Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
had to use the old go to the bathroom trick to finally get a drink
They weren't answering the call button?
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by enviroian
They weren't answering the call button?
Didn't bother trying.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:50 am

First class MDT-ORD, American Eagle - repeated announcements that no Service would be provided on the flight
First class ORD-JAC - snack bags when boarding, FA serviced the cabin the entire flight, seemed to enjoy interacting with the passengers, complained flights aren’t stocked with enough wine.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 9:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
First class MDT-ORD, American Eagle - repeated announcements that no Service would be provided on the flight
First class ORD-JAC - snack bags when boarding, FA serviced the cabin the entire flight, seemed to enjoy interacting with the passengers, complained flights aren’t stocked with enough wine.
AE for the fail yet again :/
Old Jul 15, 2020, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
The genetic message they announce doesn't specify that first does. Did anyone ask?
Old Jul 15, 2020, 11:55 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by flyerCO
The genetic message they announce doesn't specify that first does. Did anyone ask?
Not sure what plane type this was but AE E175 FAs tend to disappear to the rear galley the minute they can once inflight.
CLT likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: AA - EXP, Hertz - PC, Marriott - Titanium
Mixed bag from my trips the past few days.

Saturday 7/11 - SAT-DFW - First Class 737-800 8:30 - 9:30 AM :- Full drink service very good FAs
Saturday 7/11 - DFW-MOB - First Class CRJ 900 (Mesa) 11:00 am - 12:30 PM - No Service, FAs grabbed phone and ran to back on climb out and returned to front on landing.
Tuesday 7/14 - MOB-DFW - First Class CRJ 900 (Mesa) 1:30- 3:00 PM - Limited service, only alcohol on board was red wine per FA, caned soda served, nice FA.
Tuesday 7/14 - DFW-SAT - First Class 737-800 5:00 - 6:00 PM - No service, FAs never got out of seat on were on phone entire time, smooth flight with SB sign off for most of the short flight.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 8:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Not sure what plane type this was but AE E175 FAs tend to disappear to the rear galley the minute they can once inflight.
That's my experience on E175s during COVID. And before, 2A in an E175 was my favorite domestic seat.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
no.

had it not been so early, I would have asked. I just wanted to go to sleep.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
On an ONT-DFW flight, no PDB and there was an announcement that this is a no-food no-drink flight aside from a small water bottle and pretzels, nothing else. Assuming that also applies to F, /but I’m not sure yet.

Interesting tidbit from the boarding announcement, they made a very long point to explain that if your rollerboard doesn’t fit in the sizer you will be required to book it, regardless if you’ve flown with it before or if you bought it because the package said it fits in overhead bins. They then said that if it has to be checked, they only take credit cards so hopefully you have one.

EDIT: fruit and cheese plate was given and was provided a jack and coke zero when asked. Was told if i wanted a drink to ask directly and if they had it they’d give it to me.

Last edited by seigex; Jul 16, 2020 at 9:58 am
Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by seigex
On an ONT-DFW flight, no PDB and there was an announcement that this is a no-food no-drink flight aside from a small water bottle and pretzels, nothing else. Assuming that also applies to F, /but I’m not sure yet.

Interesting tidbit from the boarding announcement, they made a very long point to explain that if your rollerboard doesn’t fit in the sizer you will be required to book it, regardless if you’ve flown with it before or if you bought it because the package said it fits in overhead bins. They then said that if it has to be checked, they only take credit cards so hopefully you have one.

EDIT: fruit and cheese plate was given and was provided a jack and coke zero when asked. Was told if i wanted a drink to ask directly and if they had it they’d give it to me.
The announcement is, for some reason or another, worded in a very confusing way to lead pax (and even FAs) to believe that no beverages are available in F or Y. As stated in official AA releases online, drinks are on request in F and Y. Alcohol is available in F. All you have to do is ask.

AA is really going the extra mile to confuse, or dare I say mislead, passengers.
wrp96, cmd320 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by brewdog11
drinks are on reques.
This. AA knows most people will be to timid or afraid to ask or hit that call button. Obviously not the case for most of us on here but AA knows most won't do it so the flight attendants can continue reading Cosmo.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:14 am
Suspended

The announcement is, for some reason or another, worded in a very confusing way to lead pax (and even FAs) to believe that no beverages are available in F or Y. As stated in official AA releases online, drinks are on request in F and Y. Alcohol is available in F. All you have to do is ask.

AA is really going the extra mile to confuse, or dare I say mislead, passengers.
Totally agree....I even see AA FAs that are confused and think it’s absolutely no service in any cabin whatsoever.....they really need to update that script and send better communication to their staff.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:40 am

Yeah they explicitly said, both pre-board and post-board, that it was a no drink served flight aside from the water bottle. And asking for the drink was a bit hush-hush it seemed. Maybe they don’t want the Y passengers to feel bad that F passengers are getting drinks *shrug*. What about MCE or EXP in economy, would they get the benefit of drinks or is it only F?
Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
This. AA knows most people will be to timid or afraid to ask or hit that call button. Obviously not the case for most of us on here but AA knows most won't do it so the flight attendants can continue reading Cosmo.
I’ve seen people make the mistake of hitting the call button on AA flights last year just to have an FA come on the PA to ask if it was an emergency (if so ring it again) otherwise call buttons are for emergency situations only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.