Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Website Log-in failure

Been trying to login at aa.com, but upon entering Aadvantage number, last name and PW, it opens the following site:

"We're working on our site

Please start over by returning to the Home Page. AA Home Page

Thank you for your patience."

I then click on "AA Home Page" link and the whole process repeats itself .... ???
Any idea what I can do?
Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Been trying to login at aa.com, but upon entering Aadvantage number, last name and PW, it opens the following site:

"We're working on our site

Please start over by returning to the Home Page. AA Home Page

Thank you for your patience."

I then click on "AA Home Page" link and the whole process repeats itself .... ???
Any idea what I can do?
Wait.
Old Jan 25, 2022, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Wait.
thanks for your speedy reply!

Came across this over the past 3-4 days; given that how much longer is this to stay like that?
(maybe I missed a related announcement by AA?)
Old Jan 25, 2022, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
thanks for your speedy reply!

Came across this over the past 3-4 days; given that how much longer is this to stay like that?
(maybe I missed a related announcement by AA?)
I haven't heard anything about a problem with aa.com. Perhaps try logging in through a different browser? Are you able to log in via the app?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:08 am

Does AA cancel speculative award bookings? Have a trip in Asia planned for this spring but that's looking less and less likely to happen each day due to Covid restrictions (lol at transiting through Hong Kong). So booking a different backup trip to Europe. I have a flight on May 10th from Japan, and a flight on May 11th from England. There's no way I could logistically make both flights, but will AA pick up on that and cancel one of them automatically or would I be safe since they leave on separate days?

Would they automatically cancel an award booking if both bookings departed or had travel overlap on the same days?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by BananaFusion
Does AA cancel speculative award bookings? Have a trip in Asia planned for this spring but that's looking less and less likely to happen each day due to Covid restrictions (lol at transiting through Hong Kong). So booking a different backup trip to Europe. I have a flight on May 10th from Japan, and a flight on May 11th from England. There's no way I could logistically make both flights, but will AA pick up on that and cancel one of them automatically or would I be safe since they leave on separate days?

Would they automatically cancel an award booking if both bookings departed or had travel overlap on the same days?
You should have no problem given that the flights are both on different partner carriers and departing on different days.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Could someone point me to a wiki/forum post/thread that has most, if not all the abbreviations and acronyms used at Flyertalk/frequent flyer community. I keep searching for "abbreviations" and have nt come across something like that yet. Racking my brains/searching google for a while to understand that FFD is Flagship First Dining, or EXP is Executive Platinum etc are rather not what I would spend my time on if a resource exists somewhere. Thanks in advance (TIA).
Old Jan 26, 2022, 2:51 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by psusaver
Could someone point me to a wiki/forum post/thread that has most, if not all the abbreviations and acronyms used at Flyertalk/frequent flyer community. I keep searching for "abbreviations" and have nt come across something like that yet. Racking my brains/searching google for a while to understand that FFD is Flagship First Dining, or EXP is Executive Platinum etc are rather not what I would spend my time on if a resource exists somewhere. Thanks in advance (TIA).
https://www.flyertalk.com/glossary/
psusaver likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:23 pm

I just saw AA tier eligible with CC purchase. I can't do 30 flights needed to reach top so I'm looking at one tier down.
  • AAdvantage Platinum Pro status requires 125,000 Loyalty Points
  • AAdvantage Executive Platinum status requires 200,000 Loyalty Points
Would you recommend getting the PP status if I am hoping to get upgrade on Int flights? what's the chance to get upgrade on Dom with PP?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:00 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by larciel
I just saw AA tier eligible with CC purchase. I can't do 30 flights needed to reach top so I'm looking at one tier down.
Would you recommend getting the PP status if I am hoping to get upgrade on Int flights? what's the chance to get upgrade on Dom with PP?
Even if you don't fly 30 segments, you can still reach Executive Platinum status once you attain 200K Loyalty Points. You just won't be able to select any "Loyalty Choice Rewards" once you pass 125K Loyalty Points...

As for likelihood of upgrades, there's no obvious answer. It will highly depend on the routes you fly, when you're flying, etc. For example, if you're flying during peak periods when all the consultants are flying or during holidays/vacations times, then chances of upgrades in general are going to be harder. If you're flying mostly between hubs, where many passengers could be Executive Platinum, then your upgrade chances will be lower.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by JY1024
Even if you don't fly 30 segments, you can still reach Executive Platinum status once you attain 200K Loyalty Points. You just won't be able to select any "Loyalty Choice Rewards" once you pass 125K Loyalty Points...

As for likelihood of upgrades, there's no obvious answer. It will highly depend on the routes you fly, when you're flying, etc. For example, if you're flying during peak periods when all the consultants are flying or during holidays/vacations times, then chances of upgrades in general are going to be harder. If you're flying mostly between hubs, where many passengers could be Executive Platinum, then your upgrade chances will be lower.
so I get 1 choice at 125k and no more choice w/out 30 flights?

is this it?
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ce-rewards.jsp

and I pick one from the list? Seems like the 1 guaranteed upgrade voucher is the best deal. ?
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
so I get 1 choice at 125k and no more choice w/out 30 flights?

is this it?
https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...ce-rewards.jsp

and I pick one from the list? Seems like the 1 guaranteed upgrade voucher is the best deal. ?
A systemwide upgrade is not a "guaranteed upgrade voucher".

You don't even get 1 choice at 125K if you don't have the 30 segments.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I'm interested in flying into EWR via JetBlue and out PHL via AA. I'm looking for some convenience by booking both flights together, but I can't see B6 flights on aa.com so can I call AA CS and they can help me?

edit: oops, nevermind, I literally forgot to check advanced options.

Last edited by Raralith; Jan 26, 2022 at 5:39 pm
Old Jan 26, 2022, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
A systemwide upgrade is not a "guaranteed upgrade voucher".

You don't even get 1 choice at 125K if you don't have the 30 segments.
.... Not seeing much value then. thanks for the info!
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:08 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum
When I search for flights on AA and I change the dropdown from "American Airlines" to "All airlines", it doesn't work and it hasn't worked for the past few days. Is it that way for everyone? Has it been broken for a long time?

Related: When I find a somewhat reasonable AA fare on kayak for this trip I'm working on, when I try to click though the AA site says it's no longer available. Is this typical? I haven't seen it happen for other airlines in my search.

I'd like to book through AA if it's reasonable so my money stays there if I cancel, but should I just give up and book through BA? I'm starting to feel like maybe I picked the wrong airline to build status on, even though they're the only one that serves my home down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.