Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by cmd320
This was the menu for the earlier MIA-LAX 77W flight departing around 3:30pm. Despite the departure time, this flight still offers a dinner service. Menus have been updated to reflect 'Flagship First' on the front of them, though the content remains unchanged for the most part:
Thanks. Do you know if the menu options are the same in J on MIA-LAX 77W?
Old Nov 10, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by econ
Thanks. Do you know if the menu options are the same in J on MIA-LAX 77W?
Menu said ‘Flagship First’ but I’d assume the J meal options are the same. This has been the case on this flight for quite a while now.
econ likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 1:02 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by HiAperture
Yikes, I'll be on the same flight tomorrow, I'll report back on the blanket and pillow. That would be um.... disappointing, to say the least, to fail to provision bedding on a redeye!
I'm on DFW to HNL at present. Blankets and pillows present in business class.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jcatman
You will be well-fed and served adult beverages on the aircraft. Enjoy your flight and dream of your upcoming Hawaiian experience. You'll have the Island to yourself.....surreal for this time of year.

Aloha.
Aloha.

Thanks and you are correct. Full meal service (beef, pasta or shrimp) served on a single tray. Beverage service before and after meal service.

No menus.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 4:26 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
I'm on DFW to HNL at present. Blankets and pillows present in business class.
Right, so the question is are they double provisioning/laundering for the return or simply not giving any for the return and carrying the dirty ones from the inbound back. Thanks
Old Nov 10, 2020, 4:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I didn’t even get pillows or blankets in FC on the 77W from MIA-LAX FWIW.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I didn’t even get pillows or blankets in FC on the 77W from MIA-LAX FWIW.
I have done MIA LAX MIA several times recently and the inconsistencies have been all over the place.

AMENITIES

Both times, MIA LAX had the PE blanket and smaller pillow in F; I asked the crew if they had the full duvet and larger pillow in J and they said that J had the same, though they agreed that both F and J should have gotten the better amenities.

LAX MIA both times F had the standard J duvet and larger pillow, but the PE lighter blanket and smaller pillow that was also previously given to F were missing.

MENUS
Most of the time, the printed menus don't match the actual options available onboard or at least that has been my experience lately.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree that there does seem to be a consistency issue. Most recently I had the full F Casper blanket and pillow.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
How is providing pillows and blankets in a hotel any different than providing them on a plane? I get the logistics are tough (I admire the whole process the way it normally works), but safety wise, it's not different. If they are changed between flights on longer flights, it's nothing more than cost cutting. Consumers would rather be told the truth. "We're hurting and we're cutting costs in places"
Old Nov 10, 2020, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
How is providing pillows and blankets in a hotel any different than providing them on a plane? I get the logistics are tough (I admire the whole process the way it normally works), but safety wise, it's not different. If they are changed between flights on longer flights, it's nothing more than cost cutting. Consumers would rather be told the truth. "We're hurting and we're cutting costs in places"
Sort of like how meal pre-order had to be discontinued because of CV. Makes no sense.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 8:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320
I agree that there does seem to be a consistency issue. Most recently I had the full F Casper blanket and pillow.
Technically, on domestic flights, F and J have the exact same Casper blanket and pillow except F is also supposed to get as an addition, the PE Casper blanket and smaller pillow
Old Nov 11, 2020, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Are Central/northern South America flights getting meals? MIA-BOG/BAQ/MDE; DFW-BOG, etc? or are people getting sick by eating a hot meal on those flights, too?
Old Nov 12, 2020, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Hnl-dfw 77w f

Overall the meal service was better on my LAX-JFK Flagship First flight last month but still a respectable service from AA (except my wife's meal, ew), thankfully we did get the normal duvet bedding kit.

HNL-DFW F Menu. Found two previous menus in the seat pockets which were different, so they seem to be rotating dishes a lot.

Mai Tai and packaged Pistachios

Shrimp & Grits. The crab dip started was too mayo heavy for me, the main was ok, the pretzel roll was hard and cold, tried to warm it up on the hot place but no help.

Yes we did get bedding.

Breakfast, the fruit was ripe and fresh, yogurt is yogurt, dipping pieces of the cold croissant in the coffee was the only way to save it. Why can't they just heat up the bread at this point?!?!

Wife ordered the pasta, which was cold, unappetizing, and inedible. I heard someone else with the same dish ask to have it heated up more, but she just wanted to go to sleep so she let it go.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by HiAperture
Overall the meal service was better on my LAX-JFK Flagship First flight last month but still a respectable service from AA (except my wife's meal, ew), thankfully we did get the normal duvet bedding kit.

Wife ordered the pasta, which was cold, unappetizing, and inedible. I heard someone else with the same dish ask to have it heated up more, but she just wanted to go to sleep so she let it go.

Oh my. I think my dog yacked up something like that once.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SeatOfMyPants
Oh my. I think my dog yacked up something like that once.
That looks awful, and I bet it's a lot of senior FAs not caring at all. This is a hey day for them. Survived furlough and onboard service (never monitored) at all time lows. I hope very single non-compliant FA gets reported on here. If they're banning pax for not following the rules, FAs need to be identified by the company for not following policy.
GrumpyYoungMan and LCSinTexas like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.