the kids in as well. But in DOH I wouldn't count on this, especially if the kids are older. And this would be for the generic "First Class" lounge in DOH that QR provides for Emeralds traveling in economy.

As to EXP benefits, standard oneworld suite, preferred seating, priority boarding, bags, etc.
Am flying in economy, my older son is 16 the other 2 kids are 12 and 10. So no entry then?
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mosfet
Hi there, bit of a two parter question...

I'm trying to travel JFK - LHR - EDI and then WAW - LHR- CLT ATL in a single ticket (via multi trip on AA). Is there anyway I can book the last leg for 3 additional pax using miles so they are on my PNR?

The reason being is I'm trying to utilize my EXP baggage allowance, follow up question being, the first ticket of the return (WAW - LHR) is operated by BA (ticketed by AA), will BA honor my EXP allowance as the LHR- CLT - ATL is all AA metal?

Thank you as always!
1) No, in order for any pax to be on the same PNR they must have the exact same itinerary and booking class. You will have to book the other 3 pax as a separate reservation. But you can call AA once booked and get all of you seated together in MCE/preferred seats on that last segment.

2) Yes, BA will honor your EXP allowance.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ZBigFam
Am flying in economy, my older son is 16 the other 2 kids are 12 and 10. So no entry then?
You can certainly try but I wouldn't expect to be let in, especially given that the kids are on the older side. That lounge may have a pay per use option, so depending on how long of a connection you have that might be an option. I would do some research on the QR forum.
Old Feb 15, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: AA - EXP
1) No, in order for any pax to be on the same PNR they must have the exact same itinerary and booking class. You will have to book the other 3 pax as a separate reservation. But you can call AA once booked and get all of you seated together in MCE/preferred seats on that last segment.

2) Yes, BA will honor your EXP allowance.
Thank you! One final question, everyone needs to be on my PNR / Itinerary to get my EXP allowance (3x 72 lb?)

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.