Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2020, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by enviroian
Please report on nuts.
Should be a bag of pistachios based on recent experience.
enviroian likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
I'll have lots to report on. Centurion Lounge, 77W flight experience, health/safety meaures at LAX, etc.
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
I'll have lots to report on. Centurion Lounge, 77W flight experience, health/safety meaures at LAX, etc.
You’re going at the right time of day for the Centurion Lounge. I’m not sure if you’re on AA1235 or AA2287 but both times should be pretty quiet at the Centurion Lounge. Enjoy!
Old Dec 7, 2020, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite Plus,BAEC GGL,ITA Executive, AFKL Gold,QR Gold,HH Diamond,Bonvoy Gold,ALL Gold
I'll soon share a detailed trip report of 5 different Admirals Club, 5 different AA flights in the premium cabin, and much more soon.
I don't want to give a teaser at the moment but it could take time for me to prepare those trip reports. Edit: All flights taken in Dec 2020.
Old Dec 8, 2020, 8:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
AA 2289 MIA-LAX utilized the same menu as posted here (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32856320-post290.html). I had the chicken parm which was pretty good but needed to be warmer. The polenta was good but felt so fluffy that it felt more like an egg custard than polenta. They served dinner about 35 minutes after departure. The choclolate tart was absurdly rich. The tomato strata was very good. The dinner roll - sad.

On the nuts front, we got packaged pistachios in J. No PDB and no hot nuts. The self-serve snack baskets in the galley have been stocked full.

Boy - if you haven't experienced domestic three class J, this might be your week. We're lucky to have 20 in J class this evening and they were offering upgrades for sale to the general population at the gate.

Visited the AC at DCA which had 7 peope in it when I was there; also visited the Centurion Lounge at MIA (my first visit to a Centurion). Probably 20 people in the lounge between 5:00 and 6:30 pm. 1/2 of the tables blocked off and menu items provided by two servers from the buffet. Grilled chicken thighs with winter vegetables was mighty tasty. Minestrone soup. Arugula salad and tres leches cake with a banana sauce. Had one borboun old-fashioned and one Grand Marneir prior to flight.

Last edited by IADCAflyer; Dec 8, 2020 at 8:28 pm
Old Dec 8, 2020, 9:37 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
AA 2289 MIA-LAX utilized the same menu as posted here (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32856320-post290.html). I had the chicken parm which was pretty good but needed to be warmer. The polenta was good but felt so fluffy that it felt more like an egg custard than polenta. They served dinner about 35 minutes after departure. The choclolate tart was absurdly rich. The tomato strata was very good. The dinner roll - sad.

On the nuts front, we got packaged pistachios in J. No PDB and no hot nuts. The self-serve snack baskets in the galley have been stocked full.

Boy - if you haven't experienced domestic three class J, this might be your week. We're lucky to have 20 in J class this evening and they were offering upgrades for sale to the general population at the gate.

Visited the AC at DCA which had 7 peope in it when I was there; also visited the Centurion Lounge at MIA (my first visit to a Centurion). Probably 20 people in the lounge between 5:00 and 6:30 pm. 1/2 of the tables blocked off and menu items provided by two servers from the buffet. Grilled chicken thighs with winter vegetables was mighty tasty. Minestrone soup. Arugula salad and tres leches cake with a banana sauce. Had one borboun old-fashioned and one Grand Marneir prior to flight.
Living large. Love it.
cmd320 and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

MCO-MIA at ~6am, nothing proactively offered nor requested. Weather was terrible for the majority of the flight with a decent bit of chop so no real service was expected, especially given the time and flight length. With that said, it would be nice if AA did water bottles in F before departure and also if they would make a pass to collect trash. It's somewhat unreasonable for them to be handing out sanitizing wipes at boarding and never coming around to collect them.

MIA-CLT at ~1030am (772 service), nothing proactively offered, call bell was answered immediately (SQ/EK/QR speed) and my request of a Tito's with Cranberry was happily accommodated by the friendly cabin crew member. I don't necessarily have a problem with this system, but it would be nice to know in advance what kind of service will take place. If I knew it was going to be on request I would have requested my drink earlier rather than waiting around for them to start a beverage service on their own.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by cmd320
also if they would make a pass to collect trash. It's somewhat unreasonable for them to be handing out sanitizing wipes at boarding and never coming around to collect them.
I've found this odd as well. UA also hands out wipes at boarding, but IME their FAs make a pass through the cabin to collect any trash prior to take-off.
wrp96 and cmd320 like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:16 pm

DFW-SFO in J: water/biscoff bag during boarding, amazing service by the FAs. Orders for drinks taken during taxi out, prompt drink service with doubles in the air, took time to explain the sandwich ingredients and cheese plate components in detail to each guest. Got up to use the restroom and proactively offered another drink while passing by the galley. Frequent passes through the cabin to collect trash.

SFO-JFK in F: extremely pleased to see some excellent wine offerings return, including Deutz champagne, and a nice selection across the board. A definite upgrade over the offerings a few months ago. Will report back on meal service after the flight
dpb132, wrp96, cmd320 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 9, 2020, 10:53 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by standbyalldtime
DFW-SFO in J: water/biscoff bag during boarding, amazing service by the FAs. Orders for drinks taken during taxi out, prompt drink service with doubles in the air, took time to explain the sandwich ingredients and cheese plate components in detail to each guest. Got up to use the restroom and proactively offered another drink while passing by the galley. Frequent passes through the cabin to collect trash.

SFO-JFK in F: extremely pleased to see some excellent wine offerings return, including Deutz champagne, and a nice selection across the board. A definite upgrade over the offerings a few months ago. Will report back on meal service after the flight
Besides the Champagne, did you try any of the other selections on the wine menu for the SFO-JFK segment, and which of those did you enjoy?
Old Dec 10, 2020, 3:44 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
DFW-SFO in J:

Interesting. Champagne in J on a 3 class transcon. That must be a new development as in the past the bubbles served in J were a Prosecco, or the like, while champagne was reserved for F. Different story on LH Int'l J, of course.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by teemuflyer
Interesting. Champagne in J on a 3 class transcon. That must be a new development as in the past the bubbles served in J were a Prosecco, or the like, while champagne was reserved for F. Different story on LH Int'l J, of course.
I was in F, but I believe it's still the same offering in J as well, didn't verify.

All of the wines are in the $20-30 price point, which is more typical of F than J by AA standards anyways.

They weren't catered the rose. The Deutz was nice, as was the Luca PN. I quite like the Luca label, had some Malbecs from them and find it to have a distinct, dusty character.

I ordered the chicken which was tasty. Vegetables nice and all dente, the beet appetizer was quite decent as well with the bread.

Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
I was in F, but I believe it's still the same offering in J as well, didn't verify.

All of the wines are in the $20-30 price point, which is more typical of F than J by AA standards anyways.

They weren't catered the rose. The Deutz was nice, as was the Luca PN. I quite like the Luca label, had some Malbecs from them and find it to have a distinct, dusty character.

I ordered the chicken which was tasty. Vegetables nice and all dente, the beet appetizer was quite decent as well with the bread.

Sounds like you had great service & a proper meal and wine selection. Wouldn't it be nice if they could do dinner (and lunch!) like this on regular 2-class domestic F?

At this point, I'd be booking away from Spirit's "Big Front Seat" and into American domestic F much more often.

Glad you had a good flight!
Old Dec 10, 2020, 6:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Spanish
Sounds like you had great service & a proper meal and wine selection. Wouldn't it be nice if they could do dinner (and lunch!) like this on regular 2-class domestic F?

At this point, I'd be booking away from Spirit's "Big Front Seat" and into American domestic F much more often.

Glad you had a good flight!
the Spirit BFS is better than anything Delta is offering
enviroian, cmd320 and ISTFlyer like this.
Old Dec 10, 2020, 7:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA Plat, NK $9 fare club
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
the Spirit BFS is better than anything Delta is offering
I've not been on Delta for 2+ years, but I believe it. Tough to get a better value than "BFS" domestically...
AANYC1981 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.