Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2020, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
Nothing Just flew BOS-ORD (just under 900 miles but an exception route) and no meals, but very attentive beverage service.
Under the new catering scheme, there are no more exceptions under 900 miles, unfortunately. Just flew DFW ORD and there was nothing other than drinks in F.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Originally Posted by HiAperture
So I realize I am probably a day early, but hopefully with the re-opening of Hawaii tourism tomorrow it won't take long to get an answer. I know DFW-HNL is getting a reasonably "normal" level of service in F, but how about the narrowbody service out of PHX-HNL? From my reading of the website I would assume they are getting meals and even bedding, however on a sample booking for next month it just says "refreshments," same as any other narrowbody domestic First flight lately. AA isn't really sending a plane to Hawaii for 7 hours with just a cheese plate are they?
So I still haven’t seen any first hand accounts of the narrow body service to HNL since the islands opened. The AA Twitter team tells me the flight from PHX will indeed just get the pre-packaged meal choices, that is how the flight is noted on AA.com also but the meals page seems to indicate all flights to Hawaii are meal routes not just the 77W from DFW, so who knows. I have an early morning flight in to PHX and short connection there, so I’ll need to try and get a lunch in quickly or pack some food if one snack item is all we are getting.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
So I still haven’t seen any first hand accounts of the narrow body service to HNL since the islands opened. The AA Twitter team tells me the flight from PHX will indeed just get the pre-packaged meal choices, that is how the flight is noted on AA.com also but the meals page seems to indicate all flights to Hawaii are meal routes not just the 77W from DFW, so who knows. I have an early morning flight in to PHX and short connection there, so I’ll need to try and get a lunch in quickly or pack some food if one snack item is all we are getting.
PHX-HNL on an A321 with no real service sounds like a long and miserable flight.
fly747first and HiAperture like this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by cmd320
PHX-HNL on an A321 with no real service sounds like a long and miserable flight.
At least these birds are nicer than the archaic 757s the old HP would operate to Hawaii; those 757s were truly falling apart
355F1 likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 3:05 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
No kidding, there is no way for me to
take DFW on the outbound without an extra overnight. Looking forward to Flagship First seats on the return though!
Old Oct 30, 2020, 3:11 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Just flew PHX-REDMOND, OR for 2.5hrs on a CR7 and we didn’t even get offered beverages in FC.

I flew PHX-Portland last month on a 737 and got a sandwich in FC.

I thought I would at least get one of those!
Old Oct 30, 2020, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No kidding, there is no way for me to
take DFW on the outbound without an extra overnight. Looking forward to Flagship First seats on the return though!
Just note that because of the design of the F cabin, light from the forward galley can disturb you and AA doesn't provide amenity kits on flights from/to Hawaii so on overnight flights, I would bring eyeshades just in case
HiAperture likes this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by Stripe
DFW-TPA is ~929 miles. Should have been catered with at least one of those things. I wonder if it was and the FA was just too lazy to check.
Turns out the flight attendant who answered the question of the F flying passenger was working the back. Sandwich and cheese plate were
indeed served by an excellent flight attendant . Service was taken back to front again...this is the third time in a row this happened. Flying north, west and south. Ugh.
cmd320 and robertablake like this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 4:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by 355F1
Just flew PHX-REDMOND, OR for 2.5hrs on a CR7 and we didn’t even get offered beverages in FC.

I flew PHX-Portland last month on a 737 and got a sandwich in FC.

I thought I would at least get one of those!
Eagle flights seem to be a crap shot when it comes to F service. I don't think there's any food for Eagles flights, even those over 900 miles.
chrisny2, cmd320 and 355F1 like this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by NickRivas
It’s crazy that J and F are getting the same food even on long haul international
was gonna book that but it’s just not worth it...F lounge/dining closed and the same food as J? Heck, on the 77W some would even argue the J seat is better and more private

only advantage of F is a bit more private but if you’re in the J mini cabin it’s basically the same

lame
I agree with your general sentiment. I like the rotating seat in F, though. Someone recently posted asking if it was worth 12K miles for F now. For me, it probably would be, but I don't put much of a value on my miles.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by fly747first
Just note that because of the design of the F cabin, light from the forward galley can disturb you and AA doesn't provide amenity kits on flights from/to Hawaii so on overnight flights, I would bring eyeshades just in case
thanks, I had seats in the mini J cabin but I have flown in J on the AA 77W and other cirrus seats, I haven’t flown in 77W F with AA so this is as good a chance as any, even though I hear they aren’t that great for sleeping.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 6:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by ikwia
I agree with your general sentiment. I like the rotating seat in F, though. Someone recently posted asking if it was worth 12K miles for F now. For me, it probably would be, but I don't put much of a value on my miles.
Flying in F on the 77W next week. J was being offered at 26k, F was 32.5k. Booked F because, why would I not at that pricing?

Still, pretty sad they can't differentiate the service any better than they are.
chrisny2, HiAperture and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Oct 30, 2020, 9:09 pm

Anyway back on the topic, here is LAX-JFK F on the A321T

Packaged Pistachios

Flagship First menu

Meal tray, Beef Short Rib
enviroian, cmd320, 355F1 and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 31, 2020, 1:17 am

Originally Posted by fly747first
Under the new catering scheme, there are no more exceptions under 900 miles, unfortunately. Just flew DFW ORD and there was nothing other than drinks in F.
Strange, I flew ORD-DEN-ORD today and both flights had food. And that’s only 885 miles if I recall. 🤔
Old Oct 31, 2020, 10:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Recent travels:

10/11 BIS-DFW CRJ-700: Beverages on request only and the snack bag. Pretty disappointing for a long flight

10/11 DFW-RDU A-319: Fruit and cheese plate or the sandwich.

10/12 RDU-CLT-ATL A-319/A-320: Proactively offered Full drinks to F passengers

10/14 CHS-PHL-RDU CRJ-900/A-319: Proactively offered Full drinks to F passengers

10/17 RDU-CLT-DCA A-321/A-321: No service first flight, proactively offered drinks to F passengers

10/23 RDU-PHL A-319: No service at all. Annoying as this flight was delayed

10/24 PHL-DFW A-321: Proactive drinks and refills and fruit and cheese or sandwich

So what's the lesson from my October AA travels? it's still inconsistent but it seems to be trending a little more towards better service in F.
ISTFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.