Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
SLC-DFW

Plastic bags of small water bottle, biscoff and wipe handed out upon boarding. No other pre-departure beverage.

Flight delayed because a young child with mental disabilities refused to keep his mask on. The pilot allowed the family to stay onboard and he screamed throughout the flight.

Once in the air, well after the seatbelt sign had been turned off, service eventually began. Only a snack box was offered on this AM flight and was unceremoniously plopped down on my armrest. It consisted of wheat thins, raisins, gouda cheese spread (which I thought was actually very good), Milano dark chocolate cookies, and almonds. Drink of choice followed. Is it just me or does no flight attendant seem to be aware of the Truly Hard Seltzer? The flight attendant remarked to ring the call button if we wanted a refill as "we're not supposed to be up."

Not AA's best flight service wise, but at least it was a 737 with TV's so was comfortable and I won't have an Oasis backache.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
SLC-DFW

Plastic bags of small water bottle, biscoff and wipe handed out upon boarding. No other pre-departure beverage.

Flight delayed because a young child with mental disabilities refused to keep his mask on. The pilot allowed the family to stay onboard and he screamed throughout the flight.

Once in the air, well after the seatbelt sign had been turned off, service eventually began. Only a snack box was offered on this AM flight and was unceremoniously plopped down on my armrest. It consisted of wheat thins, raisins, gouda cheese spread (which I thought was actually very good), Milano dark chocolate cookies, and almonds. Drink of choice followed. Is it just me or does no flight attendant seem to be aware of the Truly Hard Seltzer? The flight attendant remarked to ring the call button if we wanted a refill as "we're not supposed to be up."

Not AA's best flight service wise, but at least it was a 737 with TV's so was comfortable and I won't have an Oasis backache.
I'm wondering if this was a case of miscatering. SLC DFW is over 900 miles and should have gotten a choice of fruit/cheese plate or sandwich.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Not sure. The plane overnighted in SLC, so maybe it was double-catered from DFW? SLC used to have real meals prior to COVID (not the shelf stable stuff that non-catered stations received), so not sure if it was a miscater or AA terminated their catering contract at SLC.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by fly747first
I'm wondering if this was a case of miscatering. SLC DFW is over 900 miles and should have gotten a choice of fruit/cheese plate or sandwich.
Since SLC is an outstation with no catering morning meals will be the snack box. Happened to me a couple weeks ago flying out of GEG. Not exactly " the breakfast of champions."
fly747first likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
LAX MIA, F 77W #1782 (midnight departure)

Can confirm that dinner is still served.

The menu listed 4 warm options but most didn't match their respective description so the cabin crew actually explained the real entree options to the confused passengers.
No more real dessert: we just got two small raspberry crumble squares and not cheesecake.

My colleague had the "thai chicken" and he said it was ok; I had the beef and didn't like it at all.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Business Class Meals on the 77W from DFW to HNL

Will be taking this in a few days. What is the meal/beverage service like these days?

Should I buy something in the terminal before departure instead?
Old Nov 9, 2020, 9:31 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
Will be taking this in a few days. What is the meal/beverage service like these days?

Should I buy something in the terminal before departure instead?
You will be well-fed and served adult beverages on the aircraft. Enjoy your flight and dream of your upcoming Hawaiian experience. You'll have the Island to yourself.....surreal for this time of year.

Aloha.
Spanish likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2020, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
There was just a post on the food thread last week for a similar route. Meal looked pretty good to me.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32789789-post1436.html
Old Nov 10, 2020, 4:54 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
LAX-MIA 77W 9:00am

Here’s the meal options for yesterday’s flight from LAX - MIA

Orders were taken front to back

My choice of Omellete was not available

so got the American Breakfast.

drink carts were rolled out and proactively refilled.

sorry for the quality of my pics.

KL808
AANYC1981, robertablake and DC9 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 7:05 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
AA102 HNL-DFW on the 77W. Good meal and inflight service. Unfortunately, absolutely no blankets/pillows were provisioned for the flight. Not sure if this was a one-off or standard for the ex-HNL flights.

-FlyerBeek

Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
This was the menu for the earlier MIA-LAX 77W flight departing around 3:30pm. Despite the departure time, this flight still offers a dinner service. Menus have been updated to reflect 'Flagship First' on the front of them, though the content remains unchanged for the most part:

Service started with a pack of pistachios and a first round of drinks.

Following this I went with the pasta option:

I wasn't personally a big fan of the starter as I don't like goat cheese. Pasta was alright, but also nothing to write home about. Overall a very standard domestic F-ish type meal. Doesn't resemble much of a Flagship product these days.

The purser was very good though and proactively apologized for having to pour in plastic. She stated she didn't really know what the point of that was given glass dishes and metal cutlery are being used. After the meal service she was very proactive in offering drink refills and passing out snacks. She gave me a few packs of Lorissa's jerky and parm crisps for the road too which was great. Overall, a good flight, bit it's time to get the meals back to how they should be for this product.
SkyTeam777 and DC9 like this.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
The no pillow/blanket issue sounds horrible.

They have them ex-DFW, so unless they can't do laundary in HNL there's no reason why it doesn't come back. That's ridicious
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:32 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
It’s weird the DFW-Hawaii-DFW flights get the mains in those plates but the premium transcons are still stuck with the casserole dishes.

That pasta above looks exactly the same as the one regular domestic First used to get on LGA-ORD etc lol.
Old Nov 10, 2020, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Unfortunately, absolutely no blankets/pillows were provisioned for the flight
Wow.

Old Nov 10, 2020, 11:14 am

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
AA102 HNL-DFW on the 77W. Good meal and inflight service. Unfortunately, absolutely no blankets/pillows were provisioned for the flight. Not sure if this was a one-off or standard for the ex-HNL flights.

-FlyerBeek
Yikes, I'll be on the same flight tomorrow, I'll report back on the blanket and pillow. That would be um.... disappointing, to say the least, to fail to provision bedding on a redeye!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.