Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Why would two people on the same PNR be at different spots on the list? I have far more EQDs and and two spots below. I did just make plat this week while my companion made it a few months ago on a status challenge? This is for 2829 PHX-PDX today 10/18/19
Old Oct 18, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA PPro
Just a quick question... How often do international flights that show J0 1 day before actually open up on the next day?
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by tfizzle
Just a quick question... How often do international flights that show J0 1 day before actually open up on the next day?
This is quite possible since it can be J0 because it is oversold further back, and because J passengers may take a different flight on the day. I've scored upgrades (LAX-JFK and LAX-LHR) when the flight has been J0 (and F0) right up to departure. One upgrade happened on board and was clearly someone who didn't show and the other happened just as boarding commenced, but there had been 1 empty seat in J for 48 hours up to that point, and on the second one I was 3rd on the upgrade list, but presumable the two above me were hoping for F.

As to your question 'how often...' that is probably difficult for anyone to answer with much confidence. I suspect its quite common when someone else is the beneficiary and quite rare when you're hoping for the upgrade yourself.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:52 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by fastflyer
Yep, which is why I leave the Admirals Club at T-50 if I haven't cleared. Sometimes the club agent will call the gate, but sometimes they won't. I've even experienced the AC agent speaking with a gate agent who has said, yes I will be clearing upgrades but ONLY for those at the gate. If he's not here, he won't get the upgrade. The AC agents know this is incorrect, but they aren't willing to cross an obstinate gate agent.
Well, it happened again (in my favor in this instance). Had not yet cleared DFW-PBI last night, and was third on the PALL list. Left Admirals Club at T-50 and walked to gate. Boarding started at T-37 (they often start early on the last flights of the evening, I have noticed). Just beforehand, the GA pages me by name. I am given 6-F on the 737 -- numbers 1 and 2 had not responded to her paging (perhaps they were misconnects... who knows). Anyhow, I took my seat gratefully.

After boarding was complete, there was an additional vacancy in 6-B, which was given to number five on the PALL list. Again, no idea why number four was bypassed.
Old Oct 18, 2019, 3:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
I just remembered another relevant episode a few weeks ago. On an MCI-PHL-Florida ticket, I was re-routed via the EXP phone line while at the airport for my first segment to MCI-CLT because of weather in Philly. When this happened, I lost my R seat and went onto the CLT PALL list, at number two. The flight was J2 so it looked good, this was about T-60. I was in the gate area and noticed the display board soon showing 1 and 3 cleared. I approached the GA and asked why I was bypassed. She said, oh, I didn't see you there -- I hadn't refreshed my screen (the GA system doesn't do this in near-real-time?, I thought). She did some typing and number 3 lost his checkmark, and I was given the last seat up front.
tfizzle likes this.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Many
Inside t+24 now for ORD-LGA tomorrow, J2 no movement
Old Oct 20, 2019, 11:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Inside t+24 now for ORD-LGA tomorrow, J2 no movement
If you can fly out of JFK or EWR (the later on the E175 flights). It will help a lot.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
If you can fly out of JFK or EWR (the later on the E175 flights). It will help a lot.
Flying back TO NYC tomorrow, not out of NY. Need to arrive by early afternoon. My flight is J2 and at the moment no other ORD-NYC flight tomorrow has any more than J2 and most are J0, so we'll see.
Old Oct 20, 2019, 10:08 pm

How often do business to first clear Dfw to lhr?

I am traveling on 10/23 on 77W dfw to lhr on aa78. I’m surprised it has yet to clear since there have been 3 seats left for weeks.... I requested SWU over a month ago and have yet to clear with less than 72 hours to go. Anyone else clear early on this route from J to F?
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by Smsgirl
I am traveling on 10/23 on 77W dfw to lhr on aa78. I’m surprised it has yet to clear since there have been 3 seats left for weeks.... I requested SWU over a month ago and have yet to clear with less than 72 hours to go. Anyone else clear early on this route from J to F?
Yes, plenty of people have cleared J to F upgrades on DFW-LHR.

It all depends on how many seats are left. With only 3 left for sale in F, then it's not uncommon at all for AA to hold back this space for upgrades until just before the flight. It will most likely open up around 24-36 hrs before.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 5:58 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Resigned myself to another oddly busy DCA-MIA Monday AM flight in MCE (on an Oasis bird no less) today, though was pleasantly surprised when I boarded with Group 2 and a F boarding pass was waiting for me. 👍

I'd tweet AA again about the sad, sad state of affairs with this configuration if I thought it would do anything, but I know it won't. Cheap is cheap.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AA PLT PRO
Originally Posted by metallo
Likely just a sign that the Europe tourist season is dying down for this year, so you're competing with fewer leisure travelers who are paying for J.
Very likely. Just cleared the return leg as well for AA87 on Oct 31. That's 10 days in advance, a record for me!
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:21 am
Suspended

4/24 on the UG list again, no shot. Drops me to 41% for the year as an EXP with 20k+ spend. Madness.
Old Oct 21, 2019, 9:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
MAD-JFK cleared at booking and there are still like 10+ seats open close to departure
Old Oct 21, 2019, 11:16 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
4/24 on the UG list again, no shot. Drops me to 41% for the year as an EXP with 20k+ spend. Madness.
Still J1 on this delayed flight, the 1:30 to LGA is showing J4. No Exit Row window on the 1:30pm, so not going to risk it for the better upgrade chances since with delays both flights should land LGA around the same time now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.