Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2021, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Those cups are mostly gone now, except out of EWR.
Right but unfortunately that's where I usually fly them from when B6 goes crazy and thinks I'm going to pay $3k one-way for Mint (don't get me wrong I love Mint, but not worth that much)
Old Aug 16, 2021, 3:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by fly747first
For sure. At least AA has had the decency not to resort to serving Dole fruit cups in transcon J like UA has.
Or a dessert (sorbet) in a single serve cup that resembles something that I used to get in intl Y, only those ones tasted better.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 1:47 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
8/14 AA 784 CLT-DFW 0735-0923 A-321:

Choice of a bagel with yogurt and granola or a bagel with smoked salmon. Nice to see it on a tray. Honestly a decent meal for this 2 hour 9 minute flight

8/14 AA 2486 DFW-MCI 1029-1208 737-800: Drinks and pretzels
8/15 AA 1615 MCI-CLT 1829-2150 737-800: Drinks and snack basket. Disappointed it wasn't a cold plate at least. The flight attendant said it was due to lack of catering in MCI but these flights used to get cold plates.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 4:27 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels
I got a full, cold breakfast on OKC-CLT. OKC doesn't have any catering facilities either.

Originally Posted by CMK10

Choice of a bagel with yogurt and granola or a bagel with smoked salmon. Nice to see it on a tray. Honestly a decent meal for this 2 hour 9 minute flight

8/15 AA 1615 MCI-CLT 1829-2150 737-800: Drinks and snack basket. Disappointed it wasn't a cold plate at least. The flight attendant said it was due to lack of catering in MCI but these flights used to get cold plates.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 4:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
IMO, it looks a lot better when it's presented on a tray. Just need to add some glassware and tablecloths now.

-FlyerBeek
Old Aug 16, 2021, 5:21 pm
Formerly known as billinaz

Programs: US Airways Dividend Miles, American AAdvantage, Avis Preferred, Budget Rapid Rez, Hilton Honors
PHX-MCO 9AM departure
No PDB, FA very attentive... and apologetic. She wasnt thrilled serving the meals but its all she could do.

Sliced turkey roll on a ice cold bun with sun dried tomato and cream cheese spread and a slice of some kind of cheese.

MCO-PHX 8:51 departure.

No PDB drink, the FA stood up exactly once from the jump seat during the flight. To serve the "meal". He sat there playing on his phone the entire flight.

A lady boarded and loudly announced to everyone in First.... "My son has a peanut allergy, nobody can have any peanuts anywhere near him"

This was described as Salmon and a Bagel. Weirdest bagel Ive ever seen. The salmon was shredded and looked more like tuna.

A smarter thing would have been to grab a bagel and cream cheese from the club.

Last edited by SpaceCoastBill; Aug 18, 2021 at 7:13 pm
Old Aug 16, 2021, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by CMK10

If they actually plated the smoked salmon plate it would be pretty acceptable for even pre-pandemic and I wouldn't mind being served that at all. I'm just sick of the plastic waste; everyone and their mother knows surface transmission of covid is not a thing.
corky, wrp96 and SeatOfMyPants like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by ORDflyer92
If they actually plated the smoked salmon plate it would be pretty acceptable for even pre-pandemic and I wouldn't mind being served that at all. I'm just sick of the plastic waste; everyone and their mother knows surface transmission of covid is not a thing.
I don't know guys, that just looks like something they stole from a cheap supermarket and just dumped it on a tray... sAAd
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:24 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
I'm just sick of the plastic waste; everyone and their mother knows surface transmission of covid is not a thing.
Just like how BOB and alcohol in Y being the source of airline incidents is not a thing, yet here we are.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 8:50 pm

I'm just sick of the plastic waste; everyone and their mother knows surface transmission of covid is not a thing.
I find all the single serving everything we are going through now hilarious. The whole environmental concern went sideways in a heartbeat. Bougie self-interest, stepping all over Bougie self-interest.
enviroian, wrp96 and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 16, 2021, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DataPlumber
I find all the single serving everything we are going through now hilarious. The whole environmental concern went sideways in a heartbeat. Bougie self-interest, stepping all over Bougie self-interest.
100%

It's hilarious how quickly the general sentiment can be switched like a lightbulb with the right marketing...
Old Aug 17, 2021, 6:13 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by SpaceCoastBill

A smarter thing would have been to grab a bagel and cream cheese from the club.
I never keep bagels at home, so it's always a treat when I'm transiting in the AM. Plus you can toast it!

Originally Posted by cmd320
100%

It's hilarious how quickly the general sentiment can be switched like a lightbulb with the right marketing...
The most intelligent statement I've heard in a while.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 3:06 pm

Looks like the mask mandate will be extended to January. I wonder if Doug will give in and start selling alcohol onboard before that? I believe he said he will wait until September as that is when the current mask mandate ends.

I'll put the reminder about keeping Politics about the extension in OMNI/PR so a mod doesn't have to
Old Aug 17, 2021, 3:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lowfareair
Looks like the mask mandate will be extended to January. I wonder if Doug will give in and start selling alcohol onboard before that? I believe he said he will wait until September as that is when the current mask mandate ends.

I'll put the reminder about keeping Politics about the extension in OMNI/PR so a mod doesn't have to
He better or I'm hopping down on the next DFW flight to give him a piece of my mind.
GrumpyYoungMan and keyw like this.
Old Aug 17, 2021, 3:25 pm

Programs: $9 Fare Club
Originally Posted by lowfareair

Ah yes, we haven't served hooch in Y since March 2020 due to all those fights in Y being caused by <checks notes> drunken passengers.

I think the bigger problem is sending people to ANC or HNL with a coke and a packet of pretzels to sustain them for a 6hr+ flight, every society is only 3 meals from anarchy etc etc.

Maybe they could rebrand it as the AADietPlan or some such - MileSAAvers and WaistSAAvers, a 2 for 1 deal.
corky, enviroian, wrp96 and 2 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.