Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NEWBIE LOUNGE 2022-2023: Ask AA newbie questions here - flame-free thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2023, 10:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Amil
sorry LAX to CUN on an upgraded ticket i got denied entry to lounge . I guess AA would treat AS elite members better assuming we grant them the same lounge access as AA

even the twitter team for AA said I should have access where as AS Twitter said the opposite
From AS website the qualifications:
  • First Class Lounge access:
    • For bookings made on/after November 18, 2022:
    • DISTANCE: Lounge access is granted to passengers traveling on a paid First Class or a First Class award ticket* on flights operated by Alaska Airlines where one flight has a distance of at least 2,100 miles on the day of the flight only, to all lounges in that day's itinerary, including connecting flights that are less than 2,100 miles. Lounge access is not included for family or other guests not traveling in First Class. Entrance into other airline clubrooms is not included with First Class fares or awards. To access the Alaska Lounge, passengers must show their eligible same-day First Class boarding pass to the Alaska Lounge Staff. Passengers traveling on a paid First Class or a First Class award ticket* where no single flights exceed 2,100 miles can purchase a discounted day pass** for $30.
  • *applies to fares booked in C, D, E, J, or I class.
So I guess the question would be what fare class was it booked into?
Old Jul 13, 2023, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Amil
sorry LAX to CUN on an upgraded ticket i got denied entry to lounge . I guess AA would treat AS elite members better assuming we grant them the same lounge access as AA

even the twitter team for AA said I should have access where as AS Twitter said the opposite
Sorry but the AA twitter team is wrong. AS only provides lounge access to F passengers on a paid F ticket or an actual F award ticket (but not on an upgrade) on flights greater than 2100 miles.

You met the 2100 miles rule (barely!), but not the fare rule (i.e. paid or full award) and thus you were not eligible for entry. Alaska Lounge entry requirements are reasonably clear and can be found here:
https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...cies-and-rules

Also, keep in mind that historically, even AA did not provide lounge access to EXPs (or F/Biz passengers) flying to Mexico. That was initially a change during covid that was messaged as "temporary" but which appears to have become permanent.

And actually, no AA doesn't treat AS elites better. They explicitly do not provide AS elites access to lounges on flights to Mexico (irrespective of cabin) as can be seen here:
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...lub-access.jsp (scroll down to "Non-AAdvantage oneworld® Emerald℠ and Sapphire℠ members" and see specific section for AS elites)

Regards
Old Jul 13, 2023, 1:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by wrp96
From AS website the qualifications:
  • First Class Lounge access:
    • For bookings made on/after November 18, 2022:
    • DISTANCE: Lounge access is granted to passengers traveling on a paid First Class or a First Class award ticket* on flights operated by Alaska Airlines where one flight has a distance of at least 2,100 miles on the day of the flight only, to all lounges in that day's itinerary, including connecting flights that are less than 2,100 miles. Lounge access is not included for family or other guests not traveling in First Class. Entrance into other airline clubrooms is not included with First Class fares or awards. To access the Alaska Lounge, passengers must show their eligible same-day First Class boarding pass to the Alaska Lounge Staff. Passengers traveling on a paid First Class or a First Class award ticket* where no single flights exceed 2,100 miles can purchase a discounted day pass** for $30.
  • *applies to fares booked in C, D, E, J, or I class.
So I guess the question would be what fare class was it booked into?
If it was a complimentary upgrade it probably booked into U. AS does not provide lounge access to upgraded passengers. See my longer response in post #3167

Regards
wrp96 likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 2:34 am

I'm going to book an award flight with 2 legs, and the 2nd leg is out of London Heathrow on BA. Do I need to pay to select seats on the 2nd leg BA?

If I cancel the award flight, are there any cancellation fees?
Old Jul 14, 2023, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by churns
I'm going to book an award flight with 2 legs, and the 2nd leg is out of London Heathrow on BA. Do I need to pay to select seats on the 2nd leg BA?

If I cancel the award flight, are there any cancellation fees?
All awards booked with AA miles can be cancelled for a full refund with no cancellation fee. Just make sure to cancel before the scheduled departure time.

On BA, unless you have certain status you do have to pay to select a seat (even in business class). Otherwise you can select your seat for no charge once online check-in opens.
churns likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
All awards booked with AA miles can be cancelled for a full refund with no cancellation fee. Just make sure to cancel before the scheduled departure time.

On BA, unless you have certain status you do have to pay to select a seat (even in business class). Otherwise you can select your seat for no charge once online check-in opens.
If I pay for seat selection for the BA leg, does it get charged as AA seat charge that will be covered by incidentals benefit of American Express platinum card?

When does online check in open? Does online check in open earlier for me since I have a AA first leg and do I get to check in for BA leg when I check in for AA first leg?
Old Jul 14, 2023, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
If I pay for seat selection for the BA leg, does it get charged as AA seat charge that will be covered by incidentals benefit of American Express platinum card?

When does online check in open? Does online check in open earlier for me since I have a AA first leg and do I get to check in for BA leg when I check in for AA first leg?
The seat selection charge for the BA leg will be paid to BA. AA's website will give you a link that takes you to BA's website to book your seats.
churns likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 4:59 pm

Can I access the flagship first lounge at jfk on a qantas business class ticket booked via AA? Flying the New Akl-jfk so there's not a lot of info yet about this.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetsetter777
Can I access the flagship first lounge at jfk on a qantas business class ticket booked via AA? Flying the New Akl-jfk so there's not a lot of info yet about this.
There is no longer a flagship (first) lounge at JFK since late last year.

If you're flying just AKL-JFK on QF then you wouldn't have any lounge access at JFK (unless you're connecting onwards) since you'd be arriving internationally.

If you're flying JFK-AKL then in business class or as a oneworld Sapphire in any class you would have access to the Greenwich Lounge at T8. If you're a oneworld Emerald in any class you would have access to the Soho Lounge.

The Chelsea Lounge is only for AA F or BA F, or AA CK or BA GGL on certain itineraries.
Old Jul 14, 2023, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
I have finally had our DONE5 tickets issued by the AA desk in Austin after some teething problems:

oNRT(JAL)-oHNL(AS)-oSEA(AS)-oCUN(AA)-oJFK(AA)-oGRU(AA)-oJFK(QR)-oDOH(QR)-oLHR(BA)-oATH(QR)-xDOH(QR)-oSYD(QF)-oAKL(CX)-oHKG(CX)-oBKK(JAL)-overland to SGN-NRT

Mileage is 52,477.

The total final price was $AUD11,214.70 each. The breakdown of the fees and taxes is difficult as AA have yet to send me (after repeated requests) any full breakdown and logging on to the AAdvantage website under fees/receipts for the trip gives me no clarification either. I was verbally advised during booking that the taxes/fees would amount to $AUD1855 of that. Should I have received an email containing a detailed breakdown?

As I’m chasing status with AA, I’m hoping (based on Pandaperth’s recent experience) that they calculate the CUN-JFK-GRU-JFK AA miles on miles covered, not spend but I guess I won’t know until we fly in 2024.

Thanks so much to all of you here (particularly Pandaperth who stepped up yet again) over the past month who answered my sometimes stupid questions – we wouldn’t be seeing anywhere near as much of our kids in US and UK if not for the info I have gained here!
Old Jul 15, 2023, 2:34 am

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
You can only upgrade one companion whether they are on the same reservation or not.

If he is in BE then I think all of the above still works with seating and upgrades, although not 100% certain.
thanks all...one more question..if i can only upgrade one companion what happens if more than one companion are on the same PNR*different from mine-or does this not matter?
thanks
Old Jul 15, 2023, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
thanks all...one more question..if i can only upgrade one companion what happens if more than one companion are on the same PNR*different from mine-or does this not matter?
thanks
If you have more than one companion on your PNR then upgrades are not requested for anyone, including yourself, as the system doesn't know which companion you'd like to upgrade.

Now if the companion you want to upgrade is on a different PNR, and there are more than 1 pax on that PNR, then AA would need to split that PNR as well, so the companion you want to upgrade is now on their own PNR.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 12:14 pm

Flight credit

Am I in the wrong here? We were supposed to fly DFW-PHL-YHX today. Paid 6k for 4 tickets in MC Extra. Only the DFW-PHL leg had a mechanical issue and was delayed by several hours, so we’d miss our connection. Next flight to Halifax wasn’t till 2 days from now. We decided to instead fly to BOS and drive to Canada, then drive back to BOS and fly back. So a RT domestic economy ticket DFW-BOS. we should get a lot of flight credit, right? Nope - AA calculated our new tickets as costing 900-something each and gave us 1900 back. This is ridiculous, since I looked on their site and I could get a same day RT ticket for those same dates/airports for $678. Was told to email customer service, and did, but I doubt it’ll do any good…
Old Jul 15, 2023, 9:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
When you checkin with AA, they'll probably issue you a boarding pass for the BA leg. When you arrive at LHR, you can stop at a BA desk and get a BP issued there. In my experience, even if you do have one from AA they'll replace it with one of theirs anyway.

The other thing you'll want to know about is the transfer between the flights at LHR. AA flights arrive at Terminal 3, and (most) BA flights depart from Terminal 5. So you'll want to follow the signs for transfers to T5 and board the bus which will take you there. There's a thread with enough details on the various alternatives to make your head spin, but until you've learned your way around there I'd advise sticking with that bus. GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5
churns likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 9:49 pm

Is there an AA phone number I can call to book an award flight for me? We're flying with children under 15 and don't have enough miles in 1 account to buy all the tickets, so we'll have to use miles from both our accounts to buy all the tickets. We have enough miles to book the reservations separately, but then we'll have 2 reservations and the system won't put us together automatically.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.