Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2020, 1:06 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, MLife/Cosmo Identity Gold, Other Vegas too...
Is the sandwich plain? I have a "First Class" R-Coded (aka business?) 6 pm GSP to CLT to LAX flight today... probably no time (nor do I own the necessary Amex) for the Centurion Lounge... otherwise looks like I am eating cheese during the course of 8 hours tomorrow unless GSP actually has a restaurant open. Are people bringing their own hot food now and then just buying a beverage from a vending machine after security?
Old Nov 28, 2020, 4:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by Carolina2Cali
Is the sandwich plain? ... Are people bringing their own hot food now and then just buying a beverage from a vending machine after security?
1. Not sure what you mean by plain (it's not just meat and bread if that's what you mean). The turkey sandwich has deli turkey, arugula, a slice of havarti cheese, and a thin layer of some sort of herbed spread on a marbled rye. Out of DCA and TPA, I've found that these sandwiches are cut vertically in half, but elsewhere they are left whole. There is a packet of Hellman's mayo and a chocolate chip cookie alongside. The chicken sandwich is a small chicken breast with a Mediterranean slaw of some sort, but I haven't seen it in a while now.

2. I have seen very little hot food consumed in flight, but there is nothing stopping you from that. The Chick-Fil-A line is always long but it always moves quick.

Last edited by platbrownguy; Nov 28, 2020 at 12:25 pm Reason: modified italicized language after eating my 9th such sandwich in as many days :/
Old Nov 28, 2020, 5:12 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Miami to GRU last Monday. I ordered the steak
chrisny2, AAway and Brandinho1 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 4:37 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by platbrownguy
1. Not sure what you mean by plain (it's not just meat and bread if that's what you mean). The turkey sandwich has deli turkey, arugula, a slice of havarti cheese, and a thin layer of some sort of herbed spread on a marbled rye. Out of DCA and TPA, I've found that these sandwiches are cut vertically in half, but elsewhere they are left whole. There is a packet of Hellman's mayo and a chocolate chip cookie alongside. The chicken sandwich is a small chicken breast with a Mediterranean slaw of some sort, but I haven't seen it in a while now.
Do both sandwiches come with a cookie now?

I haven't had the turkey sandwich for a while, but when I last did it came with a mini chocolate bar instead.

The chicken sandwich that I have received more recently came with a cookie.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by econ
Do both sandwiches come with a cookie now?

I haven't had the turkey sandwich for a while, but when I last did it came with a mini chocolate bar instead.

The chicken sandwich that I have received more recently came with a cookie.

yes a chocolate chip cookie.
econ likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by enviroian
yes a chocolate chip cookie.
But it isn't that tasty and sometimes the cookie is pretty hard
Old Nov 28, 2020, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by fly747first
But it isn't that tasty and sometimes the cookie is pretty hard
I just received my 10th turkey sandwich in the last 10 days (and second today... thanks, DCA-DFW-SAN). All 10 have had cookies and all 10 cookies have appeared to be reasonably soft. I've only eaten 3 or 4, and I've given most of the others away, but I just massaged the most recent one with my thumbs to test its softness. It's soft.

I am still a little miffed at the sandwich-cutting. 5 sandwiches out of DCA and TPA have been cut in half vertically. The rest have been left whole. What gives?
AAway likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 6:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I just received my 10th turkey sandwich in the last 10 days (and second today... thanks, DCA-DFW-SAN). All 10 have had cookies and all 10 cookies have appeared to be reasonably soft. I've only eaten 3 or 4, and I've given most of the others away, but I just massaged the most recent one with my thumbs to test its softness. It's soft.

I am still a little miffed at the sandwich-cutting. 5 sandwiches out of DCA and TPA have been cut in half vertically. The rest have been left whole. What gives?
Almost all of mine out of MIA have been served whole so I guess AA doesn't really enforce cutting standards and this isn't surprising since AA can't even be consistent with the Casper duvets
platbrownguy likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 6:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
In F, I find the A319s quite comfy
Originally Posted by cmd320
Which row do you normally choose? The one nearly in the galley or the one nearly in the Y cabin? 😂
Originally Posted by Spanish
At lest they have a real bulkhead, I'd take 2A or 2F on this bird before many other domestic F options...
Usually row 2--away from the galley and a bit better storage space thanks to seat pockets and Y pax don't bother me most of the time... I gave up on electric inflight fences years ago LOL
If I can't get one of the LAA 738s or A321s with AVOD, then the A319 is now my favorite AA F cabin. Generally better service with the FA having to cover only 8 seats. These days I also choose 2A or 2F as the "safest" and most comfortable.

LOL, but easy question, galley if you value having a choice between sandwich and cheese plate
Totally true. I was in 2F on a DTW-DFW flight yesterday and the FA presented a sandwich and a cheese plate on a tray. I very much wanted the cheese plate but 2D grabbed it. It was the last one. The sandwich (unsliced) turned out to be not so bad as I simply discarded the processed turkey slices and had a nice cheese sandwich. Chocolate chip cookie was OK but boring. Would kill for an oatmeal raisin. I miss the warm nuts and snickerdoodles.
platbrownguy and DC9 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
The only sandwich that I've received that was cut in half was the Chicken Sandwich out of SEA.

None of the other sandwiches that I've gotten recently (from SFO & DFW mostly) have been cut.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, UA-PS, SkyMiles, Marriott - Lifetime Titanium
Transcon Meal in F, MIA to LAX

MIA - LAX AA 1235 on 11/13
chrisny2, cmd320 and DC9 like this.
Old Nov 28, 2020, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by POSHtravelier
MIA - LAX AA 1235 on 11/13
Wow, you got an actual nice fresh roll, that’s new!
jcatman likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 12:51 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt

Menu - surf and turf was out, though I didn’t want it anyway.

Meal

22/Nov - AA5 DFWHNL

Really looks the same as all long haul meals exDFW. This must be the best catering domestically among the big 3 at the moment!

Crew was super nice. Wine out of real bottle too plus pre mixed mai tai as shown.
AAway, AANYC1981 and DC9 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 3:23 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by Stripe
Would kill for an oatmeal raisin. I miss the warm nuts and snickerdoodles.

Chocolate is ok and all, but I would take a mediocre oatmeal raisin to the world's best chocolate chip.
Old Nov 29, 2020, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by GrumpyYoungMan

Chocolate is ok and all, but I would take a mediocre oatmeal raisin to the world's best chocolate chip.
Aah, taste, one of the most subjective things in the world .
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.