Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by carmelsown
I guess no word yet on beverage service resuming in main cabin/alcohol in main cabin? This View from the Wing article says it was supposed to have resumed by now but I guess not.
The article specifically includes a quote from an AA spokesperson about the fact that it is NOT resuming so don't look for beverages anytime soon unfortunately.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
The article specifically includes a quote from an AA spokesperson about the fact that it is NOT resuming so don't look for beverages anytime soon unfortunately.
At least AA is catering ice and sodas. If people ask nicely, some crews may provide "on-request" service in Y.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Any idea what to expect in F on LAX-OGG midday departure?
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Just saw that United is testing out buy on board in main cabin this month including beer and wine.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL-PM
Last week in F PHX-LIH midday we got a choice of a cold turkey sandwich and the fruit and cheese plate, several rounds of snack basket service, and full beverage options (beer, wine, sparkling, booze).
AANYC1981 and HiAperture like this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Just saw that United is testing out buy on board in main cabin this month including beer and wine.
It's like 2012 all over again.
cmd320 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Nov 16, 2020, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by Gabrca
Any idea what to expect in F on LAX-OGG midday departure?
Originally Posted by mills1090
Last week in F PHX-LIH midday we got a choice of a cold turkey sandwich and the fruit and cheese plate, several rounds of snack basket service, and full beverage options (beer, wine, sparkling, booze).
We also got the light longhaul bedding kit on our PHX-HNL flight last week. Bring on board food if you want more to eat than snack basket and the sandwhich or cheese plate. Enjoy Maui!
Old Nov 16, 2020, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by mills1090
If you are able to route through DFW (which may not be the most convenient schedule out of PHX, I realize that), you will get hot meals in F.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 6:47 am

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I recently flew Flagship First on the 777-300 (777W) from MIA-LAX. Business and First were given the same menu.

Choices were short rib, chicken, sea bass, or vegetarian pasta. Included a tomato/mozzarella salad, roll, and small desert.

I had the sea bass, which was excellent. Service was great. Can't wait until Flagship lounges and Dining re-open.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I recently flew Flagship First on the 777-300 (777W) from MIA-LAX. Business and First were given the same menu.

Choices were short rib, chicken, sea bass, or vegetarian pasta. Included a tomato/mozzarella salad, roll, and small desert.

I had the sea bass, which was excellent. Service was great. Can't wait until Flagship lounges and Dining re-open.
Same menu I had on this flight a couple weeks ago, though the appetizer was some beet and goat cheese thing. The tomato/mozzarella sounds better.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:42 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN

This was my recent meal in J aboard AA 238, LAX-JFK on 8 October. I’ve been flying AS and DL ever since.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by uxb
This was my recent meal in J aboard AA 238, LAX-JFK on 8 October. I’ve been flying AS and DL ever since.
Doesn't look bad. Certainly better than anything being served on AS or DL these days, not that DL serves anything at all.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 9:04 am

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Just did a dummy booking there as a guest (DCA-MIA) and I see they're still selling MCE seats for $50-60 a pop - pretty disgraceful carry on given the USP those seats have is comp alcohol (though I note they've removed this as a benefit).

Agree with the sentiment here - COVID is being used as an excuse to do as little as possible.

The FA nearest me on my CLT-DCA leg yesterday, whilst very friendly, also chilled out with her mask pulled down for most of the flight in the 2 MCE exit row seats on the A321.

There is something to be said for the younger 'hungrier' staff they let go, I feel that the old guard have a greater propensity to be checked out and make up their own rules which comes from the security of a union contract I'd guess (indeed even pre COVID I'd have felt this). There are some AAngels amongst them, but also a ton of folks phoning it in - which this thread would seem to anecdotally validate.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 9:07 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by uxb
Originally Posted by cmd320
Doesn't look bad. Certainly better than anything being served on AS or DL these days, not that DL serves anything at all.
Yea I don't get it. You don't like a hot meal on your flight and would rather have shelf stable junk food or a cold wrap/cheese plate? Or you just haven't had a chance to fly American since?
cmd320, AANYC1981, zeer0 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 17, 2020, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by uxb

Considering the Covid (excuse) times you got a hot meal and is better than any pre-wrapped carb filled crap other airlines might serve you. Hell this is better than box-o-meal for transatlantic J on BA!
I do find the food item on the very right side of the plate rather interesting. It looks like someone grabbed a green bell pepper, squeezed it then boiled it for 15 minutes.
la2clt, SkyTeam777, cmd320 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.