Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:17 pm

Programs: SK Diamond
Originally Posted by CLT
Nope.

From my understanding, the only meal flights now are intercontinental, Hawaii-DFW, and JFK-LAX/SFO.
Wow well AA seems to have no problem charging 3x the fare for that flight compared to other flights/same route/same day. Good to know, thanks!
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by cityboy340
Does anyone know if LAX-MIA (77W) is still classed as 'premium transcon'? There doesn't seem to be any info on AA's website of course but it seems like the premium transcons are still getting meals so it would make sense that this flight would too since it was traditionally classed as such?
They are coded as "Refreshments," unlike JFK based transcons which has the traditional meal verbiage so I would assume not. That's honestly kind of shocking, especially on the 77W flight that has F and J sold separately (and even J it seems is priced at a premium as well, based on a few sample searches).

In practice, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 77W flight treated differently and more in line with the other transcon inflight service, since AA has always struggled to define premium cabin service standards on LAX-MIA and this may be a coding error, but I suspect it will be difficult to determine for sure unless somebody has direct experience with being on that plane on that route and can report back.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
So is the F&C plate now only 2,200+ (minus the premium transcons and DFW-Hawaii)?
All non-premium flights 900+ miles, which now includes the 2200+ flights.
wrp96 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 1:31 pm

Our flights tend to fall in the 1800-2000 mile range. At this point I would just be happy with a F beverage service without guilting or shaming the passenger. The best, most recently, was the FA giving us ice, cup and enough for two drinks each. The worst was the FA coming by, and as I caught his eye, him saying, “ you don't want anything, do you?”
Old Jul 19, 2020, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
They are coded as "Refreshments," unlike JFK based transcons which has the traditional meal verbiage so I would assume not. That's honestly kind of shocking, especially on the 77W flight that has F and J sold separately (and even J it seems is priced at a premium as well, based on a few sample searches).

In practice, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 77W flight treated differently and more in line with the other transcon inflight service, since AA has always struggled to define premium cabin service standards on LAX-MIA and this may be a coding error, but I suspect it will be difficult to determine for sure unless somebody has direct experience with being on that plane on that route and can report back.
As they actually sell F on this route it'll most likely get a meal. However any of the other nonstops on it wont.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
BZN-DFW this morning was delayed due to a fuel leak on one of the wings. That was fixed but off the ground around 10:30ish. Snack bag only, no F PDB, no in flight drinks, no cheese plates, FA never came through the aisle, playing on their phone in the jump seat. I slept so didn’t bother asking for a drink.

DFW-ONT (AA1424), which was a rebook due to the delay, is the best flight this week. We got our snack bag, got off the ground on time. Within a few minutes of reaching 10,000’, the FA walked through and handed out the cheese plates, then another game right behind him and took drink orders in F and generally seemed interested in providing service. I have to say that for a few minutes it actually felt like F before COVID, and tbh I prefer the cheese plate over the normal domestic F meal fare anyway (especially since they got rid of the snickerdoodle).
enviroian and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 2:37 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
All non-premium flights 900+ miles, which now includes the 2200+ flights.
Does this apply to Eagle routes also? Happen to have a couple 900+ Eagle routes coming up and have no idea what, if anything, to expect. Certainly I can insist on cocktails, right...?
Old Jul 19, 2020, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Hot Pocket
Certainly I can insist on cocktails, right...?

dpb132, CLT, cmd320 and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 2:51 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by enviroian
Pity the poor pax that gets an FA who claims that the call bell is for "emergency use only", as happened on a DCA-CLT flight a couple weeks back.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 4:39 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA EXP, Hyatt Top Tier (definitely NOT a Globalist), National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by CLT
Pity the poor pax that gets an FA who claims that the call bell is for "emergency use only", as happened on a DCA-CLT flight a couple weeks back.
I’ll push the call button all day, but like others I have occasionally been flatly denied by awful FAs. It would be nice to have something to point to that explicitly says, on Eagle alcohol will be available on request in F

Anyone ever win an argument along these lines? IME the DCA based crews have been the worst.
CLT likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CLT
If only this were to happen on an aircraft where the call bell has an image of an FA carrying a beverage...
CLT likes this.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 6:55 pm
RJ1

Upcoming flight this week LAX-DFW on a 789. Haven't read any specific reports from this route, but I am hoping I'll be able to at least get a drink in F.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by RJ1
Upcoming flight this week LAX-DFW on a 789. Haven't read any specific reports from this route, but I am hoping I'll be able to at least get a drink in F.
Should be drinks on request and cheese plate I believe.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 7:54 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by cmd320
Should be drinks on request and cheese plate I believe.
Thanks. I did see that this is the stated service guideline, but after reading some of the reports here, it doesn't seem like a certainty - particularly on the drinks. I'll try to report back on my experience.
Old Jul 19, 2020, 10:58 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by cmd320
If only this were to happen on an aircraft where the call bell has an image of an FA carrying a beverage...
Not trying to get off topic from AA related F&B, but Sara Nelson (president of AFA and an UA FA) literally said the button is for a emergency use only in an interview.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.