Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2019, 2:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by scubadu
So basically your request would to structure the system in a way that most benefits your particular use case, do I have that about right?

Regards
Pretty sure that structure would benefit all elites, not just me...whoops wrong reply
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by bse118
Huh? No you don't - not in the slightest.

I can tell you that in five years of being an EXP, I have used SDC precisely one time, nor do I buy last minute tickets (all my tickets are advanced purchase discount fares) so that is not about my particular use case.

One or two empty seats near departure gives far more possible utility and options to the airline and it's customers than filling those seats in advance with upgrades does. That's my opinion.
Even more importantly these kinds of changes would not change the number of upgrades available in the system at all. If AA keep 2 seats to T-30 and someone does SDC onto that flight with an F ticket, then the seat that they had had reserved on a later flight is now available for someone to upgrade into.

In fact, nothing AA does in terms of how they prioritize upgrades, or when they give them out, has any real effect on the number of upgrades out there. Of course, it may affect your individual chance of an upgrade on a specific flight, and different mechanisms could increase or decrease your stress levels, but that isn't about the number of upgrades available.

My suspicion is that AA does keep 1-2 seats till T-30 in certain circumstances and doesn't in others, and I assume that this would be based on the long-term historical data they have about loads and the probability of people changing flights.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Sorry said 4 earlier, now it says 2. On a euro amedeus site for booking.
Old Oct 16, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bse118
One or two empty seats near departure gives far more possible utility and options to the airline and it's customers than filling those seats in advance with upgrades does. That's my opinion.
Well my friend, that is certainly your opinion, which you are entitled to.

I suspect that many who are not clearing upgrades as it is would prefer to clear ahead of time where possible.

Regards
Old Oct 16, 2019, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
NYC based.
I’ve found LGA-ORD-LGA has become a much more difficult UPG. Even the days/times where I used to clear at 100 hours before don’t happen at all.

Not the biggest deal as MCE is totally fine for such a short flight.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 10:34 am
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
I’ve found LGA-ORD-LGA has become a much more difficult UPG. Even the days/times where I used to clear at 100 hours before don’t happen at all.
And on an October Friday at that-- very very tough, there are CKs that aren't clearing or even coming that close.

For tomorrow for example, J0 on the most of the morning flights.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JonNYC
And on an October Friday at that-- very very tough, there are CKs that aren't clearing or even coming that close.

Several flights were J6 or 7 before T+24, then everyone must have cleared. In particular I almost swapped to a flight that was J7 5 hours ago and is still J2. Debating if it's worth giving up 2 hours of sleep to SDC to that one and have more cushion in case of weather delays.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 11:39 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Several flights were J6 or 7 before T+24, .
That's 100% untrue.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 1:57 pm
Suspended

That's 100% untrue.
No, it's not. I checked EF when I woke up this AM and was considering doing a SDC for tomorrow.
Old Oct 17, 2019, 6:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond for Life
Got my ‘upgrade confirmed’ email today for ORD->CLT next week... T99 hrs, 48 min.
enviroian likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:00 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First

Any idea what’s changed? I’ve noticed AA is pricing FC much more aggressively closer in to departure so if there are last minute bookings FC is only like $50 more than coach.....that’s my hunch but could be more people upfaring after booking too I guess (but not worth it for this flight length).

I’ve started trying out EWR-ORD and that’s been working better for my UPG odds.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Any idea what’s changed? I’ve noticed AA is pricing FC much more aggressively closer in to departure so if there are last minute bookings FC is only like $50 more than coach.....that’s my hunch but could be more people upfaring after booking too I guess (but not worth it for this flight length).
I'd say that's the main thing that's changed (regardless of when done)-- all those morning flights were wide open in Y and J0/J1/J2 with the seats occupied by a healthy % of paying vs. upgrade

Last edited by JonNYC; Oct 18, 2019 at 6:12 am
Old Oct 18, 2019, 6:21 am
Suspended

Well, no chance this AM. Went to J0 yesterday and i’m 3 of 21 on the list. Lowest i’ve been on an UG list in 2019. Exit Row it is.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO
Surprised to see my SWU request for AA46 ORD-LHR for next Friday (10/25) cleared this morning. Did not expect something so soon at all!
GrumpyYoungMan and Beachfun71 like this.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by sunyafei
Surprised to see my SWU request for AA46 ORD-LHR for next Friday (10/25) cleared this morning. Did not expect something so soon at all!
Likely just a sign that the Europe tourist season is dying down for this year, so you're competing with fewer leisure travelers who are paying for J.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.