Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2020, 5:52 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
Another fantastic transcon in F, LAX-JFK.

Boarded towards end, with premium services rep greeting us by name at gate, and thanked for our loyalty. Gate agents diligently enforced mask compliance.

Cabin was empty except for us until T-24; ultimately cabin was half full.

We were warmly greeted by the purser, who was fantastic. Open bar PDBs offered, with chilled water bottles, menus, bedding, and headphones waiting at our seats.

Post takeoff drinks were served by tray, with choice of snack from snack basket.

Wine selection appears to have been downgraded, looks more like business class selection.

Single tray service as per current offerings; we both chose the James Beard inspired pasta, which was delicious, and seems like a reliable option all around.

Drinks refills were proactively offered throughout the flight. Snack basket remained at front, and pre-packaged cookies were offered before arrival, followed by mints. Final round of beverages offered before landing, and permitted to hold cups until deplaning.

Well done AA!
Old Aug 8, 2020, 5:58 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
When AA gets it right they’re amazing ❤️
Old Aug 8, 2020, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
When AA gets it right they’re amazing ❤️
Super valid. When AA gets it right it can be fantastic. But when they get it wrong it’s usually disastrous.
ExpatExp and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 10:01 am

Programs: AA-EXP, Flying Blue-Silver
Champagne on the JFK-LAX/SFO routes is gone!?! A HUGE loss to the product.
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PremiumSeat
Champagne on the JFK-LAX/SFO routes is gone!?! A HUGE loss to the product.
That is a bit concerning for premium transcon F.
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
So on my CLT -GRR flight on the 175 I specifically chose 1A as it's arguably the best seat on the plane. The flight attendant jumped into gear after the 10K chime and came to me first. "Hello sir can I get you a water or soda?" she gleefully asked. I said "I'll take a Heineken please". She was somewhat taken off guard but swiftly brought me my beer, and two more before we landed. No call button needed.

I wonder if management tells their cabin crew to default asking for non alcoholic drinks as the passenger might think that's all that allowed as a cost saving measure? Either way the flight attendant was very professional and prompt. I forgot what regional operates this flight. Mesa?
Old Aug 9, 2020, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by enviroian
I wonder if management tells their cabin crew to default asking for non alcoholic drinks as the passenger might think that's all that allowed as a cost saving measure? Either way the flight attendant was very professional and prompt. I forgot what regional operates this flight. Mesa?
Sort of like the opposite of an up-sell at a restaurant. Sir, are you really sure you should be having that cheesecake tonight?
Old Aug 9, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Aa 4383 cle-ord

Flew today on an E-175LR in F and here were my key takeaways

- No Pre Departure beverage offered
- First went out 5 out of 12 ( upgraded cleared easily )
- No problem asking for a Hard Seltzer and receiving it
- Relaxed credit card pitch 😆
​​​​​​- FA’s announced they would be checking for mask compliance twice in the flight

Feel free to check out the video if you like

Crazyboutflying and AANYC1981 like this.

Last edited by Brandinho1; Aug 9, 2020 at 8:48 pm
Old Aug 10, 2020, 8:49 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA 3M Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Friday ORD- AUS: 9:55AM- No PDB Offered- No In Flight Drinks offered but not one of the 8 in F asked for ANYTHING...including myself. Cheese and Grape pack #1 for meal

Sunday AUS-ORD: 2:55PM: No PDB- Handed out Cheese and Grape pack #2 and asked for Wine and no issues getting. FA then zipped herself in Galley side area so I politely pulled curtain aside and asked for a refill. All passengers at all airports fully masked.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 9:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by GBBob
FA then zipped herself in Galley side area so I politely pulled curtain aside and asked for a refill. All passengers at all airports fully masked.
I have no problem with them closing the curtain to eat or take a break, but if their job is safety (and service) how can they offer either if they are locked in the galley the whole time. The safety aspect is not only pertinent to takeoff/landing/emergencies. What if someone were choking or a device charging caught fire? FAs should be visible if their job is "primarily for safety." Although, yes, personal breaks to eat, etc are totally fair, but it's just a pet peeve when they never check on the cabin after the first service except to sell you a credit card.
cmd320 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: BA, United
Originally Posted by britNY
Flew down from LGA to AUA via MIA. Seems others observations were spot on with service being all over the place. On the first leg the FA offered drinks several times and the now ubiquitous cheese box. Not bad considering. On the second leg the FA handed out the boxes as we were being pushed back (we had to tuck them under our arms) and offered no drinks at all after take off (I could see from 1B where I was seated that she had set up her iPad in the galley and didn’t want to be disturbed). I soon changed that and ordered some red wine (non-descript variety).

Going back via CLT which is a longer first leg. Hope the service is better on a 4 hour plus flight!
second leg is shorter at 1.5 hours to JFK. Wonder what we can expect on that!

So, on the return trip to From AUA TO JFK via CLT; on the first leg the cheese plate handed out but no drink offered in first, not even water outside of the tiny bottle we got handed on boarding. This is a nearly 4 hour flight. Even worse on the second leg, nothing, not a peep from the FAs who just sat reading their phones.

Now, this is not to say that you cannot ask for a drink but really you should not have to ASK in first. This is Barely disguised cost cutting and a cheap move from AA and I will reconsider booking in their Domestic First class again in the future, simply not worth the price, especially with no lounge access and empty middle seats providing the extra room you need if in coach.

Has anyone actually informed them that the virus cannot be transmitted via food and drink if served correctly?

If anything more enthusiastic about promoting their credit card than just about anything else.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 9:56 am

Programs: AA EXP; United 1K, Delta, IHG Plat Amb, PE, Marriott/Hilton Gold
Anyone else wonder if the "service only on request" is a transition to standard future service with fewer FA? AA has already made it known that there will be fewer FA in future. One way that could easily be managed is make all service on request only. From flying over the last couple of weeks, I think many people don't bother requesting. Maybe the expectation is that if drinks, etc aren't offered, most people won't request it?
Old Aug 10, 2020, 10:05 am

Originally Posted by aj411
Anyone else wonder if the "service only on request" is a transition to standard future service with fewer FA? AA has already made it known that there will be fewer FA in future. One way that could easily be managed is make all service on request only. From flying over the last couple of weeks, I think many people don't bother requesting. Maybe the expectation is that if drinks, etc aren't offered, most people won't request it?
They describe it as temporary but certainly would be a clever move. probably only 3 or 4 people ordered a drink on each flight and you got the feeling that refills wouldn’t be forthcoming unless requested, and who wants to keep pushing the button.

Nice seat but coach level service.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 10:13 am
CLT

Programs: AA EXP (Former US CP)
Domestic flights (sans A321T JFK flights) are already at their minimum staffing levels and have been for years pre-COVID.

-A319/A320: 3 FAs
-B738/A321S/A321B/A321NX: 4 FAs

Usually one FA works F while the others work Y, but this isn't always the case. Sometimes I have seen a Y FA assist the F cabin when F receives a full meal service, on shorter flights without meal service that FA may work a second drink cart and meet the other 2 Y FAs in the middle.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by CLT
Domestic flights (sans A321T JFK flights) are already at their minimum staffing levels and have been for years pre-COVID.

-A319/A320: 3 FAs
-B738/A321S/A321B/A321NX: 4 FAs

Usually one FA works F while the others work Y, but this isn't always the case. Sometimes I have seen a Y FA assist the F cabin when F receives a full meal service, on shorter flights without meal service that FA may work a second drink cart and meet the other 2 Y FAs in the middle.
and with all of them now just watching their phones or iPads for the duration of the flight they can probably reduce that still further.
ExpatExp likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.