Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2019, 9:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Slamless
Finally just bought an EF subscription after like 10 free trials haha. My flight is now saying J2 and I still haven't been upgraded so that's kind of a bummer. However, the seat map still looks pretty wide open. Does that happen often?
Especially on international flights, many people who book through foreign carriers or through consolidator travel agents may not be able to easily select their seats, so they don't select their seats, and their seats may stay unselected until close to flight time. So, yes, it is common enough to see the seat map pretty wide open despite the cabin being close to sold out. The seat map only shows those seats that have been selected, it is incapable of showing how mean seats are taken but not yet selected.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
cleared on a saver Y dfw-atl and back Friday/Saturday.

I booked the ticket Wednesday and the upgrade instantly for the return leg Saturday and I was number 1 for 1 seat Friday out.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by cocallaw
The beginning of October I am flying to CLT-MAD, bought the tickets in March and requested a miles+dollars upgrade a few days after. This evening was reviewing my flights since I have a few trips happening next month, and saw I no longer had a seat assigned for CLT-MAD flight. Took a closer look and the flight now shows business class, but my credit card hasn’t been charged or miles deducted from account so not sure what happened. The app and web site still show upgrade “requested” and not confirmed.

Only Platinum, did I somehow get lucky with the upgrade gods, or will the charge/miles go through when I check in for the flight?
The miles will be pulled and your card charged whenever your PNR is fully reticketed in business, which needs to happen at one point or another. I would just call AA, say "it looks like my upgrade may have cleared", and have the agent push it through for reticketing.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Slamless
Hi there!

I'm flying DFW to MAD (AA 36) on Sep 1 and a friend of mine requested a SWU for the flight. Can somebody with an EF subscription please check for J/C availability? How are my chances as someone with no status?

I really appreciate it
Can't sleep on the flight so I thought I'd give an update.

I was 6 out of 7 on the wait list. 1, 2, 4, 5, and 7 all cleared. Bummer! Thank you everyone who replied and helped me out.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:20 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, AA Exec Plat
Had a peculiar situation happen today, and was wonder if anyone knows how this works. Originally booked on JFK-LAX at 8:45. Had J1, and an earlier 6:30 flight had J1 as well. 24 hrs before flight, I same day flight change to the 6:30 and got an instant upgrade (i'm a explat). I thought when there it 1 seat left it goes to the list.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: AA PLT
AA vs. EF

Booked on AA 73 tomorrow. Today EF shows C7, but AA says inventory does not exist. I've called twice and also sent DM to @AmericanAir with no luck clearing the upgrade. Anyone else experienced this?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skyhawkstl
Booked on AA 73 tomorrow. Today EF shows C7, but AA says inventory does not exist. I've called twice and also sent DM to @AmericanAir with no luck clearing the upgrade. Anyone else experienced this?
When using EF are you searching just LAX-SYD or your entire journey/connections? Searching anything but the single segment will sometimes show bogus false positive C space that doesn't really exist. Right now looking at EF, LAX-SYD on 9/3 shows C0.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 9:54 am

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
When using EF are you searching just LAX-SYD or your entire journey/connections? Searching anything but the single segment will sometimes show bogus false positive C space that doesn't really exist. Right now looking at EF, LAX-SYD on 9/3 shows C0.
Thanks. I was searching the full itinerary and now see C0 when searching only AA 73.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Question: I am EXPLAT, booked coach JFK-LAX 09/07 #341 (3-cabin 321). I just received an Expert Flyer notification that a C upgrade is available. Does that mean anything to me at this point, 5 days away from the flight?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 2:24 pm

If I book a discount PE seat from DFW-OGG, and I request to upgrade with stickers, I understand the priority of upgrades (I’m guessing time of request if
never a factor since how often will two members have the same exact rolling dollar spending).

I was also considering requesting a 15,000 mile $175 copay upgrade. The miles upgrades have priority over stickers. When do miles upgrades start opening up and clearing compared to stickers?

Is there anyway to assess my sticker upgrade chances as a platinum as flight time gets closer and then request a miles upgrade if jt doesn’t look like I will get a stickers upgrade? Does anyone know the data on miles and stickers upgrades success rates on dfw-ogg? I am guessing that any lie flat routes that can be upgraded with stickers or less miles/dollars than say a Europe biz class upgrade, will be difficult to get.

Last edited by EQDsSUCK; Sep 2, 2019 at 5:10 pm
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by catcher1
Question: I am EXPLAT, booked coach JFK-LAX 09/07 #341 (3-cabin 321). I just received an Expert Flyer notification that a C upgrade is available. Does that mean anything to me at this point, 5 days away from the flight?
Unless you are waitlisted for a SWU or miles/copay then C space doesn't really mean much. Pretty much standard operating procedure for AA to release C space in the week before a flight if there's still seats in business that they don't think will sell.

Assuming you're just waitlisted for your 100 hr sticker upgrade, then there's 2 ways to look at it. On one hand AA releasing C space is good, as mentioned above this means there's still seats in business that AA doesn't think it will sell. On the other hand if there's any elites waitlisted for SWUs or miles/copays then they will start to clear, thus reducing J inventory for any potential sticker upgrades.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK
I was also considering requesting a 15,000 mile $175 copay upgrade. The miles upgrades have priority over stickers. When do miles upgrades start opening up and clearing compared to stickers?

Is there anyway to assess my sticker upgrade chances as a platinum as flight time gets closer and then request a miles upgrade if jt doesn’t look like I will get a stickers upgrade? Does anyone know the data on miles and stickers upgrades success rates on dfw-ogg? I am guessing that any lie flat routes that can be upgraded with stickers or less miles/dollars than say a Europe biz class upgrade, will be difficult to get.
Upgrade space for miles/copay can appear at any time from now right up to the flight. If you have ExperfFlyer you can search and potentially find options where upgrade space is available now, so you could be immediately confirmed.

As to upgrade chances, similar to pretty much every other AA long haul route this is completely dependent on the day of the week and time of year. Flying midweek will improve your odds tremendously.

And you can monitor the exact inventory on ExpertFlyer, or at aa.com by doing dummy bookings and checking the seatmaps to get a general idea. If your flight starts to fill up you can always call AA to get added to the miles/copay waitlist.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AA EXPlat, 2.4MM; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Unless you are waitlisted for a SWU or miles/copay then C space doesn't really mean much. Pretty much standard operating procedure for AA to release C space in the week before a flight if there's still seats in business that they don't think will sell.

Assuming you're just waitlisted for your 100 hr sticker upgrade, then there's 2 ways to look at it. On one hand AA releasing C space is good, as mentioned above this means there's still seats in business that AA doesn't think it will sell. On the other hand if there's any elites waitlisted for SWUs or miles/copays then they will start to clear, thus reducing J inventory for any potential sticker upgrades.
I wasn't waitlisted for a SWU or miles/copay, but I had 1 SWU expiring in January. So I called the EXP desk, and used the SWU for myself and did a miles/copay for my wife. I didn't want to take a chance on sticker upgrades, given the business lie-flat for a 6-hour flight. BTW, thanks for your always knowledgeable helpful advice on the forum.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA PPRO; Marriott Rewards
I sincerely apologize in advance if this has been answered in the prior 55 pages. . . . .I fly SGF - LHR multiple times a year (connect through DFW, ORD or CLT). I'm an EPlat and have 4 SWU right now. I last flew in May, and got the upgrade but don't think they ever deducted the SWUs (please don't tell).

I'm looking at a trip in early October. I've signed up for an EF seat alert. The way I see it, there are no C seats available right now. Any way to predict whether/when seats will be released? I need to go ahead and book, but don't necessarily want to play upgrade roulette if possible. Should I just keep monitoring EF for openings, or do they even show up? Am I wasting my time?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:50 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by mulakehound
I sincerely apologize in advance if this has been answered in the prior 55 pages. . . . .I fly SGF - LHR multiple times a year (connect through DFW, ORD or CLT). I'm an EPlat and have 4 SWU right now. I last flew in May, and got the upgrade but don't think they ever deducted the SWUs (please don't tell).

I'm looking at a trip in early October. I've signed up for an EF seat alert. The way I see it, there are no C seats available right now. Any way to predict whether/when seats will be released? I need to go ahead and book, but don't necessarily want to play upgrade roulette if possible. Should I just keep monitoring EF for openings, or do they even show up? Am I wasting my time?

Thanks in advance!
C space probably won't be released until a couple of days before the flight. I would book whatever flight is I7, the seat map in J looks relatively open, and few number of MCE/PE seats are taken (which is a rough proxy for elites that might have upgrades waitlisted).
mulakehound likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.