Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2020, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
We are entering a new normal for service and it might not be just AA. Off hand no more meal service in F other than transcons (possibly a cheese and fruit plate on flights 3-4.5 hours), plastic wear in F (doesn't bother me), no PDB beverage in F, for flights less than 4.5 hours beverages in F only on demand (with possibly a smile or lot's of attitude). In Y no more beverage service on flights less than 4.5 hours, no BOB, no alcohol sales, no complimentary alcoholic drinks for MCE paxs.

Now the cc pitches those aren't going anywhere.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So glad to read this as it was my understanding that the Republic FAs are the most likely to run to the back of the 175 after takeoff and stay put until landing. No inflight service despite being against published protocols. Ive had great experience with Envoy FAs on the 175...inflight drinks with a smile, but worried about an upcoming Republic trip. Let's hope this is the norm!
When I resumed travel to TPA, the non-stop was Republic this is exactly what happened. I inquired to my friend who is an FA there and he showed me an internal directive that there is no service on any Republic flight no matter the cabin. The lack of consistency is so silly for something so simple.
CLT and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 2:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by grapkoski
When I resumed travel to TPA, the non-stop was Republic this is exactly what happened. I inquired to my friend who is an FA there and he showed me an internal directive that there is no service on any Republic flight no matter the cabin. The lack of consistency is so silly for something so simple.
Thats interesting.....I just flew on a Republic E175 DL Shuttle and had the DL snack bag passed out to me and others inflight in C+
Old Aug 10, 2020, 3:55 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Last weekend's flights. In a word, disappointing.

8/8 AA 4407 RDU-PHL EMB-175: No service either cabin
8/8 AA 4613 PHL-DCA EMB-175: No service either cabin
8/8 AA 4295 DCA-EYW EMB-175: No liquor aboard. F got one drink then the FA hid in the back of the plane for the rest of the nearly 3 hour flight. No service at all in Y. Despite being over 1,000 miles no snack box or any food whatsoever.
8/9 AA 4289 EYW-CLT EMB-175: F got full drink service with liquor and refills but no food. Nothing at all in Y.
8/9 AA 1645 CLT-RDU A-319: F got large bottles of water on the ground. Better than nothing I guess.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by CMK10
Last weekend's flights. In a word, disappointing.

8/8 AA 4407 RDU-PHL EMB-175: No service either cabin
8/8 AA 4613 PHL-DCA EMB-175: No service either cabin
8/8 AA 4295 DCA-EYW EMB-175: No liquor aboard. F got one drink then the FA hid in the back of the plane for the rest of the nearly 3 hour flight. No service at all in Y. Despite being over 1,000 miles no snack box or any food whatsoever.
8/9 AA 4289 EYW-CLT EMB-175: F got full drink service with liquor and refills but no food. Nothing at all in Y.
8/9 AA 1645 CLT-RDU A-319: F got large bottles of water on the ground. Better than nothing I guess.
Yikes. Not just at AA but at all air carriers currently it seems the only thing consistent is inconsistency.
cmd320 and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by aj411
Anyone else wonder if the "service only on request" is a transition to standard future service with fewer FA? AA has already made it known that there will be fewer FA in future. One way that could easily be managed is make all service on request only. From flying over the last couple of weeks, I think many people don't bother requesting. Maybe the expectation is that if drinks, etc aren't offered, most people won't request it?
All domestic flights, except premium transcons, are already staffed at FAA minimum requirements. So only international wide body flights and premium transcons will be loosing FAs. I do think that service on request will be around for the next year, but standard drink service at a minimum will return eventually.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 8:40 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Thats interesting.....I just flew on a Republic E175 DL Shuttle and had the DL snack bag passed out to me and others inflight in C+
I was on a couple of Republic E175 United flights (CLT-ORD-DCA) and the flight attendants did full beverage service in F and non-alcoholic beverages in Y. Seems maybe it's just AA that doesn't care what Republic does with regard to inflight service.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA EP
I remember UAs deli buffet in Y on lax jfk. As soon as the movie was over people would line up and go through the gallows to make sandwiches. this was in their 747 service.

Originally Posted by Herb687
Those UA transcons were even better in F. You don't have to go too far back to find UA's "Deli Buffet" in F as the second service on morning transcons. In my lifetime, the UA Deli Buffet was an actual buffet. Even on narrowbodies (DC-8). This is not ancient history.
Old Aug 10, 2020, 10:42 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
MCI to CLT this week had fab crew. I wasn't drinking on a 2pm flight, but the guy next to me had 2 vodka sodas and she brought 2 minis and a can with the first round and 3 minis with a can on the 2nd round. Reminds me of the glory days of east coast flying on US Airways.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 4:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Sadly AA lacks leadership and focus. The F cabin is catered with full beverages and ice. I don't understand this maybe you don't get a drink, or if you ask you get a drink, of you get a beverage without asking. These are in most cases your top customers in what surely what will become a very competitive world could be poached away by other carriers. What if DL status matched EXPs and provided a year free SC membership? Carriers are going to be desperate to re-capture higher spend flyers.

At no time after the FAs hand out beverages do they touch the contents. The risk of "transmission" must be something like .000001%. Leaving service standards up to individual FAs is a terrible idea.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MiamiAirport Formerly NY George
Sadly AA lacks leadership and focus. The F cabin is catered with full beverages and ice. I don't understand this maybe you don't get a drink, or if you ask you get a drink, of you get a beverage without asking. These are in most cases your top customers in what surely what will become a very competitive world could be poached away by other carriers. What if DL status matched EXPs and provided a year free SC membership? Carriers are going to be desperate to re-capture higher spend flyers.

At no time after the FAs hand out beverages do they touch the contents. The risk of "transmission" must be something like .000001%. Leaving service standards up to individual FAs is a terrible idea.
I do believe that you are correct. when this pandemic is in the rearview mirror, free market competition will kick in and we'll head back in the other direction. as for the current range of Service Levels, or lack thereof onboard... I lay that at the feet of the FA's Association / Union! that's my .02 RT
CLT likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
The CC pitch thing drives me INSANE. It's a pandemic so we cant provide you food or drink but we can provide you a paper application. Also were here for your safety. OK.
enviroian, AAway, CLT and 4 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 8:34 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Has anyone tried requesting a beverage while the CC applications are being waved in your face down the aisle? That would be a hilarious and embarrassing predicament for the FA.....you want to hand a paper application to literally EVERYONE on the plane but are hesitant to bring me a Diet Coke?
enviroian, roadtriper, CLT and 2 others like this.
Old Aug 11, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, 1MM, Bonsai Plat-Pro, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Has anyone tried requesting a beverage while the CC applications are being waved in your face down the aisle? That would be a hilarious and embarrassing predicament for the FA.....you want to hand a paper application to literally EVERYONE on the plane but are hesitant to bring me a Diet Coke?
I wonder if they are still willing to collect them if you fill it out onboard?
Old Aug 11, 2020, 11:01 am

Programs: AA PLT 2.7 MM, DL GLD, UA Prem, BW Diamond, PC PLT, HH Diamond
Have you ever been on a plane where nearly everyone fills out a CC application?
I have not.
But, I have been on a plane where nearly everyone partakes of the food and beverage service for which you do not have to wear a mask.
You are simplifying the situation to the point of absurdity then calling them to task for it.

FACE FACTS:
1) very few people ask for a CC application
2) Even is they do they keep their mask on.
3) If food and drink is offered most will partake and take off their mask to do so.

No comparison. Your argument is specious at best and absurd at the least.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.