Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2020, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
DCA-ORD
Oasis 738 with power outlets that didn’t work...what a way to spend $$$ on a retrofit.
Ah, well you know Papa Parker only orders the best retrofits LOL
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:21 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by uxb
I’m filing a criminal complaint instead.
My hoodie went missing on the flight. The FA balled it up and tossed it in the overhead bin at takeoff. When we landed at JFK, I completely forgot about it until I got to baggage claim. I went to lost and found and AA came up with every excuse under the sun as to why no one could retrieve my hoodie. Filed a claim and it was never found.
A criminal complaint isn't going to get you anything.

Minimal value, no suspect identified, a couple hundred possible.

It would go right into the closed file, nobody will ever see it.

It could be an accident with it getting mixed with someone else's stuff.

Go to Walmart and spend 8 bucks and call it a day.
jhalapin and DC9 like this.
Old Nov 22, 2020, 10:24 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by uxb
I did. 5000 miles was their response. One of their employees also helped themselves to my hoodie on the same flight.
And you saw that happen?

That's a huge assumption.
jhalapin and DC9 like this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 2:08 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
OGG-DFW
Boeing 777-200 Zodiac Concept-D Seats
First Class
Dinner/Snack

Another fantastic service on AA from Hawaii. The seats, however, left a lot to be desired. God, those Concept D seats are awful. If AA ever makes money again, these need to be one of the first things to go. AWFUL for a premium international product.

Casper duvet and pillow and printed menu were waiting at my seat upon boarding as well as the premium headphones.

FA took meal orders after take-off and commented how it was nice to see a "top tier" flyer again.

Menu - American Airlines First Class Maui (OGG) to DFW (Dallas/Ft. Worth)

Shrimp & Grits Dinner

I opted for the Shrimp & Grits. Beggars certainly can't be choosers, but those were some small shrimp and interesting looking grits. The asparagus was EXCELLENT and surprisingly moist. The crab salad was served over a grilled pineapple and was excellent. The cheesecake was the perfect ending. Drink service before and after the meal, bottles of water handed out as well.

I can't comment on the pre-landing service as I had my eyes closed "attempting" to sleep.

Other than the hard product, the soft product was incredible. We arrived into DFW 30 minutes early. Well done, AA!

DFW-SLC
Boeing 737-800 with personal TV'S!

Service from this FA earned her in AApplause certificate as she barely sat during the whole flight and coordinated excellent service from her onboard team so well. One FA came around personally offering bottles of water and the "snack" bag to each First Class passenger prior to boarding with a smile.

Drink orders for in the air were taken before takeoff. Of note, we arrived into SLC around 30 minutes late due to a large backup of planes attempting to takeoff at the same time from DFW. It certainly felt like the pre-COVID days! The holiday rush is in full swing at DFW. Side note, the awesome ladies who checked me in at the DFW Centurion Club commented how I was lucky not to have flown on Saturday morning as it was absolutely packed in the lounge. They said that they had 531 people checked in during the morning alone, and the Turks & Caicos flight was delayed 2.5 hours, so it really made the lounge quite crowded. Thankfully, it wasn't that bad on my visit. I later went to the C Admiral's Club and noted it was quite busy. The agents were back to checking people in downstairs and commented how they do so when the club is busy.

Back to this flight, the FA barely sat down the entire flight. She was constantly in the aisle offering proactive drink refills. She would have her team frequently go through the aisle in advance of her next beverage run collecting trash and keeping the cabin tidy. Meal choices were the turkey/havarti cheese sandwich or fruit and cheese flight. I stowed mine for later eating as I had plans to visit In-n-Out upon my arrival in Salt Lake! Upon landing, I overheard several passengers comment how awesome the flight was and how it felt like "the good old days." Several commented that on some flights, they've barely received a beverage service. It was clear the FA loved her job. I bet there were some DL loyalists on this flight into the SLC fortress who were converted based on the comments I heard. When AA gets it right, they get it right!
Old Nov 23, 2020, 2:19 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
When AA gets it right they’re the best ❤️
DC9 likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 6:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
MIA-LAX in J last night on the 77W. Full meal options of short rib, sea bass, chicken, or pasta. My gf on the other aisle was refused the seabass ("we're out"), then 2 minutes later I had no problem ordering for myself. Is this prioritization by status? I wasn't aware AA did that.

In any event, the food was very good. Service, OTOH, was awful (on both STX-MIA and MIA-LAX).
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:22 am

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Originally Posted by Kacee
MIA-LAX in J last night on the 77W).
Flying same route and class tomorrow. I guess there is no point to waste an upgrade to F on this flight
Old Nov 23, 2020, 7:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by afmiami
Flying same route and class tomorrow. I guess there is no point to waste an upgrade to F on this flight
I’d say only if it’s expiring soon.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by HiAperture
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy

Hah, we both had the same menu and selection! Interesting how much different the presentation was all around. Your crab looks much more natural, my grits were under the shrimp not in a cube. You got a much better (and more appropriate) dessert!

Looks like your whole tray was wrapped rather than the individual dishes? Was the roll warmed up at all or ice cold like mine?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: Does Non Rev count?
Originally Posted by uxb
I’m filing a criminal complaint instead.

My hoodie went missing on the flight. The FA balled it up and tossed it in the overhead bin at takeoff. When we landed at JFK, I completely forgot about it until I got to baggage claim. I went to lost and found and AA came up with every excuse under the sun as to why no one could retrieve my hoodie. Filed a claim and it was never found.
Please tell me that you aren't going to waste police time and effort with this silliness. It was a hoodie. I'm sorry it went missing, after YOU forgot about it, but seriously, criminal charges?
Old Nov 23, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by HiAperture
Hah, we both had the same menu and selection! Interesting how much different the presentation was all around. Your crab looks much more natural, my grits were under the shrimp not in a cube. You got a much better (and more appropriate) dessert!

Looks like your whole tray was wrapped rather than the individual dishes? Was the roll warmed up at all or ice cold like mine?
Very interesting! I've always found the catering out of OGG to be excellent. No, the roll was cold. Each item was individually wrapped, but I removed those for the picture. The whole tray was also wrapped, which I found interesting.
Old Nov 23, 2020, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Very interesting! I've always found the catering out of OGG to be excellent. No, the roll was cold. Each item was individually wrapped, but I removed those for the picture. The whole tray was also wrapped, which I found interesting.
Agree, OGG usually has great catering
Old Nov 23, 2020, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA
Any idea what food/drink service I might expect on JFK-PHX in F? Travel time is 5h45m but 2153mi is under the 2200 range threshold mentioned in the wiki. Just curious if we should make the cross terminal detour to the Centurion lounge before or bring food with us on the flight.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 1:49 am

Originally Posted by y642637
Any idea what food/drink service I might expect on JFK-PHX in F? Travel time is 5h45m but 2153mi is under the 2200 range threshold mentioned in the wiki. Just curious if we should make the cross terminal detour to the Centurion lounge before or bring food with us on the flight.
Depending on departure time, you'll get a choice of the breakfast options served on mid cons for either breakfast or lunch/dinner. Domestically, plated meals are reserved for either the 77W MIA-LAX flights, JFK/LAX/SFO flights, or flights out of DFW to Hawaii. If a wrapped sandwich and/or fruit/cheese plate isn't going to be enough to sustain you on this flight, I'd highly recommend a visit to the Centurion Lounge or attempting to bring food aboard on your flight.
cmd320 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Nov 24, 2020, 4:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by y642637
Hot food on 2200+ mi Domestic First flights was removed back in mid-July so as UAPremierGuy mentioned, you would be receiving a breakfast box or wrap if your flight departs in the morning, or a packaged sandwich or cheese&fruit plate, if you're flight is departing the rest of the day.

If you have time a detour to the Centurion Lounge may be worth it, if you're looking for proper meals.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.