Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2022, 8:45 am

How to cancel refundable fare

Hi, I booked an economy refundable fare for a flight that is taking off later today. I don’t think I’ll need it anymore so I went to cancel it and the only refund option I’m getting is to get a travel credit. I tried both on the app and through a browser on my phone. What am I doing wrong or do I have to call in? I did try calling and put in a callback request but its 4+ hours away
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:23 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Yea, 12.5k is the standard sAAver amount for economy BOS-MIA, and 25k is for first/business. Any other amounts like 10k or 12k are web special.

Note that some flights that are available as web specials are also available as sAAver, so if you click on the 10k flight a window will pop up asking if you want to book it as a 10k web special or 12.5k sAAver.
I tried adding a segment from BOS-PHL-PBI which was priced at 23.5k per ticket and I was told it would be 75k miles additional per ticket to add it. Then I asked about an Econ ticket BOS-MIA which was 11.5 (it’s 14k now of course) and was told it’s not a saaver award so I can’t add it to my trip without paying additional miles.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 10:28 am

Refundable fare cancellation help

See earlier post

Last edited by bradpitch92; Feb 24, 2022 at 10:29 am Reason: Duplicate post
Old Feb 24, 2022, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by bcpoinciana
I tried adding a segment from BOS-PHL-PBI which was priced at 23.5k per ticket and I was told it would be 75k miles additional per ticket to add it. Then I asked about an Econ ticket BOS-MIA which was 11.5 (it’s 14k now of course) and was told it’s not a saaver award so I can’t add it to my trip without paying additional miles.
All AA segments on a partner award must be MileSAAver seats. For Economy Class, that means 12,500 AAdvantage miles (no less, no more) for Lower 48 domestic flights -- except for domestic nonstops of 500 miles or less, for which the Economy Class MileSAAver award is priced at 7,500 AAdvantage miles.

Note that where a partner airline is the "most significant carrier" on an award, you might not even be able to add a particular AA MileSAAver segment, unless the MSC has a published cash fare that permits the particular routing.
bcpoinciana likes this.
Old Feb 24, 2022, 2:47 pm

LHR to SEA - Business service

Hi,

I’ll be flying AA to SEA from LHR (and back) in a few weeks and have a question about service.

I’ll be in Business and whilst I understand that there’s a chance of getting the old Concept D seats (I’ve looked at seat plans and made sure I’ve gotten a seat that’ll be forward facing in that eventuality), but I’m genuinely curious about what the service will be like…

This’ll be the first time I’ve flown AA Business since 2019 and wondered what I can expect in these Covid times…
Old Feb 24, 2022, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Plat
Is is possible to use an AA Flight Credit and an eVoucher in combination for a booking? The value of the 2 combined still leave a balance which I'd pay via credit card. I cannot execute this on AA.com. Standard AA domestic, main cabin, for myself only.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 2:02 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum.
Originally Posted by vasantn
Many of us are gambling that it will. Some are skeptical. We'll know in 5 days unless AA delays the LP reporting rollout.
I actually checked the FAQ and called to confirm: sounds like we're good. American Airlines AAdvantage® members

Starting in 2022, AAdvantage® base miles earned through hotels reservations made on rocketmiles.com will count toward Loyalty Points and AAdvantage® status (members will earn 1 Loyalty Point for every AAdvantage® base mile earned.) AAdvantage® bonus miles (such as bonus for first-time or repeat users) do not count towards Loyalty Points, AAdvantage® status, or AAdvantage® Million Miler(SM) status. Contact the AAdvantage® team for additional questions related to the AAdvantage® Loyalty Program.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by alexrubens
I actually checked the FAQ and called to confirm: sounds like we're good. American Airlines AAdvantage® members

Starting in 2022, AAdvantage® base miles earned through hotels reservations made on rocketmiles.com will count toward Loyalty Points and AAdvantage® status (members will earn 1 Loyalty Point for every AAdvantage® base mile earned.) AAdvantage® bonus miles (such as bonus for first-time or repeat users) do not count towards Loyalty Points, AAdvantage® status, or AAdvantage® Million Miler(SM) status. Contact the AAdvantage® team for additional questions related to the AAdvantage® Loyalty Program.
Yep, that's what most of us are relying on. All the miles are posting as base miles so far, but Rocketmiles breaks them into two tranches which it calls "base miles" and "promo miles". They post as two separate line items. It would be easy enough for AA to say on March 1 that these promo miles are actually bonus miles and not LPs.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:24 pm

I have an AAdvantage award on JL, NRT-MEL, for 4 pax in J. I have replaced it (and another award SEA-NRT connecting to it, booked through QFF and already canceled) with a nonstop YVR-SYD on QF and using QFF miles.

If I cancel online, will it redeposit miles automatically? Or is this the kind of thing I want to do on the phone with an agent?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum.
Starting March 1, if I'm flying a route in F that's available on both American and British, is there a benefit to going with BA for the class of service bonus or does that not affect LP?
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Starting March 1, if I'm flying a route in F that's available on both American and British, is there a benefit to going with BA for the class of service bonus or does that not affect LP?
Probably, but it all depends.

LP Calculator
Old Feb 25, 2022, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
It depends on what the fare (before taxes) would be on the AA-coded flight.
Old Feb 25, 2022, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
It depends on what the fare (before taxes) would be on the AA-coded flight.
As well as the BA fare code.
guv1976 likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 8:30 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
How close to departure may I cancel a flight to get a trip credit?
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
How close to departure may I cancel a flight to get a trip credit?
A nanosecond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.