Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2020, 10:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
AA1643 ATL-CLT, 12:22pm today, A320

226 mile flight, full F cabin... and PDB!

ETA: 15 min into 40 min flight, full beverage service too! Pulling out an AAplause cert for this gem.

Last edited by platbrownguy; Nov 5, 2020 at 11:20 am
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:02 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by aw
Oct. 30 SFO-JFK in J.

Printed menu and 4 choices for main dish. First time flying during Covid19 and I'm impressed with AA.

Before arrival we received a wrapped chocolate chip cookie and the FA passed with the snack basket.

I had the same menu LAX - JFK. And in fact, according to the menu, transcon routes LAX/SFO - JFK/MIA have the same selections.

I was surprised to find FEL pinot noir onboard - they are retailed for $38/bottle, and quite delicious in the air. Plenty of drink refills by the crew, although they did not pass the basket - was left at front row, including the pre-wrapped cookies, and they did not refill the snacks either - maybe they were not catered with as many snacks?
AAEmpireState likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by PTahCha
I had the same menu LAX - JFK. And in fact, according to the menu, transcon routes LAX/SFO - JFK/MIA have the same selections.

I was surprised to find FEL pinot noir onboard - they are retailed for $38/bottle, and quite delicious in the air. Plenty of drink refills by the crew, although they did not pass the basket - was left at front row, including the pre-wrapped cookies, and they did not refill the snacks either - maybe they were not catered with as many snacks?
Thanks for the tip. Drinking the FEL now and it’s actually quite nice. Great cabin crew too. Meal was decent and it’s nice to see they’ve updated the menus to reflect ‘flagship first’ even if it’s still the same stuff from J.

Overall a decent flight with the exception of sniffles directly behind me in 2A who keeps sucking in his snot and coughing every 3-5 minutes. 😒
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:49 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I feel like this snack basket is major news -- beef jerky & parm crisps, outstanding. Thanks for the report!
Glad to share this positive development. You're welcome!
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320
Thanks for the tip. Drinking the FEL now and it’s actually quite nice. Great cabin crew too. Meal was decent and it’s nice to see they’ve updated the menus to reflect ‘flagship first’ even if it’s still the same stuff from J.

Overall a decent flight with the exception of sniffles directly behind me in 2A who keeps sucking in his snot and coughing every 3-5 minutes. 😒
The guy who was in 1A on my last DFW MIA flight gave me the look of the thousand deaths after I told the crew that he wasn't drinking or eating and yet keeping his mask down
enviroian, AAway, hurnik and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 3:52 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
@ PTahCha - It makes sense. Thanks for the tip about the wine. Will try it next time.

Last edited by aw; Nov 5, 2020 at 3:58 pm
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fly747first
The guy who was in 1A on my last DFW MIA flight gave me the look of the thousand deaths after I told the crew that he wasn't drinking or eating and yet keeping his mask down
Luckily Mr. Sniffles seems to be keeping his mask on other than for meal service. Ordinarily in F on a 77W I’d switch to a surgical mask after boarding, but with Mr. Sniffles right behind me it’s going to be N95 all the way.

Side note, the cabin crew on this flight have been great and attentive. Also full Casper pillows and duvets were loaded in F. Will post photos of meal/menu when I can.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 6:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2 Million Miler
The Tale of Two Flights

CLT-EWR (Wed @ 6:30 PM): no PDB, lights off in cabin for entire flight, no proactive drink service in the air. I pressed the call button and FA was happy to get me a drink. No snack basket.
EWR-CLT (Thu @ 5:18 PM): PDB served (I didn't receive one as I purposely boarded last but noticed everyone had a drink, which I was happy to see. Since I was in an aisle seat, I rather board last and not get a PDB), proactive drink service in the air. No snack basket.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Luckily Mr. Sniffles seems to be keeping his mask on other than for meal service. Ordinarily in F on a 77W I’d switch to a surgical mask after boarding, but with Mr. Sniffles right behind me it’s going to be N95 all the way.

Side note, the cabin crew on this flight have been great and attentive. Also full Casper pillows and duvets were loaded in F. Will post photos of meal/menu when I can.
Was it a younger reserve crew or a more senior one?
Old Nov 6, 2020, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More senior, but not super senior.
Old Nov 6, 2020, 1:11 pm

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Glad you said something. Did the crew enforce his mask wearing?
Old Nov 6, 2020, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
At this point aren't all the crew "more senior"?
355F1 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA PPro
OK so I took my PHX to HNL flight, now I can report what the service is! I flew on the A321neo, in F we received the day bedding kit (the lighter woven blanket and lumbar pillow like INTL PE), which was a lifesaver in those awful rock hard seats. "Meal" was a choice between a sandwich and cheese plate but we were in the back so cheese plate is all that was left and the full snack basket with all the goodies. No Mai Tai's but they did have bubbly in individual bottles (plastic cups of course) and the crew really hustled to provide the best experience to the cabin given what AA provided them to serve. Overall I would still divert to go through DFW if that was at all possible based on the above photos, but it wasn't "that bad" of a way to get here to the islands.

Was never so happy to see a pillow on an airplane in my life.

Fruit and cheese plate is always pretty good really. AA's new snack basket is nice too.

Bottega sparkling wine, it isn't Dom or Krug, but it is the only bubbly I have drank in the air in 2020!
Old Nov 8, 2020, 9:49 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Jeez I thought for a quick second you were in J when I saw the seat back in the first photo!

Domestic F really = PE (which I guess makes sense, as the seats are the same as far as I know).
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

More senior, but not super senior.
You gonna start a wiki on how we are defining "senior" vs. "super senior"? )
On a serious note, most of my cabin crews MIA LAX have been fairly senior but super efficient serving the meal... they actually have been much better overall than the much younger reserve crews I have gotten ex DFW.

Originally Posted by 757FO
Glad you said something. Did the crew enforce his mask wearing?
Yes, they certainly did but I have to admit that the guy had been so rude and distasteful to the crew that it was clear they enjoyed having a reason to reprimand him and to be fair, I couldn't blame them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.