Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 26, 2020, 9:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UAPremierGuy
As of 9/21:

Flights under 900 miles
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only
  • No snacks, alcohol or food available in the Main Cabin
  • Alcohol available in First by request only
Flights between 900 and 2,199 miles / up to 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • No snacks, alcohol or food for purchase
  • Water, canned drinks and juice by request only

In First:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.*
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and bottled water during boarding*
  • Drinks, including alcohol, by request only
  • No drinks served before departure
*Not available on American Eagle flights.

Flights over 2,200 miles* / over 4.5 hours

In the Main Cabin – includes Premium Economy and Main Cabin Extra

• Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • No snacks or food for purchase
  • No alcohol or meals except on long-haul international flights

In First and Business:

• Complimentary fresh snacks on flights departing between 5 a.m. and 9 p.m.
  • Complimentary pretzels or Biscoff cookies and water, canned drinks or juice during the flight
  • Meals served on one tray, not in courses**
  • No drinks served before departure
  • Alcohol will be available
*Includes transcontinental and Hawaii.

**Some domestic and short-haul international flights will include a fruit and cheese plate instead of tray meal service and will also have snack basket service before landing.

cmd320 notation (unofficial): the 2,200mi + section for F and J is a bit misleading. Domestic flights within the continental US other than premium transcons (JFK-LAX/SFO, MIA-LAX on 77W) do not receive a full meal and instead only see a sandwich/fruit and cheese plate.

fly747first notation (official) MIA LAX on 772 receives full meal and amenities as Flagship Business except for lounge access

Print Wikipost

Coronavirus Reduced Inflight Food and Beverage Restrictions as of 03/2020 and changes

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2020, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by seigex
I’ve seen people make the mistake of hitting the call button on AA flights last year just to have an FA come on the PA to ask if it was an emergency (if so ring it again) otherwise call buttons are for emergency situations only.
if a flight attendant asked me if it was an emergency I would say absolutely I need a cold beer please.
PUCCI GALORE, RJ1, jdawg and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 4:55 pm

JAC-ORD - same repeated announcements about no F&B. I asked for a glass of wine and while it was given, the FA wouldn’t even look at me or say “you are welcome” when I thanked him. His body language told me he was not happy to be taken away from his iPad.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 5:06 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by Lovethecabin
JAC-ORD - same repeated announcements about no F&B. I asked for a glass of wine and while it was given, the FA wouldn’t even look at me or say “you are welcome” when I thanked him. His body language told me he was not happy to be taken away from his iPad.
…..then I hope you asked for a second round.
jdawg, hurnik, brewdog11 and 4 others like this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jcatman
…..then I hope you asked for a second round.
Seconded. I would be drinking more than I had planned to if I were given that attitude.
brewdog11 and wrp96 like this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 5:18 pm

Programs: AA,UA,AS
SFO-DFW (First) no PDB as the FA was busy giving out the snack bags. Prompt service once in the air for drinks. No Cheese plate, didn’t ask about it as I wasn’t interested in it. After the first round of drinks FA went back to the jump seat but happily responded to call buttons.

Young PHL based crew FWIW
jcatman likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 5:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
DFW-BZN everyone got snack bags, no PDB, passed out cheese plate boxes to F before taxi started, then never saw them again.
Old Jul 16, 2020, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
Seconded. I would be drinking more than I had planned to if I were given that attitude.
yes I did! I wasn’t driving so I figured why not? After I asked for the first glass, he went into the galley and pulled the curtain. (I was in the first row). Later when I used the restroom, I knocked on the wall until he peeked out. Again, no acknowledgment and no response to my thank you when he handed me the wine.

ORD - MDT on American Eagle? A world of difference! The FA came by and whispered “I can’t do PDB but will take care of you all when we get in the air” and she did.

For what it’s worth, the two FAs that were pleasant and willing to serve were 55+ years old.

I don’t need a glass of wine on a flight but when I am paying first class prices and beverage service is part of the price, I don’t want to be blocked because someone wants to play on their iPad instead of working.
ceebee100, wrp96 and cmd320 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 8:21 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
So this stinks. I have a 5:21AM departure.. so 4:51 board time. In F, but there will be no food service on this ~3 hour flight.
Nothing is open in the airport prior to 5AM, especially on a Sunday, and the two places that open at 5AM 1) may not be open due to adjusted hours, and 2) are just coffee shops mostly, no real food.

So, no food options until I get to MIA.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 8:32 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by bchandler02
So this stinks. I have a 5:21AM departure.. so 4:51 board time. In F, but there will be no food service on this ~3 hour flight.
Nothing is open in the airport prior to 5AM, especially on a Sunday, and the two places that open at 5AM 1) may not be open due to adjusted hours, and 2) are just coffee shops mostly, no real food.

So, no food options until I get to MIA.
Will you not get a fruit and cheese box as per the new standards?

Welcome to the "new normal." There are lots of cases like this and it is pathetic that in this era of renewed and increased travel there is no meal service on AA for these flights. MANY of the airports that I have in recently have nothing in the way of substantive meal service and the few places that are open have had LONG lines.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 8:49 am
formerly plenTpak

Programs: AA
Yesterday the Republic crew out of DCA-IND did amazing....but they usually are anyway. Speaker'ed to the plane, "beverages were not going to be served, but, BUT, if there is anything you want or need, we will get it for you." Said the same thing up front twice. I think we got a "thank your business" four or five times between FA, GA, and pilots.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy

Welcome to the "new normal." There are lots of cases like this and it is pathetic that in this era of renewed and increased travel there is no meal service on AA for these flights. MANY of the airports that I have in recently have nothing in the way of substantive meal service and the few places that are open have had LONG lines.
Flew out of EWR month or two ago and there was nothing open in the terminal AA uses.

Mother flew out of SFO (new terminal) and nothing was open for a 10am departure. I flew out on a 1pm departure day later and there was a coffee/scone shop open.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy

It's a 1200 mile flight. Per the AA site, nope. Nothing.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...#foodanddrinks
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
Originally Posted by seigex
DFW-BZN everyone got snack bags, no PDB, passed out cheese plate boxes to F before taxi started, then never saw them again.
Should have used the call button. It says explicitly in the service standards that drinks, including alcohol, are on offer to First pax.
jcatman and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by brewdog11
Should have used the call button. It says explicitly in the service standards that drinks, including alcohol, are on offer to First pax.
Or just do the bathroom trick....as
long as it’s mainline usually the FC FA stays in the FC jumpseat/galley area so it’s easy to ask.
Old Jul 17, 2020, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bchandler02
It's a 1200 mile flight. Per the AA site, nope. Nothing.
https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...#foodanddrinks
1200 (anything over 900) should get the cheese/fruit plate, just not a full meal. This just started.
bchandler02 and wrp96 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.