Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2020, 3:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Why would she sit in the blocked seat next to you and not the jumpseat which is even further away from pax? Am I missing something? Wouldn’t the jumpseat be more socially distant?
I'm in 2C and 1D is blocked for the FAs. She was chatting with deadheading crew in 1C and I made my way into the conversation when they mentioned the drink policy.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
It’s hard to request something when the FC FA scurries to the back the first chance they get on these regional carriers.

Yes, I know the call button is there for that but I hate pressing it and the scowl that’s follows.

At least on mainline, most of the time, the FC FA will stay in the jumpseat in FC on these shorter flights giving you a chance to engage them for something to drink. This happened to me recently on a ~350 mile flight and the FA was more than happy to fulfill my request but I was the only one who got anything because I knew to ask.
This. I feel like Oliver Twist ringing the call button when the regional FA's refuse to do a service. I've gotten such varied answers and reactions to my request for a drink, too. Except for one MIA-PHL flight, all my mainline crews have been excellent.
AANYC1981, Drwaz99 and TBRIC like this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 6:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
Agreed now that I've thought about it and watched her ask othera if they want refills. I shot AA twitter a dm about it. Not that I expect anything from it, but the inconsistent service really kills any goodwill they built up from my previous good flights.

AA has been consistently inconsistent from average to poor to outright snarky in my domestic experiences, pre COVID-19. What has changed?

James
asnovici and ExpatExp like this.
Old Jun 29, 2020, 7:19 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, WN, HHonors Diamond, Marriott
This past week flew a round trip
DFW-ORD 737 First Class: Boarded aircraft handed bag with water, pretzels, biscoff cookie, and small hand wipe inside.
FA didn't proactively offer drinks but once one asked for drink several more asked and received drinks.

ORD-DFW 737 Economy: Again bag handed upon boarding with normal sized water bottle, pretzels, biscoff cookied, and small hand wipe inside.

Last edited by kr777; Jun 29, 2020 at 7:22 pm Reason: Adding to post, clicked to early
Old Jun 30, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
6 of 10 segments in progress now:

AA3421 IAH-DFW Envoy E75; Refused even a cup of water by a whip cracking FA. My good run on Envoy comes to an end. 😕
Yea, it seems that most E75 flights were getting decent service in F, even if upon request. I know each crew is different, but wondering if they are becoming more emboldened to go against policy despite AA no longer capping flights (this should also mean a return to standard service if pax can be "exposed" then so can crew)
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:49 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Meal Priority Protocol for Domestic Transcons?

No preorder for domestic meals currently and trust me I’ve been on a lot of domestic meal flights recently and was looking.
If you can't pre-order, how are FAs prioritizing meal choice? Status, front-to-back, or......?
Old Jun 30, 2020, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Explore
If you can't pre-order, how are FAs prioritizing meal choice? Status, front-to-back, or......?
Front to back at least on all my flights no matter what direction, time zone etc.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 7:29 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
AA4763 (Piedmont ERJ CHS-PHL) today:

Another very friendly FA. He made an announcement upon leveling off that although there was to be no formal service, we should "feel free" to ring the call bell and if he had it in the bar cart he would be happy to provide it. I didn't see anyone take him up on his offer, however.

AA1453 PHL-DCA:

Can't remember if this flight ever had the OJ cup/water bottle service in Y, but flight never topped above 10k feet and FAs stayed in their jumpseats until they did their pre-landing checks.
apeortdz likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by CLT
AA4763 (Piedmont ERJ CHS-PHL) today:

Another very friendly FA. He made an announcement upon leveling off that although there was to be no formal service, we should "feel free" to ring the call bell and if he had it in the bar cart he would be happy to provide it. I didn't see anyone take him up on his offer, however.

AA1453 PHL-DCA:

Can't remember if this flight ever had the OJ cup/water bottle service in Y, but flight never topped above 10k feet and FAs stayed in their jumpseats until they did their pre-landing checks.
Man, wouldn't it be great if that became the announced policy on every flight going forward? No routine service when you might not want/need it, just ring the call bell if you need anything -- perfect! Maybe some good can come out of COVID-19!
Old Jul 1, 2020, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by metallo
Man, wouldn't it be great if that became the announced policy on every flight going forward? No routine service when you might not want/need it, just ring the call bell if you need anything -- perfect! Maybe some good can come out of COVID-19!
Personally I prefer proactive service. I very much appreciate that an SQ FA is trained to appear just at the right time.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Jul 1, 2020, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cmd320
Personally I prefer proactive service. I very much appreciate that an SQ FA is trained to appear just at the right time.
For meal service and all long-haul flights, I agree... has to be some kind of standard proactive service.

I probably should've stated more clearly that I meant for the non-standard parts of the service (outside of meal service or on short flights with no meal service), it'd be great if some of them didn't get so offended with the call bell lol.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 11:05 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
6/30 AA 5340 ATL-CLT CRJ-900: First Class FA made an announcement to us apologizing for no PDB but that we'd get drinks in the air. She gave me three minis for a 40 minute flight. Amazing service
6/30 AA 1794 CLT-RDU A-320: No service either cabin
CLT and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Just boarded 2609 to Vegas. The bag contents are downgraded from last time. Only a small bottle of water and a biscoff (no pretzels as well).

pilot comes on the horn “ thank you for flying American Airlines today. We really need the money!”
CLT and standbyalldtime like this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 5:32 pm

AA 896 PHX-DFW 738; Regular no-service announcement but FA went through as we were taxiing out and asked if we'd like anything once we leveled off. Refills were gladly accepted.
AA 2635 DFW-DEN A319; FA went through once we leveled off and also asked if we like anything and made multiple, and I mean multiple trips through the cabin checking in on us and gladly getting refills. One of the best FAs I've had in quite some time.
Spiff, jdawg, UAPremierGuy and 5 others like this.
Old Jul 2, 2020, 6:07 pm

And just to add to my post above: I did fire off a Twitter DM about my experience on Monday and got an psuedo-canned response as expected; however, I also fired off a very complimentary Twitter DM about my experience on 2635 today. I don't have great status (just hit gold today! Woo-hoo, not) so no way to offically recognize her but didn't want a good job to go without some sort of praise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.