Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 9, 2021, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by TravelForum
I will refer to her as a Stewardess. That's what she is, last century or not. You may call her whatever you'd like, just as I will. Thanks.
I believe in the UK they are still called flight hostesses.
Old Sep 9, 2021, 9:38 am
Suspended

Posted a pleasant review on our flight down to SJD on Saturday. Yesterday's flight was not as great. Thanks again to the person who posted the link.
Old Sep 15, 2021, 6:10 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
9/10 AA 2693 RDU-DFW 1552-1755 737-800

Choices were the turkey sandwich or the salad. The FA said this had mustard in it but I didn't taste it. The bread to meat ratio isn't very good and the sandwich is pretty tasteless overall. The potato salad however was very good.

9/10 AA 1241 DFW-SEA 1910-2136 A-321

Same choices as the last flight. The salad was actually pretty tasty and definitely different than I was expecting. This was a good light meal.
plinth857 and Brandinho1 like this.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
9/15 AA 809 TPA-PHL 1720-2005 A-321

Choice of the Pimento sandwich or the Turkey Pastrami sandwich. This wasn't terrible but more meat was definitely needed. Once again the potato salad was the best part.
Old Sep 16, 2021, 8:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by CMK10
9/10 AA 2693 RDU-DFW 1552-1755 737-800

Choices were the turkey sandwich or the salad. The FA said this had mustard in it but I didn't taste it. The bread to meat ratio isn't very good and the sandwich is pretty tasteless overall. The potato salad however was very good.

9/10 AA 1241 DFW-SEA 1910-2136 A-321

Same choices as the last flight. The salad was actually pretty tasty and definitely different than I was expecting. This was a good light meal.
Just love how the sandwich is stamped with Protein.
roadtriper and cmd320 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:42 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
A tale of two airlines

Had to fly to LAX last week at a moments notice and AA's timings out of DCA didn't work for me, so I flew there on UA ex IAD and then back on AA into DCA.

The inflight service in the back on UA blew me away. Choice of 3 different snacks in the back and the crew let you take as much as you want. Hot meals were available for purchase, in addition to shelf-stable snacks and booze. They did three full beverage services on the flight (after take-off, during trash pickup after the first service, and then immediately before arrival). Crew walked around several times during the flight with trays of water bottles, and offered alternate beverages. I had a cup of coffee midway through the flight, and not only did they brew a fresh pot for me, they offered me a refill about 20 minutes after delivering the cup.

It's hard to compare the hard product of a 763 to an 737 Max, so I won't go there, but the experience on AA (AA2532) on the way back couldn't have been worse. Just a single beverage service after take-off (assuming the pre-arrival beverage run has been eliminated due to covid?) with a choice of a sweet and savory snack. Asked if I could have both (flight wasn't full in Y) and the response was an emphatic "no". Walked to the galley 90 minutes before landing to ask for a glass of water, to which a FA responded "I suppose so".
twa777, wrp96, cmd320 and 2 others like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:10 pm
Suspended

What's the deal with putting sauces/dressing on the sandwiches? I wouldn't be able to even eat that.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
9/15 AA 809 TPA-PHL 1720-2005 A-321

Choice of the Pimento sandwich or the Turkey Pastrami sandwich. This wasn't terrible but more meat was definitely needed. Once again the potato salad was the best part.
That looks like 2 half-slices of meat. If you flip one of them, you'll get better bread coverage with less meat overlap.

Last edited by SpammersAreScum; Sep 20, 2021 at 4:52 pm
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:49 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaMD88
What's the deal with putting sauces/dressing on the sandwiches? I wouldn't be able to even eat that.
Seems most of the world has this odd obsession with putting nasty sauces on otherwise tasty (or at least mediocre) sammiches.
teemuflyer, jmrp and FlyDeltaMD88 like this.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyDeltaMD88
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan
Seems most of the world has this odd obsession with putting nasty sauces on otherwise tasty (or at least mediocre) sammiches.
Yes, please let me add my own, if I want some. I get it's not always possible, but then I would be in a restaurant where I would have a plethora of choices to sidestep this issue.
Old Sep 21, 2021, 5:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
I believe in the UK they are still called flight hostesses.
Nope. Cabin crew is the term we use in the UK.
LCSinTexas and SFflyer20 like this.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 10:47 am

Programs: Skymiles, AAdvantage, MileagePlus
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Pre COVID there were a few routes (LGA/ORD for example) that were exceptions for meals for competitive reasons. Post COVID I would think those exceptions are gone.
Does the community have an update on the F meal service ORD - NYC (EWR / LGA / JFK) in September 2021? Used to be a hot tray service with pretty consistent drink rounds. This is a competitive route, I've flown F in UA, DL and AA pre-COVID and always thought that AA had the best service.

In the "late COVID" era, any updates on what the ORD - NYC service looks like in F? Thanks!
Old Sep 22, 2021, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, United 1K, Delta Platinum ,Hilton Diamond, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by BrianJ
Does the community have an update on the F meal service ORD - NYC (EWR / LGA / JFK) in September 2021? Used to be a hot tray service with pretty consistent drink rounds. This is a competitive route, I've flown F in UA, DL and AA pre-COVID and always thought that AA had the best service.

In the "late COVID" era, any updates on what the ORD - NYC service looks like in F? Thanks!
All the old exception routes are snack basket atm. Only >900mi flights get meals right now.
BrianJ likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 8:26 am

Originally Posted by keyw
All the old exception routes are snack basket atm. Only >900mi flights get meals right now.
It's pretty sad. Even the old competition routes like DCA-ORD are snack basket only now.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 12:07 pm

9/24 AA 5496 SYR-PHL 1600-1711 CRJ-700: Full drink service and snack basket in F
9/24 AA 972 PHL-PHX 1900-2112 A-321:

Choice of the Pimento sandwich or Turkey Pastrami. Best part was the hummus. I can tolerate these meals on shorter flights but I arrived into PHX really hungry

9/25 AA 5847 PHX-FAT 0809-0953 CRJ-900: Full drink service and snack basket in F

It's nice to see the snack basket being more consistent especially on Eagle and shorter flights at least. Getting tired of the cold meals though.
dpb132, BWISkyGuy and simonsuo like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.