Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2021, 2:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
It all makes me wonder if the era of a pre-departure drink is gone forever...
"Forever" is quite perhaps going too far. For the foreseeable future, much more likely. I'm in the camp that the most service levels will return to pre-covid standards, eventually. Eventually, is, of course, very vague and in the "who knows" territory timeline wise..
Old Mar 27, 2021, 3:42 pm
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Originally Posted by BlooJoo
In my experience, AA never stopped full beverage service in F. Or if they did, it was for a very brief time.
The Delta announcement is in reference to Y.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
In the lazy FA lying so they won't have to do their job department flew MIA/CLT on the 772 just now. About 30 minutes into flight no FAs are visible. So I go into the galley where a FA is eating her lunch and she's not very happy I interrupted her. I ask if there's going to be a beverage service in F. She claims not on flights under 900 miles. I ask if I can request an alcoholic drink. No AA doesn't allow alcohol drinks in BOTH cabins on flights less than 900 miles. When I point out that I fly this route nearly once a week almost always in F (and often paid F might I add) a full beverage service is offered. Said FA tells me that's because most FAs are violating corporate policy. But she can get me some water "if I really need it." Yes I do with ice.

I guess I could write a complaint for what good it would do. Maybe I'll have better luck on my connection .

Please tell me you got her name and reported her. This is unacceptable. Sorry there are thousands of hard working flight attendants out there that have been let go and would do anything to be on board earning their living. I wish I was there. I would have immediately fired up the webpage where it states beverages in F. I would has asked her "why you're at it can I grab your sandwich too?"
AAway, onanisland, CLT and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
In the lazy FA lying so they won't have to do their job department flew MIA/CLT on the 772 just now. About 30 minutes into flight no FAs are visible. So I go into the galley where a FA is eating her lunch and she's not very happy I interrupted her. I ask if there's going to be a beverage service in F. She claims not on flights under 900 miles. I ask if I can request an alcoholic drink. No AA doesn't allow alcohol drinks in BOTH cabins on flights less than 900 miles. When I point out that I fly this route nearly once a week almost always in F (and often paid F might I add) a full beverage service is offered. Said FA tells me that's because most FAs are violating corporate policy. But she can get me some water "if I really need it." Yes I do with ice.

I guess I could write a complaint for what good it would do. Maybe I'll have better luck on my connection .
It seems my Republic Airways FA from last August got promoted to work AA 777's now. Definitely report them, this is not a time for lazy FA's to get away with stunts like this when their colleagues who are willing and able have been furloughed.
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 11:29 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum

Recent (previously dinner service) midcon
chrisny2 and enviroian like this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by metallo

Recent (previously dinner service) midcon
Is that new packaging for the turkey sandwich?
Old Mar 28, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: CoUniHound 1K 1MM, AA EXP 2MM, DL Plat, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
It all makes me wonder if the era of a pre-departure drink is gone forever...
Pre-COVID I never really hit more than a 50/50 chance of getting a PDB, so I'm also guessing it will be a long time before we start getting PDBs on AA, and probably long after they return to other carriers.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 10:05 am

Programs: Whatever AMEX Plat comes with... I buy on price.. Spirit Big Front Seat, want First/buy First
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Sounds about right. I was flying MIA-DCA in paid (discounted) F last month. FA absolutely refused to do any alcohol service in F. He said "when the drinks come out the masks stay down, so I'm not doing it." Not even worth my time any more to send in a complaint. Management doesn't care.

-FlyerBeek

Meanwhile during height of pandemic I flew RIC-CRW-MCO on Spirit (A320) in Big Front Seat for about $100 all in one way. On the half hour RIC-CRW managed to get served a double mixed drink with no problem, and passing thru 10k out of CRW got asked if I wanted another round (of course had to pay, but at that price, that's fine). I've had a number of AA flights up front in the ensuing months (WFBF, can get some good deals) and maybe I'm just getting a lot of ex-US crews because for the most part it has been doubles without requesting, and the sandwich or cheese plate (which to be honest on like a AUS-CLT that's all I really would want anyway, be it on a plate or in a bag). I have had a couple shorter flights like CLT-BWI where there was no service in F... F/A from the back came through collecting trash and got bombarded with drink requests from half of F.. and she just said "You'll have to talk with her" and pointed to the front galley. So half the cabin stood up and formed a line like at the stand-up bar at a wedding reception. She was not too happy to have her sandwich interrupted (which was of the inflight service variety as the wrapper was right there on the counter). I did write in...
Spiff likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Is that new packaging for the turkey sandwich?
Looks like same packaging to me, but the angle shows off the colorful accent which complements the blue notes on the Glenlivet bottles well
Old Mar 28, 2021, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Looks like same packaging to me, but the angle shows off the colorful accent which complements the blue notes on the Glenlivet bottles well
The packaging looks more professional and different than the plastic wrapped sandwich (and cookie) pictures I've been seeing (that look like something your mom packed for your school lunch).
cmd320 likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 2:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
The packaging looks more professional and different than the plastic wrapped sandwich (and cookie) pictures I've been seeing (that look like something your mom packed for your school lunch).
Yes this is exactly what I meant. I recall getting handed to me wrapped in Saran Wrap.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Yes this is exactly what I meant. I recall getting handed to me wrapped in Saran Wrap.
The sandwich itself is wrapped in Saran Wrap, yes.

But it is then packaged inside the brown paper/plastic bag together with Saran-wrapped cookie, napkins, and mayo packet.

The brown paper/plastic bag thing then has a thick white label wrapped around it, on the back of which is the ingredients/"manufactured by" info. Somehow I have never taken a picture of this, LOL.

ETA: here's a picture. You can clearly see the brown paper/plastic thing, and then my red arrow is pointing to the thick white label, which I think we are simply seeing the front of in the picture above.

chrisny2 and enviroian like this.
Old Mar 28, 2021, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
The sandwich itself is wrapped in Saran Wrap, yes.

But it is then packaged inside the brown paper/plastic bag together with Saran-wrapped cookie, napkins, and mayo packet.

The brown paper/plastic bag thing then has a thick white label wrapped around it, on the back of which is the ingredients/"manufactured by" info. Somehow I have never taken a picture of this, LOL.

ETA: here's a picture. You can clearly see the brown paper/plastic thing, and then my red arrow is pointing to the thick white label, which I think we are simply seeing the front of in the picture above.

AA should take lessons from its partner AS when it comes to wrapping...
Old Mar 29, 2021, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Five Star, Avis First
Hey..hey! My mom's food was homemade and delicious! Don't you be talking about my mom like that....
teemuflyer likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by panjabi
Hey..hey! My mom's food was homemade and delicious! Don't you be talking about my mom like that....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.