Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 15, 2022, 2:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, United Silver, SW A List Preferred
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Miles and Loyalty Points will be based on the base fare and the not the increased spend. So if your ticket was $200 and you spend another $100 to upgrade, you will earn only earn miles and LP's on the $200, not the additional $100.

And domestic first class on CLT-BOS does not come with any lounge access.
Hmm...disappointing, but good to know.

Thanks!
Old Nov 15, 2022, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Chalmers3716
I've got a flight coming up CLT-BOS. It's part of (but on a separate ticket from) a transatlantic trip over Christmas, plus a wedding (so, I'll have a bit of luggage).

Ticket is in economy, but I'm considering upgrading to 1st. When I look online, it specifically says that upgrading will not earn Loyalty Points, but my questions are, will I earned miles on the increased spend? And will I get lounge access in Charlotte?

For me, First isn't that important for such a short flight, but the price is pretty low (accounting for 2 checked bags) that it may be worth it for lounge, priority boarding, and mileage earn.

thanks.
It might not be as good of a deal as you think:

Checked Bags: Yes, 2 free bags for the CLT-BOS flight, but they will not check through to the other ticket. Would have to reclaim and re-check, paying bag fee again even if your onward flight is same day
Priority Boarding: Only for the CLT-BOS flight.
Lounge Access: No (needs to be the international leg in business) Day Passes available for $59 with no need to upgrade ticket.
Mileage Earn: You earn the same amount of miles as LPs, so no extra award mileage by upgrading if you aren't getting LPs.

Note: If you call AA to "upfare" instead of accepting an upgrade offer in-app or online, its the same as if you bought a first class ticket outright, and therefore would get the mileage and LPs. When you call to upfare you are exchanging your ticket to purchase a higher class one, basically buying a new ticket.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 6:45 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat, KE elite, United Gold
I have AA gold status(62.5k LP) and will be flying from GRU - MIA - SEA - DFW - GRU (Sao Paulo) in January.
Ticket class Q, V, one leg of P(Prem eco for GRU - MIA)

1) Free upgrade on international flight
I'm fairly new in AA program and it's difficult to figure out the upgrade system for international flights,
Does AA provide any status-based "free" upgrade for Business class?
I have a couple of experiences getting bumped up to C on KE and Asiana for long-haul flights (economy overbooking I assume)
Those free upgrade request only works within US right? I don't know if it's actually worth to have AA status being based in GRU

2) Best use of Award miles
With 173k award miles, what would be the best way of spending?
Upgrade this flight? Spend on award flight?
If i upgrade DFW -> GRU from Economy to Business, I need to pay 25000+350USD + 15000+possible tax and fee for biz class ??

Please help a AA newbie here.. Many thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2022, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by xrapidox
I have AA gold status(62.5k LP) and will be flying from GRU - MIA - SEA - DFW - GRU (Sao Paulo) in January.
Ticket class Q, V, one leg of P(Prem eco for GRU - MIA)

1) Free upgrade on international flight
I'm fairly new in AA program and it's difficult to figure out the upgrade system for international flights,
Does AA provide any status-based "free" upgrade for Business class?
I have a couple of experiences getting bumped up to C on KE and Asiana for long-haul flights (economy overbooking I assume)
Those free upgrade request only works within US right? I don't know if it's actually worth to have AA status being based in GRU

2) Best use of Award miles
With 173k award miles, what would be the best way of spending?
Upgrade this flight? Spend on award flight?
If i upgrade DFW -> GRU from Economy to Business, I need to pay 25000+350USD + 15000+possible tax and fee for biz class ??

Please help a AA newbie here.. Many thanks!
1) No, there are no free upgrades to business class on long haul flights.

2) Hands down your best use of miles will be to just get on the waitlist for an upgrade to business, it will be 25k miles + $350 each way, same price from discount economy or premium economy.

Finding business class award space on long haul flights is very difficult. I would check to see what space is available (if any) before even considering that. It will most likely cost an extortionate amount of miles, and plus you'd have to cancel your existing paid ticket.

Outside of the miles/copay upgrade, the only other realistic option to get into business is to just check your reservation at aa.com and in the AA app, AA frequently offers buy-up type upgrades.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:06 am

2) Hands down your best use of miles will be to just get on the waitlist for an upgrade to business, it will be 25k miles + $350 each way, same price from discount economy or premium economy.

Finding business class award space on long haul flights is very difficult. I would check to see what space is available (if any) before even considering that. It will most likely cost an extortionate amount of miles, and plus you'd have to cancel your existing paid ticket.

Outside of the miles/copay upgrade, the only other realistic option to get into business is to just check your reservation at aa.com and in the AA app, AA frequently offers buy-up type upgrades.
Thank you for the reply.
Is there any way to check the upgrade availability before purchasing the economy ticket?
I can see the award travel is available for my expected travel dates, does that mean it's also upgradable?

My friend got upgraded to biz from economy GRU -> SAN on LATAM flight for being an elite customer,
I guess i'll consider to convert to Latam program.. Delta's acquisition ruined all the planning :P
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Is this true for all status levels, or just not available for AA GOLD?
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by WannaTheater
All status levels
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
All status levels. Obviously, if one is EXP (or PPro) you may be able to use a SWU (if you have one), but most of us don't consider that a "complimentary" upgrade in the classic sense.

Regards
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum (Oneworld Emerald)
All status levels. There are no complimentary upgrades on long haul international flights for any AA elites (or elites on any other US carrier, to my knowledge). That said, there still is the slim chance for an operational upgrade (op up) if economy or premium economy is oversold, and higher elite tiers can get SWUs to use to upgrade long haul flights. Status is also used in the waitlist for instrument supported upgrades (SWU or miles + copay), so higher status can increase the chance you clear.
wrp96 and xrapidox like this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:26 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, IHG Platinum
Thanks all- I did not know this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Thanks all- I did not know this.
To my knowledge, there is no airline, anywhere, that gives completely complimentary upgrades to business on long haul flights (other than say an Op-up on an oversold flight or something, but that is completely random). All require some sort of payment instrument (SWU, miles+co-pay, etc.)

Regards
JJeffrey, wrp96 and xrapidox like this.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
To my knowledge, there is no airline, anywhere, that gives completely complimentary upgrades to business on long haul flights (other than say an Op-up on an oversold flight or something, but that is completely random). All require some sort of payment instrument (SWU, miles+co-pay, etc.)

Regards
yeah I believe it was OP-up for my case. had 4 cases of complimentray upgrade.
I'll go for the upgrade request, hope there arent many high status elits from Brazil
MIA - SEA seems not so popular either (I assume)
Old Nov 16, 2022, 4:43 pm

Programs: United 1K, Globalist Hyatt, Plat Marriott
Booked a 1 way flight on AA miles from ORD-HND in business class with 3 people through JAL via AA and it was ticketed 6 hours later. Our return flight from HND-ORD is booked through AA miles and booked at the same time as the 1st flight (Monday evening). The JAL return flight is still marked as Status: On request. I asked AA chat and they basically told me to be patient. These flights are in July.

What are the changes this doesn't get ticketed? I got them at 60K/miles each, so i'm afraid of AA coming back and saying it can't be ticketed and all the other return flights are now 170K/miles. I can grab a return flight 4 days later and don't want to lose that option in case this ticket doesn't get confirmed.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by mayday23
Booked a 1 way flight on AA miles from ORD-HND in business class with 3 people through JAL via AA and it was ticketed 6 hours later. Our return flight from HND-ORD is booked through AA miles and booked at the same time as the 1st flight (Monday evening). The JAL return flight is still marked as Status: On request. I asked AA chat and they basically told me to be patient. These flights are in July.

What are the changes this doesn't get ticketed? I got them at 60K/miles each, so i'm afraid of AA coming back and saying it can't be ticketed and all the other return flights are now 170K/miles. I can grab a return flight 4 days later and don't want to lose that option in case this ticket doesn't get confirmed.
You will be fine. Sometimes JL flights can take a bit to be ticketed.
Old Nov 16, 2022, 10:14 pm

Programs: TK *G, HHonors Gold, UA 0.547MM and ex-1K but we gave up on each other
How late can I change the frequent flyer account on an itinerary? A two leg flight on AA has my JetBlue Mosaic number, and I was able to select premium seating on the first leg. But with Mint prices going through the roof, I'd rather have the miles on AA. Can I still make that change during the layover?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.