Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2019, 8:43 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
I'd like your guesses as to odds here. On AA194 PHX-LHR on 12/8. I am in for a mileage only upgrade W->J. Exp flyer shows J7 and seat map shows 10 empty in J.

What do you think my odds as a lowly Gold?

Seems decent to me at this point, but who knows?
Old Dec 5, 2019, 11:18 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite, AS MVP Gold 75K
I'm flying DFW-BUF on AA3370 on 12/8. There are 7 unassigned F seats, but only 1 for sale (D fare class) and Y is not available. Am I correct in thinking that the upgrade is hung up due to the flight being overbooked in Y? I am PPro with ~$11k rolling EQD. I do not have access to EF. Thanks!
Old Dec 6, 2019, 3:23 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
I continue to have amazing UPG success out of EWR instead of LGA....UPGs even clearing before the 100 window and def not a CK.
thunderdeacon likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by MikeShores
I'm flying DFW-BUF on AA3370 on 12/8. There are 7 unassigned F seats, but only 1 for sale (D fare class) and Y is not available. Am I correct in thinking that the upgrade is hung up due to the flight being overbooked in Y? I am PPro with ~$11k rolling EQD. I do not have access to EF. Thanks!
Looks like a definite oversold Y situation, which offers great upgrade odds, however it won't get sorted till the day of departure.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Looks like a definite oversold Y situation, which offers great upgrade odds, however it won't get sorted till the day of departure.
I never understood the logic of blocking F sales AND holding back upgrades if Y is oversold.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:08 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I continue to have amazing UPG success out of EWR instead of LGA....UPGs even clearing before the 100 window and def not a CK.
IME upgrades to and from EWR have always been easier than LGA and probably even JFK. Not sure it makes up for everything else you need to deal with when using that airport.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Stripe
I never understood the logic of blocking F sales AND holding back upgrades if Y is oversold.
If coach is oversold and AA starts upgrading people days/weeks out, then that frees up more economy space which will go back into inventory and most likely get sold resulting in an even more oversold situation than you had before.

This is why these situations typically don't get sorted until the day of departure, when a human can process upgrades and move people around accordingly.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
If coach is oversold and AA starts upgrading people days/weeks out, then that frees up more economy space which will go back into inventory and most likely get sold resulting in an even more oversold situation than you had before.

This is why these situations typically don't get sorted until the day of departure, when a human can process upgrades and move people around accordingly.
They could still upgrade folks but not increase the Y inventory. Just like if someone cancels, inventory doesn't automatically go up by 1. Sounds like they just don't want to figure out the programming to make it work.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 10:20 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
IME upgrades to and from EWR have always been easier than LGA and probably even JFK. Not sure it makes up for everything else you need to deal with when using that airport.
EWR actually is easy especially with the LGA construction issues and traffic. I’m usually going against the traffic trends though....Monday morning out of the city when everyone is coming in etc....for a 6am flight you can be there in 20-25 mins from SoHo.
brc757rr and flyingeph12 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

They could still upgrade folks but not increase the Y inventory. Just like if someone cancels, inventory doesn't automatically go up by 1. Sounds like they just don't want to figure out the programming to make it work.
Agree. We can file this under another occurrence of "the end result will not bring AA any additional revenue, so AA is not going to spend money/time/manpower to update it"...
Old Dec 6, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by FlyinMike
I'd like your guesses as to odds here. On AA194 PHX-LHR on 12/8. I am in for a mileage only upgrade W->J. Exp flyer shows J7 and seat map shows 10 empty in J.

What do you think my odds as a lowly Gold?

Seems decent to me at this point, but who knows?
I tend to also take a look at the MCE seats and see how many are taken. Those will be your main competition for upgrades. If those are all full, then I would be prepared to sit in Y. The downside to this approach is that you never know how many folks in PE are also on the upgrade list.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA
AA281 Upgrade Chances

I am flying out on AA281 on 12/12/19 on Premium Economy, requested to upgrade to economy, but within last week, J went down from J11 to J4, W7 and Y5, with seat map showing 5 open Business seats. What's my chances of getting upgraded?

Or if I can cancel my W seat on 12/12, paying 250 cancellation fee, and rebook flight on 12/13 economy which now showing J7 with 11 open seat on seat map, but then I need to pay 350 copay to upgrade, and of course earn less miles for flying economy. Should I do this to get a better chance of upgrade?
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
EWR actually is easy especially with the LGA construction issues and traffic. I’m usually going against the traffic trends though....Monday morning out of the city when everyone is coming in etc....for a 6am flight you can be there in 20-25 mins from SoHo.
Agreed. From the west side of Manhattan, EWR is actually probably the easiest of the three NYC airports to deal with in my opinion. EWR flights are certainly much easier to upgrade than LGA or JFK flights. Now, whenever I fly AA out of NYC, I appreciate the usually lower fares out of EWR, and I am particularly fond of the admirals club at EWR for some reason, even though I would get Flagship Lounge access if flying out of JFK.
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by wodeaiai0000
I am flying out on AA281 on 12/12/19 on Premium Economy, requested to upgrade to economy, but within last week, J went down from J11 to J4, W7 and Y5, with seat map showing 5 open Business seats. What's my chances of getting upgraded?

Or if I can cancel my W seat on 12/12, paying 250 cancellation fee, and rebook flight on 12/13 economy which now showing J7 with 11 open seat on seat map, but then I need to pay 350 copay to upgrade, and of course earn less miles for flying economy. Should I do this to get a better chance of upgrade?
What is your AA status, if any? That is important info.

Based on the info available I don't think it makes sense to switch. Y is very full on the 13th, so you if you do not get the upgrade you will have paid a lot of money for a much less comfortable experience.
Old Dec 8, 2019, 3:41 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
I tend to also take a look at the MCE seats and see how many are taken. Those will be your main competition for upgrades. If those are all full, then I would be prepared to sit in Y. The downside to this approach is that you never know how many folks in PE are also on the upgrade list.
Scored the upgrade around t-32. Will be enjoying the flat bed as opposed to the PE seat on this leg!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.