Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2020, 6:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by CLT
It only became the 3.5 window up until the HP merger. Up until 2004/2005 or so, US did provide meals on PHL/PIT-Florida/Midwest, CLT-Northeast, etc. They also tried giving away free BOB to F on these routes as well which didn't work out.

I concur about the amount of people buying booze in the back. I've said this before, but out of all the US3 carriers, I have noticed that AA FA's (particularly L-US IMO) seem to be the most willing to give out free drinks to the masses, especially in the event of delays where I have seen them hand out bottles of wine and liquor minis like candy.
I remember free BOB in domestic F during the dark days of the second bankruptcy (right before the HP merger). I also remember hot meals in F on CLT-LGA pre-9/11. How times have changed.

I think the free liquor in coach during extended delays used to be an old US policy? I was younger at the time but remember seeing this on US not infrequently.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 6:56 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
I remember the snack bags for morning flights, that you grabbed as you got on the plane
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:37 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
I think the free liquor in coach during extended delays used to be an old US policy? I was younger at the time but remember seeing this on US not infrequently.
I don't know if it was ever an official policy but it was definitely common place (and still is). Doesn't even need to be an extended delay. I flew BWI-CLT last year and sat in the back and we had a 30 minute delay in boarding. I have never seen so many people drink on a domestic flight.

I think the point I am trying to make is the that I am willing to bet that there a decent amount revenue leakage from a LP/corporate security perspective from domestic liquor that I doubt AA is profiting from domestic liquor service. If FA's are helping themselves to the beverage carts during these times while refusing to provide a service, you better believe they are taking liquor minis in addition to canned soft drinks.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:46 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by CLT
I don't know if it was ever an official policy but it was definitely common place (and still is). Doesn't even need to be an extended delay. I flew BWI-CLT last year and sat in the back and we had a 30 minute delay in boarding. I have never seen so many people drink on a domestic flight.

I think the point I am trying to make is the that I am willing to bet that there a decent amount revenue leakage from a LP/corporate security perspective from domestic liquor that I doubt AA is profiting from domestic liquor service. If FA's are helping themselves to the beverage carts during these times while refusing to provide a service, you better believe they are taking liquor minis in addition to canned soft drinks.
I hope they’re not....that’s theft of company property.
CLT and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
Much less was offered on AA1061 (MIA-LAX, 777W on July 21st. No PDB, pillows or blankets ,and rushed service. No refills of drinks, however had snack basket out in J mid boarding area. Menu with 3 options for dinner, and meal was quite good. Hipster in front of me had to be asked multiple times to put his mask on.
We're flying back from MIA-LAX today on the 777-300ER (all of us are sitting in rows 1 & 2), so I'm hoping there will be a meal option on that 5 hr flight. I'll try to remember and snap some pictures later today.

We're also taking the STX-MIA flight (737-800) before that, so I'll see what they provide us in First (if anything) on that flight. When flying into STT last week on the same 737-800 from MIA-STT in First, they gave us the goodie bag when entering the plane that had a small bottle of water, a biscuit, and a hand wipe. They also came around later passing out the cheese & cracker pack like others posted above.... the chocolate covered berries were pretty good.

On our LAX-MIA flight, we were on a A321 in First and they didn't pass anything out prior to the flight or during the flight. However it was a red-eye flight so most people were sleeping, but I did notice my son next to me did get some snack packs and a small bottled water when they came by his seat (I was sleeping at the time but saw it later).
Old Aug 7, 2020, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by shadesofgrey1x
Anyone do MIA-LAX LAX-MIA recently. When I first booked about a month ago they coded the morning flights breakfast. Then reduced it to refreshments. Now its back to breakfast again but no preorder at the 30 day mark. PS trip is in late Aug. 321 one way 77W the other if that makes any diff. Only two classes being sold each flight.
Yes. Flew LAX-MIA on a A321 red-eye flight on 7/29, and flying back today on a 777-300ER, both in First class.

I posted above with my experience on the A321 flight, and will post after today with my 777-300ER flight.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Wow a 77W still on the LAX/MIA flight. I thought that a/c was long gone on that route If it's a day/evening flight there will be a single tray meal service in F/J along with a snack basket put out afterwards (FA dependent of course). If you have a good crew the FAs might even proactively go around and offer snacks. Don't expect a PDB unless you have a good crew. If it's a redeye flight no meal service and a beverage service may or may not be proactively offered. No Bose headsets but they will have the little cheap headsets available on demand for both cabins.

For Y a beverage service only along with the snack bag. No BOB.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by britNY
Flew down from LGA to AUA via MIA. Seems others observations were spot on with service being all over the place. On the first leg the FA offered drinks several times and the now ubiquitous cheese box. Not bad considering. On the second leg the FA handed out the boxes as we were being pushed back (we had to tuck them under our arms) and offered no drinks at all after take off (I could see from 1B where I was seated that she had set up her iPad in the galley and didn’t want to be disturbed). I soon changed that and ordered some red wine (non-descript variety).

Going back via CLT which is a longer first leg. Hope the service is better on a 4 hour plus flight!
second leg is shorter at 1.5 hours to JFK. Wonder what we can expect on that!
I thought it was a rule that airlines cannot give out something that is not secured before take off to pax (hence the reason that DL FAs often ask pax to hold, store or consume the Dasani bottles...and FAs collect PDBs before takeoff even if still full). Wouldn't fruit and cheese be the same? But, nice trick on the FA's part to not have to make an appearance inflight to take drink orders.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM
77w lax-mia

Most FA’s seem pretty disengaged, but “Flagship” menus and Bose headsets are distributed (although same menus in J and F)
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Wow a 77W still on the LAX/MIA flight. I thought that a/c was long gone on that route If it's a day/evening flight there will be a single tray meal service in F/J along with a snack basket put out afterwards (FA dependent of course). If you have a good crew the FAs might even proactively go around and offer snacks. Don't expect a PDB unless you have a good crew. If it's a redeye flight no meal service and a beverage service may or may not be proactively offered. No Bose headsets but they will have the little cheap headsets available on demand for both cabins.

For Y a beverage service only along with the snack bag. No BOB.
It's an evening (dinner) flights going to LAX and a morning (breakfast) flight coming back. At least that's what it had been so far this summer.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FlyEndeavorAir
7/29 HVN-PHL on Republic DBA American Eagle, No PDB, large water bottle handed to us, doubles in the air. Fantastic service by the FA serving us considering this was also on a 45 minute hop.
So glad to read this as it was my understanding that the Republic FAs are the most likely to run to the back of the 175 after takeoff and stay put until landing. No inflight service despite being against published protocols. Ive had great experience with Envoy FAs on the 175...inflight drinks with a smile, but worried about an upcoming Republic trip. Let's hope this is the norm!
Old Aug 8, 2020, 11:37 am

Flew back yesterday on a 737-800 from STX to MIA in First. They handed out white bags with a small water bottle, a biscuit cookie, and a hand wipe - same as our MIA-STT flight the week before. Then they passed out the same cheese & cracker pack that we also got on our MIA-STT flight, with the same bland taste as before. However, this time instead of the chocolate covered berries, there was a small piece of dark chocolate in our snack packs.

Then we flew back on the 777-300ER from MIA-LAX in First, and they served a full dinner menu in First & Business. Was kind of upset that they ran out of of the sea bass and short ribs by the time they took my order (I was sitting in 1J, so no telling which way the FA's went to take everyone's order. My wife was in 2D and got the sea bass so they must've went on the left side of the plane first), so I ordered the chicken parm. My younger son got the short ribs, and my other son also got the chicken parm.

My chicken parm tasted like it was heated up super hot in the microwave, so nothing special. Pretty bland tasting. Had a bite of my wife's sea bass and that was actually pretty tasty and cooked well. The short ribs were dry and a bit tough but still had some decent flavor. Probably the best part of the meal was the cheesecake brownie desert.

Sorry for some of the weird angle pics of the short ribs, and my wife took the picture of her sea bass after she had already devoured half of it.

Old Aug 8, 2020, 12:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by SDM44
Then we flew back on the 777-300ER from MIA-LAX in First, and they served a full dinner menu in First & Business. Was kind of upset that they ran out of of the sea bass and short ribs by the time they took my order (I was sitting in 1J, so no telling which way the FA's went to take everyone's order. My wife was in 2D and got the sea bass so they must've went on the left side of the plane first), so I ordered the chicken parm. My younger son got the short ribs, and my other son also got the chicken parm.

My chicken parm tasted like it was heated up super hot in the microwave, so nothing special. Pretty bland tasting. Had a bite of my wife's sea bass and that was actually pretty tasty and cooked well. The short ribs were dry and a bit tough but still had some decent flavor. Probably the best part of the meal was the cheesecake brownie desert.

Sorry for some of the weird angle pics of the short ribs, and my wife took the picture of her sea bass after she had already devoured half of it.
Thanks for the detailed pictures! How was the service on the MIA-LAX flight in First?
Old Aug 8, 2020, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Good lord, the plating of the short rib and sea bass dishes looks as though they rolled the airplane on its back before they were served!

Thank you for the comprehensive information. Definitely worth looking at AA going to California if Mint isn't an option.
Old Aug 8, 2020, 2:18 pm

Originally Posted by brewdog11
Thanks for the detailed pictures! How was the service on the MIA-LAX flight in First?
On our flight, the service was good. The FA in First constantly walked around asking us if we needed anything or more drinks.

Might have been that I was traveling with my family and 2 small kids in their own seats (we occupied 4 out of the 8 seats), but they only got one or two drinks and just watched movies and slept on the flight. If anything, I had more service with drink refills throughout the flight.

Pretty much felt like a 'regular' long haul flight pre-covid, except now you just have to wear a mask.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.