Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
I'm not the only one who took the greater EQD requirement to heart! Probably at about $21k rolling EQD right now (though am missing about $500 that I'm waiting for Advantage customer service to fix) and still end up being the first loser more often than this time last year (when I had a lower EQD). This is DCA-MIA/DCA-PBI and vv on Mon/Thurs. F cabins seem fuller too at the window.

I definitely am surviving in aisle MCE seats and don't need the extra calories from the meals, but it's that "oh so close" feeling that gets to me from time to time. Though I'm still probably overall around a 75% success rate this year.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 12:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Agreed. From the west side of Manhattan, EWR is actually probably the easiest of the three NYC airports to deal with in my opinion. EWR flights are certainly much easier to upgrade than LGA or JFK flights. Now, whenever I fly AA out of NYC, I appreciate the usually lower fares out of EWR, and I am particularly fond of the admirals club at EWR for some reason, even though I would get Flagship Lounge access if flying out of JFK.
Also adding I’m usually the only person in line for Pre-Check at EWR including this morning....curb to AC is less than 3 mins.
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
I can’t even get an upgrade to TULSA lol
Attached Images  
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:51 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Any thoughts on this one?

PPRO traveling with PLT fiancée from CUN-PHL-DCA. Cleared the second segment at T-72 but not the first at the same window or today at the PLT window. It has been J6 and C6 since yesterday and I know that 500 mile upgrades do not clear from C space, but still seems odd that we haven’t cleared with all of the award space open and it’s a 333.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 7:28 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
12/09 DFW to LGW AA 1608
Upgrade list was 70, yes 70.. I have never seen it that long
Old Dec 11, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Recent domestic flights:

DEN-ORD, 738, Monday afternoon - cleared at 100 hours (connecting there to an overnight TATL which I did not deem worthy of burning a SWU on)

-----

DCA-ORD, 738, Wednesday noon - cleared at 100 hours
ORD-DEN, 738, Wednesday afternoon - cleared at ~36 hours

Slightly under $22K EQD
Old Dec 12, 2019, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by MLTR
Hello, I'm EP and bought a non-stop flight from LAX to PVG on Dec 26th. I just requested SWU. What is the chance of getting upgraded on this route around Christmas? Anyone with experiences? Thanks.
Quick update: SWU cleared today on this flight. Currently, the website shows 4 available seats in business class. I'm pleasantly surprised because I was cleared on a flight from DFW to PVG an hour before departure last summer.
aztimm and fotographer like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 2:36 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by enviroian
I can’t even get an upgrade to TULSA lol

YYZ to DFW and I'm 4/53. On a 738. Usually with numbers that large it's a wide body. I guess my clue should have been the fact that all MCE seats were sold out 3 weeks in advance.
Old Dec 15, 2019, 7:55 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz
Have a flight tomorrow night from LAX to HKG- Requested Copay Mileage upgrade approx 3 months ago when purchased. Lowly Plat Pro now.. A week ago was J40 tonight with just about 24 hours left only J6, still no upgrade- Oh well, at least I have row 20 haha.. This is my 1st year w/o ExPlat status, and 1st time im actually missing it. I doubt I will get upgrade- will report either way..

**Update cleared day of on my LAX to HKG flight- my return flight did not clear. Was #10 on the list
Old Dec 16, 2019, 3:34 pm

Historical flight schedule

Can someone direct me to the appropriate thread:

I'm looking to book a 5am PHL-ORD assuming it'll be cancelled and I'll be able to move to a later flight but I'd like to see what summer 2019's schedule was. Is historical flight data available or can anyone check for me: PHL-ORD Friday in July and the return on a Sunday?

Thank you!
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
How are flights on December 26 usually?

I am on JFK-CDG, still waitlisted with a SWU, ~$22K rolling, with flight showing J7R7D6. Only 9 days out, and looks like they've opened up C space on a couple of the LHR flights, so here's hoping.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by DMPHL
How are flights on December 26 usually?

I am on JFK-CDG, still waitlisted with a SWU, ~$22K rolling, with flight showing J7R7D6. Only 9 days out, and looks like they've opened up C space on a couple of the LHR flights, so here's hoping.
The week around Xmas and New Years is typically a goldmine for upgrade space, shouldn't have any problem at all. Normal paid business travel is non-existent.
DMPHL likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:44 pm

JFK-LAX transcon, J sold out, EF shows 2 available in F and it's 10 after boarding time.
None of the plenty folks on the upgrade list cleared. They can't all possibly be for Y to J upgrades??
If it's used for non-rev, shouldn't the F space be 0?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by matt85
They can't all possibly be for Y to J upgrades??
Why not? There's typically an abundance of A space, so anyone looking for a J --> F upgrade would have already cleared.
matt85 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by aacar
Why not? There's typically an abundance of A space, so anyone looking for a J --> F upgrade would have already cleared.
That's interesting - I would've thought that's a similar rarity like C in this route. This would all be such less of a painful game if AA would just split their list by cabin. Can't be that hard ;-)
GrumpyYoungMan and aacar like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.