Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2020, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Say goodbye to domestic meals, with the exception of the Premium JFK-SFO/LAX route: https://viewfromthewing.com/american...er-2200-miles/

PAAthetic. NO reason to pay for F now, especially with the awful Oasis seats.
Pathetic, ridiculous, miserly . . . the list of pejoratives is long and well deserved.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 2:39 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I'll be writing a detailed letter today. I doubt it would do much to help, but I guess every action counts so to speak.

I had 3 DC-LA trips planned over the next four weeks, and 2 of them were going to be in paid refundable F. I'm going to go ahead and refund the tickets at this point, and just pay for Y and sit in MCE. Echoing what someone said above, there is no reason to purchase a F ticket at this point. Absolutely a cost cutting move. If they are so concerned about health/safety with crews using an oven onboard they can simply serve a proper chilled meal (like what BA has been doing with sandwich, salad, dessert, cheese). But they aren't concerned about health/safety...it's pathetic.

What makes it even worse is the lack of retail options at many US airports. When I flew DCA-LAX last week, the only outlet that was open was Dunkin Donuts. There was nowhere to get a proper meal.
IAHtraveler and ceebee100 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Covid schmovid. There is no reason AA shouldn't have catering to where it used to be. Total CheAApness is all it is. C19 is merely an excuse.
roadtriper and ceebee100 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:08 pm

I was at CLT and I think I saw the new livery

enviroian, CLT, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BarrenLucidity
I was at CLT and I think I saw the new livery

LOL now that's my kind of humor!
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Bring on the BFS and buzz ball cocktails lol
enviroian, CLT and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 3:26 pm

Programs: Asiana Club Diamond (*G), AA PPro (OWE), Korean Air Skypass MC (STE)
Their rhetoric is tiring

Their healthy & safety message is such bs. No f&b served on a normal flight for safety concerns, yet a ground stop for wx and the previously un-seen FAs are now handing out cookies and water. It’s cost-cutting pure and simple and I wish they’d just come out and say it and stop pretending we’re stupid.
CLT, cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
At this rate, AA might as well rebrand domestic first as the new MCE.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Austin787
At this rate, AA might as well rebrand domestic first as the new MCE.
I mean, domestic F has basically been equivalent to premium economy now for a long time.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cmd320
Well that will be the end of my favoring flying F on AA over other airlines.
Where you going? DL is only water/beer/wine, even at 6am no soda/juice. No meals at all on any domestic, only Y snack boxes for transcon/very long domestic. UA us giving "snack" whatever that means on flights that used to get meals.

Sadly AA right now is best in class for offerings.
Old Jul 18, 2020, 7:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Where you going? DL is only water/beer/wine, even at 6am no soda/juice. No meals at all on any domestic, only Y snack boxes for transcon/very long domestic. UA us giving "snack" whatever that means on flights that used to get meals.

Sadly AA right now is best in class for offerings.
I’d stick with B6 or AA for premium transcons. DL for shorter stuff. UA whenever they’re flying widebodies.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 11:07 am

Programs: SK Diamond
Does anyone know if LAX-MIA (77W) is still classed as 'premium transcon'? There doesn't seem to be any info on AA's website of course but it seems like the premium transcons are still getting meals so it would make sense that this flight would too since it was traditionally classed as such?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:05 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by cityboy340
Does anyone know if LAX-MIA (77W) is still classed as 'premium transcon'? There doesn't seem to be any info on AA's website of course but it seems like the premium transcons are still getting meals so it would make sense that this flight would too since it was traditionally classed as such?
Nope.

From my understanding, the only meal flights now are intercontinental, Hawaii-DFW, and JFK-LAX/SFO.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CLT
Nope.

From my understanding, the only meal flights now are intercontinental, Hawaii-DFW, and JFK-LAX/SFO.
and international J and F.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
So is the F&C plate now only 2,200+ (minus the premium transcons and DFW-Hawaii)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.