Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2020, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by msr0013
Haven't seen this mentioned anywhere, but I would assume that once they start offering the fruit and cheese plates in F on 900+ mile flights next week, that would also imply a return of more proactive beverage service?
I would think so.....all meal flights I’ve been on recently have had very proactive beverages offered and many refills.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:08 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by jAAmes
Just got back from STT-MIA and MIA-AUS.

5. No PDB (I did not expected a PDB)
6. No inflight beverage service of any kind (one brave soul got up to ask for something and was given water no ice).

If I hadn't scheduled this trip 10 months ago, I would not have gone. I am confident I won't fly again until we're in the mask-free era. That may be years.
What you describe reminds me of Aeroflot in 1983. As far as I am concerned No 5 was as often not done as done - so no changes there. I am however shocked at No 6. Is everyone terrified of these people? You have to pluck up your courage to ask for a drink?? I would not leave my seat, but I would ring the bell. A great deal if I had to. I would ask politely, and if it were refused for any reason, I would have her/his name and the reason why. If the bars have not been loaded, that is one thing - but for them to sit and do nothing is nothing short of disgraceful. They are Flight Attendants and Attendant means that you attend to your customers - whether you wish to or not. Are all US airlines the same?
Spiff, ExpatExp, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 11, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
What you describe reminds me of Aeroflot in 1983. As far as I am concerned No 5 was as often not done as done - so no changes there. I am however shocked at No 6. Is everyone terrified of these people? You have to pluck up your courage to ask for a drink?? … If the bars have not been loaded, that is one thing - but for them to sit and do nothing is nothing short of disgraceful. They are Flight Attendants and Attendant means that you attend to your customers - whether you wish to or not.
I agree with this entirely. Now, if you will permit me to extract part of what you said:

I would not leave my seat, but I would ring the bell. A great deal if I had to. I would ask politely, and if it were refused for any reason, I would have her/his name and the reason why.
I would also like to do this. However, I would actually be concerned that this would lead a flight attendant on a US-based airline to report me to the captain as a security risk. Am I crazy? That is actually how I feel… Not that it would be a legitimate step for a Flight Attendant to take, nor that would it be right for the captain to take the report seriously, but I nonetheless feel it would be a possibility.

Are all US airlines the same?.
I believe many are like this, yes? It's sad. But I have found AS (and formerly VX) and 9K to be better than others…
Old Jul 12, 2020, 1:46 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
I would also like to do this. However, I would actually be concerned that this would lead a flight attendant on a US-based airline to report me to the captain as a security risk. Am I crazy? That is actually how I feel… Not that it would be a legitimate step for a Flight Attendant to take, nor that would it be right for the captain to take the report seriously, but I nonetheless feel it would be a possibility.
I understand you. Whether I am particularly reckless, but I would not let that worry me. This is why I would not leave my seat. I really can’t see any Flight Attendant, no matter how paranoid or disagreeable telling the Flight Deck that a later middle aged woman is being a security risk for requesting a Gin and Tonic. Were she (why am I assuming a female) to do so, the matter would have consequences. I rather think that any experienced Police Officer (and I have been married to one for longer than I care to mention even as a child bride would quickly realise that I am as much a flight risk as I am the reincarnation of Shirley Temple. The vast majority of FAs worldwide would probably just serve it if for no other reason than to shut me up.

No, you are not crazy, but I do not scare easily.
ExpatExp and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 6:27 am

I am however shocked at No 6. Is everyone terrified of these people?
It's a really good question. Not really terrified, but with the new mask rules, there is a feeling of nervousness to do anything out of line (thank goodness everyone wore a mask). But the FAs were not putting themselves out as approachable in the least. They kept busy shuffling stuff around in the kitchen (I couldn't figure out what), and then immediately sit down and look at their phones. They did come by to collect garbage, but that's it.

They also made it clear on the PA that there would be no beverage service whatsoever given the short (2 hour 45 minute durations). No mention of any difference in economy vs. first.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 9:47 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
7/7 AA 2528 ATL-MIA 737-800: Full drink service in First, request only in Y, no food in F
7/7 AA 2109 MIA-RDU 737-800: Full drink service in First, request only in Y, no food in F

Guess I should be happy with this situation these days.
jcatman and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium

They also made it clear on the PA that there would be no beverage service whatsoever given the short (2 hour 45 minute durations). No mention of any difference in economy vs. first.
I feel like this was intentionally left out. It should say "in the main cabin," but it seems it was left out for cost-cutting purposes perhaps?
Old Jul 13, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA, BA, NH, TP
Four flights taken over the last week in Business all under 900 miles- happy to report on all flights full drink service was pro actively offered by the FAs no request required - also multiple refills offered.
sobore, jcatman, cmd320 and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA Exp, Admirals Club

I have to say probably the worst F experience of my life.
1. No greeting
2. No "thank you for flying"
3. No recognition of status
4. No personal recognition of any sort
6. No inflight beverage service of any kind (one brave soul got up to ask for something and was given water no ice).
7. Full fare F gets the same bag of water and a cookie that highest discounted coach seat gets

If I hadn't scheduled this trip 10 months ago, I would not have gone. I am confident I won't fly again until we're in the mask-free era. That may be years.
I audibly chuckled. Sorry, shouldn’t have. STT preCovid didn’t usually do PDB. Sometimes water. They did drink service June 8th because I was in the bulkhead row wishing I’d taken the 500 mile upgrade.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by onanisland
I audibly chuckled. Sorry, shouldn’t have. STT preCovid didn’t usually do PDB. Sometimes water. They did drink service June 8th because I was in the bulkhead row wishing I’d taken the 500 mile upgrade.
Used to fly monthly to STT and that was not my experience. At least back when it was a 757.
onanisland likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 7:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First

I have to say probably the worst F experience of my life.
1. No greeting
2. No "thank you for flying"
3. No recognition of status
4. No personal recognition of any sort
7. Full fare F gets the same bag of water and a cookie that highest discounted coach seat gets

1-4 never happened in normal times IME....5 was 50/50 on non premium routes (I also try to avoid CLT/PHL at all costs so that doesn’t help). 6 is def a weird COVID-19 thing but I’ve not had an issue getting a drink in FC....7 well that’s just the way it is as the song goes.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 8:29 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
For some reason my upgrade didn't clear today on 2532 LAX-DCA, although I did notice that they were selling upgrades to F for only $150 starting ~3 days before departure. I didn't see an upgrade offer on my app, but my travel companion did on her app (she doesn't have status) so maybe only those with status are getting the offer? This is the first time I have seen such a thing, which makes me wonder about availability of comp upgrades in the future. $150 is a pretty good value considering you get a meal, bigger seat+leg room, alcohol, plus 2 free checked bags. Main Cabin Extra on this flight looked to be priced at $75 for a decent seat, and the cost to check two bags domestically is $70.

Anyways, no snack bags. Flight attendants did your standard beverage service. I noticed that the FA that served me just gave everyone biscoff and pretzels and the whole can of soda, while another one simply barked "cookie or pretzel" and just gave everyone a cup (FWIW, during boarding he was standing at the first row of MCE and I said to him "Hey there, how's it going?" and he just gave me a blank stare ).

There was no further service during the flight, but they did respond to call bells. IIRC, there used to be a coffee/tea/water service after the initial beverage service and then a pre-arrival beverage service which both seem to be gone...clearly a cost cutting move because serving a drink an hour before arrival certainly doesn't have a bigger health risk...
Old Jul 14, 2020, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Does anyone know if the new fruit/cheese plate will be offered on 900+ mile American Eagle flights?
Old Jul 14, 2020, 10:30 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Does anyone know if the new fruit/cheese plate will be offered on 900+ mile American Eagle flights?
AE is the absolute worst....for some reason they were told they could occupy 1D/F and help themselves to drinks and lunch while we watch from FC in 1A 🙄
enviroian and grapkoski like this.
Old Jul 15, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
MCO-DFW- Oasis B737 - Snack bag consisting of small bottle of water, biscoff, pretzels and hand sanitizer packet upon boarding. No PDB. Drinks upon request only (I had to use the old go to the bathroom trick to finally get a drink when it became clear there would be no proactive beverage service) NO fruit and cheese plate either. This service was supposed to have started today, but the flight overnighted in MCO and was likely double-catered, so could be why there was no fruit and cheese plate. Sigh.
AANYC1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.