Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by enviroian
I'm going to find the AA verbiage that states drinks upon request in F and take a screen shot so I'll be armed and ready. I'm going to replace that stock photo upthread of someone's hand reaching for the call button with a pic of my hand reaching.
Had to provide this reference to (perhaps willfully) ignorant crews multiple times throughout the pandemic. Usually once documentation of service standards are provided, it results in getting the drink of choice. Highly recommend bringing it because it may be the difference between you getting a drink or not.

Originally Posted by metallo
As for cocktail service, just cross your fingers that you don't get one of the "Big Front Seat" crews!
This made me LOL. So funny and so true!
metallo likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:28 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by CLT
Agreed. Is there any picture of the cheese plate? Is it something substantial or essentially just the BOB cheese plate from Y?

CLT flyers truly lost the most out of this as CLT-SAN/LAX are just under 2200 miles and were excluded from the other meal cuts.
its the same BOB fruit and cheese plate in the long rectangular box shape. Grapes, strawberries and a good amount of cheese slices and crackers.

I personally don’t eat a lot in general and would actually be fine picking at that for a few hours as long as the wine and cocktails kept flowing lol.
jcatman and CLT like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by CLT
Agreed. Is there any picture of the cheese plate?
This is it. It's delicious and I would always order it via BOB in Y or offered gratis is F (back in the old days). My only "complaint" was it was normally too cold and the cheese was hard and not soft enough to fully enjoy but that's 3rd world problems so I don't want to get yelled at.
AANYC1981 and thunderdeacon like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:31 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I bit the bullet and flew this last week. On the DFW-RNO flight (3 hours, 1300 some miles), I easily upgraded to domestic F with a flying partner. FA crew never came by. I called them a few times to get some water brought though, which was done, but otherwise the FAs hid in the front the entire flight.

Out the return flight yesterday, I same day changed to a later flight after they (I am guessing) upgraded all of the elites who requested because I and my partner were the only ones on the upgrade list. Only 1 F seat left, which I upgraded into (flying partner, aka my kid, sat in the back with my wife who for whatever reason didn't want my F seat). Once up in the air, everyone in F was promptly offered beverage service -- I got two Woodford reserves and a plastic cup -- and they gave out cheese/grapes package, and came by a few times to make sure everyone in F was happy. On my regional connecting flight, the FA came straight to me (only ExecPlat on the flight, I am guessing) just to ask me if I wanted anything (though, she apologized that they don't get catered alcohol) and to thank me for flying.

I know it is COVID times and everything, but without any onboard service in F, it really, truly, 100% feels like MCE (actually, not even, since preCovid we could get drinks in MCE), and I'd feel very disappointed if I paid an upgrade into F. The return flight was so much more pleasant, just for the simple fact that the FAs were proactive, served drinks (even if in plastic) and at least offered -something- to eat. (and I thought the cheese and fruit were nice -- cheese was room temp and soft, fruit was all grapes on my tray but all were ripe and good to eat, and the little chocolate square tasted very nice with the Woodford).
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MarkOK
feel very disappointed if I paid an upgrade into F
I honestly do not know who or why someone would pay for an upgrade or buy one outright these days.
ceebee100 and MarkOK like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:43 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Way too much dairy in that plate for me sadly. It's too bad they couldn't offer a choice of that or a hummus plate. But that is a sad, definite downgrade from the hot meals served on flights +2200 mi before. Pathetic.
I honestly do not know who or why someone would pay for an upgrade or buy one outright these days.
Because AA is selling upgrades for around $40 more than MCE T-24 before departure. Cost to upgrade on my PHL-LAX/LAX-DCA flights was something around $140-150. Granted they were still doing a meal back then, but that's a pretty good deal IMO considering you got a meal, alcohol, checked bags, priority boarding.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CLT
Way too much dairy in that plate for me sadly. It's too bad they couldn't offer a choice of that or a hummus plate. But that is a sad, definite downgrade from the hot meals served on flights +2200 mi before. Pathetic.

Because AA is selling upgrades for around $40 more than MCE T-24 before departure. Cost to upgrade on my PHL-LAX/LAX-DCA flights was something around $140-150. Granted they were still doing a meal back then, but that's a pretty good deal IMO considering you got a meal, alcohol, checked bags, priority boarding.
Well then that is a good deal for a (non oasis) F seat. Considering true MCE doesn't exist anymore (no alcohol in coach period) the buy up makes more sense.

Hey Doug:
"thank you sir may I have another!"
Old Jul 21, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: AA EXP | UA PLT
I've been in J on 8 flights this month, 3 AE and 5 mainline. As you would expect, there's no consistency in FA service. It has run from OJ/water PDB (on an afternoon flight)/walking through the cabin regularly, to FAs on phones or hiding in the galley/on their phones the entire flight. I even had one intrepid FA bravely give the credit card pitch.

IMO there was little consistency in service levels before COVID, and it all boils down to the same thing -- there is no method to hold FAs to service standards, no in-flight accountability, and a lack of training on service. COVID or no COVID, YMMV with each crew and their personal standards.
SkyTeam777, CLT, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:34 pm
CLT

JonNYC is reporting that the company basically believes their that their product offering is still better than DL/UA and they are "NOT removing all meals" from the F cabin and the are reportedly looking to offer a "better breakfast offering", whatever that is.

Confused as to why they would say they are not removing all meals from F, when in fact, they did. If AA is pointing to only catering JFK-LAX/SFO as evidence for "not removing all meals" then they need a serious reality check.
ceebee100 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by CLT
JonNYC is reporting that the company basically believes their that their product offering is still better than DL/UA and they are "NOT removing all meals" from the F cabin and the are reportedly looking to offer a "better breakfast offering", whatever that is.

Confused as to why they would say they are not removing all meals from F, when in fact, they did. If AA is pointing to only catering JFK-LAX/SFO as evidence for "not removing all meals" then they need a serious reality check.
Maybe Doug is clueless again, just like when they dropped meals the first time.

Honestly, an Egg McMuffin would be an upgrade to the current breakfast offerings.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I saw JonNYCs post too and didn’t understand what they meant by a better breakfast offering....it’s actually good as it is on the few domestic flights they are serving breakfast on like NYC-SF/LA.

Or do they mean breakfast for the 99% of their other domestic flights where there is either nothing or a biscoff and all airport dining options are closed?

Hope I’m answering my own question here lol
CLT likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 1:58 pm
CLT

The whole thing was confusing, although I found it amusing the answer AA provided was directly in response to an employees question as to what differentiates them from Spirit.

I'm not sure why they can't just provide an elevated Bistro Bag service for F if they are so concerned about health/safety. Maybe a fresh fruit cup, yogurt w/ granola, and pastry for breakfast, and then a chilled sandwich/salad with fruit and a cookie for lunch/dinner. Downgrade? Absolutely. But it is better than the current offering.
chrisny2 and onanisland like this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by CLT

I believe there is a "permanently" missing in that sentence somewhere.

I can see "better breakfast offering" being perhaps the former BoB breakfast platter, with the English muffin, hard boiled egg, almond butter, etc. Or it may be a banana, muffin/granola bar, or something more "breakfasty." Whatever it is, it will mostly likely be served chilled/room temp (wouldn't bank on a hot Egg McMuffin LOL), and unlikely to require any utensils (wouldn't bank on yogurt/granola either) to avoid the need to pick up used utensils.

AA has made it clear that they are cost cutting while still trying to stay competitive with UA/DL. Can anybody come up with an example where UA/DL's F&B offering is unequivocally better than what AA has available (whether proactively or upon request)? If I'm following the updates correctly, DL still doesn't have liquor in premium cabins within the US (beer and wine only with the latest update, right?) nor does DL serve any hot food including on transcons. UA's offering I believe is comparable to AA's, except I don't believe they offer meals on the flights to Hawaii though I may be mistaken.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2020, 5:23 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I agree. I would pre-order this any time it was available in Y.

This is it. It's delicious and I would always order it via BOB in Y or offered gratis is F (back in the old days). My only "complaint" was it was normally too cold and the cheese was hard and not soft enough to fully enjoy but that's 3rd world problems so I don't want to get yelled at.
Old Jul 22, 2020, 1:54 pm
Suspended

Does anyone known what I can screenshot to show the “official” policy? Flying HVN-MSP via PHL in F in a week and don’t expect anything on the first short leg but would like a drink on the second leg.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.