Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2019, 6:47 pm

Originally Posted by anthem
good luck. I'm on that in a couple weeks. would love to know if you got it at the gate.
Hopefully I’ll have better luck on the return than I did on the outbound. About three weeks out, it was J7. Then all of a sudden, J filled up within the last week. I think only 1 or 2 people cleared that upgrade
Old Oct 25, 2019, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
MAD-JFK cleared at booking and there are still like 10+ seats open close to departure
Outstanding!
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 12:34 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Louiskie
HI. I have no experience with this situation and was curious what the deal is (I'm an EXP). I booked a flight from RDU-DFW-SLC and return that leaves in something like 80 hours. I missed the 100 hr upgrade window (looks like lots of business seats available). Are my odds of being upgraded reduced a lot because I missed that window? I assume all the other EXPs have been upgraded. Would I be "next" when the 72hr PP window hits or does it not work like that? I called AA and they said there would be multiple additional sweeps but I wanted to see if anyone had first hand experience. Thanks!
In my experience, once you are within the window associated with your status (in your case 100 hrs), upgrades can clear any time - it’s not like you have to wait for the 72 hr PPRO window. All you might lose is the availability from other EXPs who were below you in EQD spend but already cleared before you booked.

Last year I booked a flight about 36 hrs out and it was upgraded almost immediately.
Old Oct 26, 2019, 8:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hbtr
In my experience, once you are within the window associated with your status (in your case 100 hrs), upgrades can clear any time - it’s not like you have to wait for the 72 hr PPRO window. All you might lose is the availability from other EXPs who were below you in EQD spend but already cleared before you booked.

Last year I booked a flight about 36 hrs out and it was upgraded almost immediately.
Thx. I'll see what happens. Nothing has cleared yet but it is also a busy route so we'll see.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:58 am

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Gold, US Airways silver
Phx => tpa (aa 531)

Upgraded @ T = 5' 49" No seat selected, so I chose one of the two that were unassigned. Also, meal selected for me (Italian Ribbon Pasta with tomato ragu sauce), which is interesting since they usually say a meal cannot be selected within 24 hours of departure.
Old Oct 27, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold
First upgrade in 10 months (a Tuesday night ORD-BOS in 12/2018)...

AA1151 PHL-DFW tomorrow (10/28) night...

PLT, 8,000ish rolling EQDs.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Louiskie
Thx. I'll see what happens. Nothing has cleared yet but it is also a busy route so we'll see.
Two legs cleared overnight. One at T-27 and one 4 hrs later for the return. It seems somewhat random in terms of the timing but I'll take it. 2.5 hrs in first is better than 2.5 in coach. Do that 4X in one day and it pays off being EXP (I qualified by 328 miles last year - hahaha).
luv2swim likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by BOSishome
First upgrade in 10 months (a Tuesday night ORD-BOS in 12/2018)...

AA1151 PHL-DFW tomorrow (10/28) night...

PLT, 8,000ish rolling EQDs.
Enjoy!
Old Oct 29, 2019, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
JFK-LAX upgrade Y to J cleared at T-100 for 2 people (1 comp as EXP, 500 mile stickers for my partner). Nice surprise.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
LAX-HKG Upgrade Y->J (SWU) cleared 8 days in advance. Got EF notification alert, checked EF and saw that there was 1 C space available. Grabbed phone to called EXP and also logged into AA.com as well. But before dialing, I noted I had already been upgraded and just needed to select a seat. Wow!! Wasn't expecting the upgrade to be this far in advance, but I'll take it.

Let's see if the return is also upgraded at same time point. The HKG-LAX leg has even fewer seats occupied on the seat map. 18 more seat available in J for LAX-HKG.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Have an upcoming business trip where I will fly from AUS to LHR. I am 0 for 2 using my SWUs so this is probably my last chance for an international redemption before they expire in January.

Any tips for most likely flights I'd be able to use them on? I need to be in UK Tues-Thurs at a minimum but can add on a day or two on either end as needed. Is there more likely to be availability on certain days or through certain airports? I could fly through DFW, MIA, PHL, CLT.... prices all seem comparable at the moment.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 9:35 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
EWR-ORD-EWR both cleared at the EXP window. My experiment of choosing Newark over LGA seems to be working thus far. EWR-ORD had like 11-12 people on the airport upgrade list too with only one person clearing.

EWR was super easy.....no one in line for PreCheck and the AC there while dated, is pretty large for the station is supports.....bigger than those tiny PHX clubs I think.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:04 am

AA 2548 PHL-DFW on 11/9 is showing C3 on EF but EXP isn't auto-upgrading. Sup with that?
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:12 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by thelark
AA 2548 PHL-DFW on 11/9 is showing C3 on EF but EXP isn't auto-upgrading. Sup with that?
Aside from the reported delay from when the inventory becomes available and the upgrader dameon runs, you might be looking at a "blocking" C inventory issue (i.e. you can't clear the entire way) in which case you can DSR the segments that don't have ability to get the ones that do.

Last edited by enpremiere; Nov 6, 2019 at 11:59 am Reason: Clarification
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Aside from the reported delay from when the inventory becomes available and the upgrader dameon runs, you might be looking at a married "C" inventory issue.
It was showing C3 >24h ago...

Pardon my ignorance, but what's married C?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.