Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2020, 4:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by cmd320
Agreed, that actually looks very decent. Better than what they're serving on premium transcons even.
Yes, but length of flight, within reason, shouldn't really govern the quality of the product. For instance, this meal looks WAY better than the meal I had in three-class First JFK-LAX in June. Both of these flights are long enough to qualify for full service, and you'd think First on JFK-LAX is a more lucrative market than DFW-HNL (but what do I know).
cmd320 likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2020, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
Yes, but length of flight, within reason, shouldn't really govern the quality of the product. For instance, this meal looks WAY better than the meal I had in three-class First JFK-LAX in June. Both of these flights are long enough to qualify for full service, and you'd think First on JFK-LAX is a more lucrative market than DFW-HNL (but what do I know).
The posted pictures are from a flight ex DFW where I bet AA has lower catering costs than JFK and Doug Parker has always wanted to run airlines from excel sheets
Old Nov 2, 2020, 8:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA: CK
Originally Posted by fly747first
The posted pictures are from a flight ex DFW where I bet AA has lower catering costs than JFK and Doug Parker has always wanted to run airlines from excel sheets
I’m sure that’s true. It still doesn’t make sense to me that AA puts a better meal on DFW-HNL two-class F than on JFK-LAX three-class F.
Old Nov 3, 2020, 9:21 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
DFW-Hawaii (HNL/OGG) F catering remains pretty much unchanged except for the lack of Hawaiian nut mix, large salad, and ice cream sundaes. On the plus side, they now serve On The Rocks Mai Tais - which I believe is new.

-FlyerBeek
Looks like a great flight. Making me ill that I had to route through PHX, I hope this level of service is available on the redeye return though!

I'll report back what I get in a few days going through PHX, I would be very pleasantly surprised if it was what you got, but I think it is going to be a cheese plate.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 3:54 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Folks--this thread is about current food and beverage options on AA. Anything other than that does not belong and will be deleted.

If you see a post that does not belong, DO NOT REPLY. Please use the caution triangle that appears to the lower left and it will be brought to the forum moderators' attention.

Thanks.

~moderator

Last edited by aztimm; Nov 4, 2020 at 4:02 am
Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Any news on whether beverage service is returning to Y on flights? Wasn't there mention of a mid-November date? Lots of long regional jet flights with zero service these days.
aztimm likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Any news on whether beverage service is returning to Y on flights? Wasn't there mention of a mid-November date? Lots of long regional jet flights with zero service these days.
If I'm not wrong, you could press the call button and ask for your drink of choice.
Although, still no alcohol on MCE.

On premium-transcontinental flights, JFK-LAX, JFK-SFO, LAX-MIA on 77W; the drink cart service is still resuming.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
IIRC JonNYC had said or heard a rumor that the beverage cart was returning to Y. Not sure of whether alcohol was coming back but I tend to doubt. I'm not sure if we will ever see alcohol in Y again given the increasing number of alcohol related/induced issues. No word AFAIK on BOB.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 11:53 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I refuse to fly American Eagle until they can officially harmonize the service with mainline.
dpb132, jcatman and tstauck like this.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 7:27 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I refuse to fly American Eagle until they can officially harmonize the service with mainline.
I miss Compass Airlines dba American Eagle. Those FA's got it right 99% of the time.
Old Nov 4, 2020, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Skywest has been AWFUL the last few weeks. Angry FA's on almost every flight who as soon as the flight hits 10,000 feet run to the back and hide for the rest of the flight.
SkyTeam777 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 12:27 am
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Oct. 30 SFO-JFK in J.

Printed menu and 4 choices for main dish. First time flying during Covid19 and I'm impressed with AA.

Before arrival we received a wrapped chocolate chip cookie and the FA passed with the snack basket.

Old Nov 5, 2020, 1:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by aw
... and the FA passed with the snack basket.

I feel like this snack basket is major news -- beef jerky & parm crisps, outstanding. Thanks for the report!
Old Nov 5, 2020, 4:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
The return of Lorissas is very exciting
chrisny2, Segments, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 5, 2020, 8:18 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
DFW-Hawaii (HNL/OGG) F catering remains pretty much unchanged except for the lack of Hawaiian nut mix, large salad, and ice cream sundaes. On the plus side, they now serve On The Rocks Mai Tais - which I believe is new.

-FlyerBeek

I don't have any insider information, but if you ask me why DFW-HNL seems to have better food than SFO/LAX-JFK, I'd say it's probably because at this point DFW only has international catering. Therefore they are loading the same food onto DFWHNL as DFWMAD, whereas SFO/LAX no longer has any international flights so they are just scraping together whatever they can find. JFK has 1x daily LHR flight but DFW has by far more international flights that require meal service. I haven't seen a recent meal on JFK-LHR, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's the same half plat setup as JFK-LAX given it's the LHR flight is really only 5.5 ish hours and most of the cabin probably won't even bother with eating.
twa777, anchor79, afmiami and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.