Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2021, 1:46 am

Yeah i had to do some travelling recently here in march. Flew a few airlines on a bunch of flights but mostly AA.

I do have to say AA flight attendants had the most "service on request only" and "we are not here to serve you right now" attitude because of the pandemic. I saw many sitting in empty rows on flights. They would do one round of drinks or pass out the bags for coach and then just to sleep/relax/chit chat. I saw alot of sitting in empty rows. They almost acted like it was their time we were imposing on once they finished that once task. Really had to get their attention for a drink after that one. I do hope things change after the pandemic and they don't carry over this attitude as a new normal. I do believe its a small amount, the vast majority are very hard working and i saw a few bad actors. We are dealing with mostly senior FAs at the moment. Alot of more junior FAs are coming back April/May for mainline! I think we will see a real shift as they have not been flying for months. Only real senior mainline FAs are there right now like 6+ years of service. I just hope this attitude that any service is optional on their part and that's not what they are there for shifts back to what it was.

WN and DL have reduced service but the FAs attitude just seemed so much better. They didn't seem to do or handle their jobs much differently. I got no attitudes on DL or WN. If you wanted another water it was no problem on WN or DL, not an eye roll. AA asking for anything felt like an eye roll and sigh. Again i think the vast vast majority of AA flight attendants are awesome and amazing but theres just a weird "we are not here to serve you attitude" that wasn't so prevalent.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by safari ari
Any thoughts/rumors on when more normal service or BYOB food will be available in Y?
I honestly don't ever see it coming back. Everything can be blamed on default "covid" from here on. This of course is 100% guise for cost cutting. I honestly think what we have now is here to stay for the foreseeable future.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:24 am

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred, Delta Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Avis PP
Originally Posted by born sleepy
Two Republic legs this weekend, both in F and drink orders were taken without prompting. Last weekend ATL-DCA in F, I never saw the FAs again after the safety demo. I didn't know there was a crew rest hide-out on E175!
On my BGR-CLT Republic flight a few weeks ago they curtained off the back galley at the beginning of the flight, and other than doing a couple rounds to collect trash that was where they hung out during the flight. Very strange.
born sleepy likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Any thoughts/rumors on when more normal service or BYOB food will be available in Y?
This is one area where airlines actually are losing $$ by not selling food so I would see that coming back sometime this year....AS is already selling the fruit/cheese plates on longer flights in Y but you have to pre-order.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 9:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by lunchtime
Yeah i had to do some travelling recently here in march. Flew a few airlines on a bunch of flights but mostly AA.

I do have to say AA flight attendants had the most "service on request only" and "we are not here to serve you right now" attitude because of the pandemic. I saw many sitting in empty rows on flights. They would do one round of drinks or pass out the bags for coach and then just to sleep/relax/chit chat. I saw alot of sitting in empty rows. They almost acted like it was their time we were imposing on once they finished that once task. Really had to get their attention for a drink after that one. I do hope things change after the pandemic and they don't carry over this attitude as a new normal. I do believe its a small amount, the vast majority are very hard working and i saw a few bad actors. We are dealing with mostly senior FAs at the moment. Alot of more junior FAs are coming back April/May for mainline! I think we will see a real shift as they have not been flying for months. Only real senior mainline FAs are there right now like 6+ years of service. I just hope this attitude that any service is optional on their part and that's not what they are there for shifts back to what it was.

WN and DL have reduced service but the FAs attitude just seemed so much better. They didn't seem to do or handle their jobs much differently. I got no attitudes on DL or WN. If you wanted another water it was no problem on WN or DL, not an eye roll. AA asking for anything felt like an eye roll and sigh. Again i think the vast vast majority of AA flight attendants are awesome and amazing but theres just a weird "we are not here to serve you attitude" that wasn't so prevalent.
My experience has been completely the opposite... the majority of AA FAs are still working hard whilst many DL FAs can't even be bothered to pass a second little bottle of water in First Class.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:19 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
This is one area where airlines actually are losing $$ by not selling food so I would see that coming back sometime this year....AS is already selling the fruit/cheese plates on longer flights in Y but you have to pre-order.
That's my thought as well, selling a preserved food item at a high margin or an already stocked beer/liquor bottle at the cost of an NYC bar has to make the airline money. Supposedly DL is going to provide more service come April, so seems airlines are at least bringing some service back slowly. Just hoping EXP still get free food in the back though, in case of a missed UG.

Last edited by safari ari; Mar 15, 2021 at 10:30 am
Old Mar 15, 2021, 11:00 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
I always thought that airlines (at least the US3) never made money on BOB, but rather just barely broke even. Instead, the BOB programs were designed so airlines could recoup the cost of providing any sort of complimentary meal service.
freeagent likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
There was a "rumor" awhile back that AA wanted to resume a beverage service in Y but the union objected. I see militant union leaders claiming safety hazard for doing any kind of regular beverage/BOB service in Y. Maybe we might see the carts back on flight from 900 to 2,200 miles instead of the baggies.
CLT likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
...liquor bottle at the cost of an NYC bar ...
Please share the NYC bars that serve 50ml pours of Woodford for 8 bucks... (not saying AA isn't profiting on the sales but I really don't think it's that high margin once you factor in all the costs of facilitating catering)

Anyhow:

Currently on 12pm AA4982 EYW-DCA, Republic E75. The front FA was a little squirrely. Literally drew the galley curtain shut and hid behind it for a minute but then peeked out and I flagged him for a drink. (Another benefit of 1A.) He didn't appear to be aware of the lime-to-watermelon mixer-mixup, but after we got through all that, he was friendly enough and got other folks drinks too. The back FA was great and came around to offer refills and make pleasant banter with the 100% tourist cabin. Evidently the back FA lives in Italy and has been commuting back and forth all pandemic, didn't know that was really a thing overseas like it is domestically.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 12:37 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Please share the NYC bars that serve 50ml pours of Woodford for 8 bucks...
I thought AA last raised spirits to 10$, which for the cost of a normal sized Woodford is only 4 bottles. Wasn't really the point about NYC, but was more so that there is an extreme markup on alcohol, $8 for a Bud Light (c'mon). I get all the logistics costs more, but they already stock the carts for F, so it'll just be scaling and getting more inventory,
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 1:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
I thought AA last raised spirits to 10$, which for the cost of a normal sized Woodford is only 4 bottles. Wasn't really the point about NYC, but was more so that there is an extreme markup on alcohol, $8 for a Bud Light (c'mon). I get all the logistics costs more, but they already stock the carts for F, so it'll just be scaling and getting more inventory,
I was just jabbin'! (and mea culpa if indeed it's 10 bucks a mini, although technically I guess there hasn't been a price tag in nearly a year since it's not for sale!)
safari ari and madmanshoney like this.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
There was a "rumor" awhile back that AA wanted to resume a beverage service in Y but the union objected. I see militant union leaders claiming safety hazard for doing any kind of regular beverage/BOB service in Y. Maybe we might see the carts back on flight from 900 to 2,200 miles instead of the baggies.
I have seen FAs serving drinks to the PE cabin (sold as MCE) on short flights such as DFW ORD
Old Mar 15, 2021, 10:15 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, B6, WN
Originally Posted by fly747first
My experience has been completely the opposite... the majority of AA FAs are still working hard whilst many DL FAs can't even be bothered to pass a second little bottle of water in First Class.
My recent transcon experience on DL agrees. This was on a 752 with lie flats, previously a D1 route. FAs gave one beer/wine service, then sat in open F seats for the rest of the nearly 6 hour flight. I was not afraid to push the call button a few times for refills, but I seemed to be the only one to expect minimal service. I was disappointed not to receive a survey after the flight, would have liked to share my opinion. Luckily this was to use up expiring credits, haven’t booked DL since and don’t plan on it anytime soon.
Old Mar 15, 2021, 11:58 pm

I am looking at LAX-JFK in July in Y. It is saying snack/brunch. Has the true "meal" in coach resumed which was previously offered, or is that just the snack bag being passed out?
Old Mar 16, 2021, 5:06 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by fly747first
I have seen FAs serving drinks to the PE cabin (sold as MCE) on short flights such as DFW ORD
That would be very, very rare. Along the lines of getting a PDB. I'm regularly on PE domestic routes sold as Y and the only thing given to coach (assuming greater than 900 miles) is the little baggie. Particularly when the standard announcement is that there is no service in the Y cabin unless upon request and only then no booze.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.