Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2020, 2:21 pm

AA1925 ORD-SAN 12/5/20 departing at 8:17AM. Breakfast offerings included the Fruit and Cheese Plate in addition to Turkey Croissant and Yoghurt plate. Very generous FAs with multiple passes through cabin offering beverages. Shared cheese plate with my traveling companion which included mixed nuts (not warmed). Croissant was a disappointment and very dry.

AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Dec 5, 2020, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by JustSomeFlyer
AA1925 ORD-SAN 12/5/20 departing at 8:17AM. Breakfast offerings included the Fruit and Cheese Plate in addition to Turkey Croissant and Yoghurt plate. Very generous FAs with multiple passes through cabin offering beverages. Shared cheese plate with my traveling companion which included mixed nuts (not warmed). Croissant was a disappointment and very dry.
I have definitely used the entire mustard packet with the croissant the two times I had it. A quick warming would probably help it a lot too. But if you aren't into mustard you definitely need to drink something to get it down. All said it is still less sad than the actual "first class" breakfast sandwich they used to serve on short AM flights pre-covid, which had maybe two slices of deli mystery meat on it. I do miss the mug though.

Pre-covid breakfast sandwich
Old Dec 5, 2020, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Is it just me or have the fruit garnish wedges gotten bigger? They used to be a 4th of what is pictured above.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 12:23 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Eagle BUR-PHX-BUR:

Outbound: "There will be no service provided on this flight", then F passengers offered whatever drinks they like, including seconds.
Return: "There will be no service provided on this flight", then there was no service offered whatsoever to anyone.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 1:21 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,9MM), WN
Originally Posted by NYC Flyer
Eagle BUR-PHX-BUR:

Outbound: "There will be no service provided on this flight", then F passengers offered whatever drinks they like, including seconds.
Return: "There will be no service provided on this flight", then there was no service offered whatsoever to anyone.
Sounds about right, which is why I don’t fly out of PHX.
RaindropT likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2020, 2:13 pm

Programs: IATA, Sabre, AvgeekAgent
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Is it just me or have the fruit garnish wedges gotten bigger? They used to be a 4th of what is pictured above.
HQ determined that the liability associated with the risk of knife cuts to the preparer's hands outweighed the cost savings. Accordingly, the project aiming to make the wedge smaller and smaller until it contains just one piece of pulp has been abandoned (or at least delayed until a robot capable of safely making "appropriate" wedges is acquisitioned).
AAway, wrp96, cmd320 and 2 others like this.

Last edited by NYC Flyer; Dec 6, 2020 at 2:14 pm Reason: grammar
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SEA777GUY
Flew last night on the 772 from LAX-CLT in J on the red-eye. Absolutely zero service other than just a one offer for a drink. No meal, snack, or even a bag of nuts. Was also very shocked to see the flight almost 100% full.
Next time, try to book through MIA, as even the midnight 77W gets full Flagship service but yes CLT yes no love
la2clt, SEA777GUY, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
Next time, try to book through MIA, as even the midnight 77W gets full Flagship service but yes CLT yes no love
Agreed, it’s honestly become my favorite flight in the system at this point, at least for domestic.

That said, I’m still happy to see all the domestic 777 and 787 services currently. AA is certainly earning my business away from Delta this year, at least domestically (which is really all most of us are flying at the moment).
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cmd320
Agreed, it’s honestly become my favorite flight in the system at this point, at least for domestic.

That said, I’m still happy to see all the domestic 777 and 787 services currently. AA is certainly earning my business away from Delta this year, at least domestically (which is really all most of us are flying at the moment).
I don't blame you. Even on relatively short flights, AA offers better catering than what you get on domestic Delta None these days... they should change their slogan to KEEP STARVING lol
af fp, cmd320, AANYC1981 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: BA Gold, KFC 'The Colonel's Club' Palladium tier, Mucci des Visions Célestes du Nord-Pas-de-Calais
Originally Posted by fly747first
Yes, that's because QF doesn't have any serious competition domestically and all the corporate contracts would go to them since no one trusts Virgin Australia. However, QF also lets pax bid for upgrades and has a large frequent flyer pool so I doubt they are selling that many J tickets at the full fare.
Qantas food has really gone downhill in the last few years though, I thought the AA J transcon main course was better than anything QF served domestically. And I won’t even mention BA.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Anyone know what to expect in J class tomorrow: MIA-LAX?
Old Dec 7, 2020, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
77W service? If so, it will be a full meal.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by cmd320
77W service? If so, it will be a full meal.
Yes, 77W
Old Dec 7, 2020, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, 77W
Full dinner service then with four options.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 4:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Please report on nuts.
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.