Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by hansyuwiwb

Menu - surf and turf was out, though I didn’t want it anyway.

Meal

22/Nov - AA5 DFWHNL

Really looks the same as all long haul meals exDFW. This must be the best catering domestically among the big 3 at the moment!

Crew was super nice. Wine out of real bottle too plus pre mixed mai tai as shown.
It's funny how "seasonal dessert" now means plain cheesecake which AA can afford out of DFW but not other markets lol
Old Nov 29, 2020, 1:14 pm
dll

Programs: AA Gold (prev. Ex Plat for 10 years); DL Plat; UA Gold; Hilton Diamond
Curious any recent experience...traveling LAX-HNL soon in F (787 service). My last trip on this route in April had a full one-tray hot meal service. Is that still the case? Seen a couple of reports on PHX-HNL flights offering the turkey sandwich or cheese tray instead. Based on AA.com would think hot meals are still in rotation on Hawaii flights.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by dll
Curious any recent experience...traveling LAX-HNL soon in F (787 service). My last trip on this route in April had a full one-tray hot meal service. Is that still the case? Seen a couple of reports on PHX-HNL flights offering the turkey sandwich or cheese tray instead. Based on AA.com would think hot meals are still in rotation on Hawaii flights.
I can't imagine PHX only getting a sandwich/cheese plate while LAX still gets a full service, however it would be interesting to know for sure.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by dll
Unfortunately, AA stopped providing hot meals on non-premium transcontinental domestic flights over 2200 miles in mid-July.
You would get the option between the sandwich and the cheese&fruit plate or the breakfast box if flying in the morning.

DFW-HNL/OGG/KOA are the only Hawaii routes that get a hot meal at the moment.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 1:40 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer
Unfortunately, AA stopped providing hot meals on non-premium transcontinental domestic flights over 2200 miles in mid-July.
You would get the option between the sandwich and the cheese&fruit plate or the breakfast box if flying in the morning.

DFW-HNL/OGG/KOA are the only Hawaii routes that get a hot meal at the moment.
ORD-HNL/OGG also has hot meals. My DFWHNL menu says it’s also for ex ORD in the footnote.

However no more meals on LAX/PHX-HNL. Only domestic hot meal flights are DFW/ORD-Hawaii and JFK-SFO/LAX, as well as on MIA-LAX 772/77W services.

Meanwhile sharing a friend’s picture back in Australia. This is what QF is doing on SYD-MEL in J at the moment. Block hour 1:25, flight is about 450 miles (granted there’s basically no local transmission of covid in Aus and masks aren’t even actually required onboard, though seems like ~80% people wear them anyways)

tstauck and HiAperture like this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Meanwhile sharing a friend’s picture back in Australia. This is what QF is doing on SYD-MEL in J at the moment. Block hour 1:25, flight is about 450 miles (granted there’s basically no local transmission of covid in Aus and masks aren’t even actually required onboard, though seems like ~80% people wear them anyways)
I mean, this far exceeds what we get in the US on any airline in normal times on a 90 minute flight.
chrisny2 and ceebee100 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
ORD-HNL/OGG also has hot meals. My DFWHNL menu says it’s also for ex ORD in the footnote.

However no more meals on LAX/PHX-HNL. Only domestic hot meal flights are DFW/ORD-Hawaii and JFK-SFO/LAX, as well as on MIA-LAX 772/77W services.

I forgot ORD-HNL and didn't realize that this route is resuming this Wednesday. Unfortunately, ORD-OGG would not operate this Winter season.

Originally Posted by cmd320
I mean, this far exceeds what we get in the US on any airline in normal times on a 90 minute flight.
For reference the cheapest QF J ticket on this route is $514 + taxes. ( price in USD not AUD )
In the US, passengers could usually fly a 450-mile flight in DF for $150-200 ( WCS $300 ).
Old Nov 29, 2020, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ISTFlyer

For reference the cheapest QF J ticket on this route is $514 + taxes. ( price in USD not AUD )
In the US, passengers could usually fly a 450-mile flight in DF for $150-200 ( WCS $300 ).
Yes, that's because QF doesn't have any serious competition domestically and all the corporate contracts would go to them since no one trusts Virgin Australia. However, QF also lets pax bid for upgrades and has a large frequent flyer pool so I doubt they are selling that many J tickets at the full fare.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by fly747first
However, QF also lets pax bid for upgrades and has a large frequent flyer pool so I doubt they are selling that many J tickets at the full fare.
And halfway decent award availability. Not a bad deal for 12.5k Avios.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 1:57 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Southwest A-List
Hi. This is my first post here. I flew AA on STL-ORD-ASE and return recently for Thanksgiving. Here's what I observed

11/25 AA1003 STL-ORD--Equipment was A319. I was in MCE; it looked like neither cabin received service, although anyone could request something. Very nice FA in F introduced himself to those pax and gave a little speech thanking them.
11/25 AA3170 ORD-ASE--Equipment was CRJ-700, opby SkyWest. I was in MCE. I've always had good FAs on SkyWest, though I've heard others have had different experiences. FAs were very proactive; both F and Y got snack bags (with water, a wipe, and a Biscoff). Drinks were available on request. Delayed 20 minutes for missing FA.

11/29 AA3247 ASE-ORD--Equipment was CRJ-700, opby SkyWest. I was in Y. FAs were nice; same snack bag service in both classes was provided. I did have the hardest landing of my life on 27R at ORD; it sounded as though we blew a tire, and some people screamed. Drinks were available on request.
11/29 AA1960 ORD-STL--Equipment was A319. I was in Y. We were delayed 40 minutes for an air duct issue (we could fly with it, it just had to be entered into the logbook). No service either cabin; drinks upon request.

All the FAs were really friendly. There were a few interesting people on this trip, including a GA who watched a soap opera when we were at the dumpy downstairs gates in ORD, a shirtless man in the ORD bathroom who stayed there half an hour and yelled at people, and a 20yo vlogger who took a pull on a vape on the ORD-STL flight.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:02 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by ldonnelly
Hi. This is my first post here. I flew AA on STL-ORD-ASE and return recently for Thanksgiving. Here's what I observed

11/25 AA1003 STL-ORD--Equipment was A319. I was in MCE; it looked like neither cabin received service, although anyone could request something. Very nice FA in F introduced himself to those pax and gave a little speech thanking them.
11/25 AA3170 ORD-ASE--Equipment was CRJ-700, opby SkyWest. I was in MCE. I've always had good FAs on SkyWest, though I've heard others have had different experiences. FAs were very proactive; both F and Y got snack bags (with water, a wipe, and a Biscoff). Drinks were available on request. Delayed 20 minutes for missing FA.

11/29 AA3247 ASE-ORD--Equipment was CRJ-700, opby SkyWest. I was in Y. FAs were nice; same snack bag service in both classes was provided. I did have the hardest landing of my life on 27R at ORD; it sounded as though we blew a tire, and some people screamed. Drinks were available on request.
11/29 AA1960 ORD-STL--Equipment was A319. I was in Y. We were delayed 40 minutes for an air duct issue (we could fly with it, it just had to be entered into the logbook). No service either cabin; drinks upon request.

All the FAs were really friendly. There were a few interesting people on this trip, including a GA who watched a soap opera when we were at the dumpy downstairs gates in ORD, a shirtless man in the ORD bathroom who stayed there half an hour and yelled at people, and a 20yo vlogger who took a pull on a vape on the ORD-STL flight.
Nice to see things are returning to normal out there.
Old Dec 1, 2020, 11:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ldonnelly
Thanks for your post! Glad you had such a positive experience in MCE & Y.

I had a blitz over the weekend because a fire popped up in DCA but I didn't want to cut short my weekend plans in SAN, so I flew SAN to DCA then back to SAN, then back from LAX to DCA on my originally planned flights:

Friday night 10:43 p.m. SAN-MIA-DCA. SAN-MIA was uneventful, I popped a benadryl and slept after the (prompt) double-woodford in the air. MIA-DCA was E75 with a FA who did not want to be bothered, but I was in 1A so I reclined as soon as we got on the runway (it's quite nearly lie-flat, if you angle right), and didn't wake up until we docked at the gate (yet, I was still nearly lie-flat).

Saturday midday DCA-DFW-SAN. DCA-DFW was uneventful except for the poor woman and her kid who rushed to the front claiming "we're going to miss our flight" despite landing 30 minutes early, only to have the misfortune of running into me, who asked how they could possibly be late when we were early. Long story short, the woman and her kid learned the difference between flight time and boarding time, but I chaperoned both of them from C to A terminal before heading off to stop into the Centurion at D and catch my flight from D (which was departing a whopping five minutes after theirs). I had a turkey sandwich on DCA-DFW and another on DFW-SAN, except that I saved the second one until it was almost landing time because I had eaten a bit at the Centurion.

Monday 12:10 a.m. (so, Sunday night) LAX-MIA-DCA. I posted the meal & menu from LAX-MIA in the domestic meals thread so I won't repost here (this was 77W J -- the rest of the legs were all standard-issue domestic F). MIA-DCA was on an A319 which honestly I am coming to love because of the pax:FA ratio so long as you actually make the upgrade. I cleared at the window. FA was Edgar, an excitable Hispanic fellow whom I've had before and who spoke to me only in chicano slang the whole time but I rolled with it (I am by no means Hispanic, but I get this a lot to, from, and in MIA) and it was truly excellent service. Refills, explanations, conversation, etc., when desired and not otherwise. He got my last applAAuse cert.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:48 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Latest flights:

11/29 AA 3148 PSP-PHX 0728-0938 CRJ-700:

No service either cabin. Whatever it's a 40 minute flight

11/29 AA 1245 PHX-MIA 1040-1659 737-800:

Snack bag with bottled water and Biscoff for everyone

Choice of fruit and cheese plate or turkey and havarti sandwich. Excellent crew who gave lots of refills, used names for every passenger and thanked all EXPs before landing

AA 4658 MIA-RDU 1830-2040 EMB-175

Pathetic flight crew. No service at all in either cabin. A few people pressed the call button in First and were responded to rudely and only given a half full cup of water. Some people when they tried to flag down FAs were just ignored.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by CMK10

What's that in the cup next to the grapes?? Don't tell me they're nuts.....
GrumpyYoungMan and HiAperture like this.
Old Dec 2, 2020, 11:08 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by enviroian
What's that in the cup next to the grapes?? Don't tell me they're nuts.....
Sure looks like it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.