Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 10:49 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
If Premium Economy is oversold, are passengers booked in PE op-upped into business class before economy passengers with SWUs are cleared for upgrades? Just wondering as I have an EZE-LAX flight that is showing W5 but only one open seat on the map (I know, I know). It seems there are a few accounts of overselling on PE with op-ups. I actually have requested the upgrade with miles+copay. Wondering if this somehow helps my chances or is meaningless.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by OskiBear
If Premium Economy is oversold, are passengers booked in PE op-upped into business class before economy passengers with SWUs are cleared for upgrades? Just wondering as I have an EZE-LAX flight that is showing W5 but only one open seat on the map (I know, I know). It seems there are a few accounts of overselling on PE with op-ups. I actually have requested the upgrade with miles+copay. Wondering if this somehow helps my chances or is meaningless.
In that scenario I would think(hope) that AA would roll any oversold PE pax into business before clearing Y>J upgrades. If you are in PE and it looks oversold and you're waitlisted for a SWU, then the oversell definitely helps your SWU chances. You will(should) get upgraded first ahead of any PE>J op-ups or Y>J SWU upgrades.
OskiBear likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 3:55 pm

I am looking to use SWU on flights from LHR to MIA for 2 people I am EP. I would like to be on Flight AA57 on a Monday in November but there are no C showing in EF, there are some available on Tuesday though. What are my chances of getting SWU through on the Monday flight or should I just take the Tuesday guarantee??
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kkpeiffer
I am looking to use SWU on flights from LHR to MIA for 2 people I am EP. I would like to be on Flight AA57 on a Monday in November but there are no C showing in EF, there are some available on Tuesday though. What are my chances of getting SWU through on the Monday flight or should I just take the Tuesday guarantee??
For a Monday in November your chances are definitely pretty good, however for a route like LHR-MIA if you don't find space in advance then it's likely you wont see any space released until around 24-48 hrs before the flight (even with a wide open business cabin, just the way AA works). If it's no big deal to fly on a Tues instead then I'd do that to grab the space.
HofstraJet likes this.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
I’d take the sure thing. You never know what might happen.

Old Aug 20, 2019, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
In that scenario I would think(hope) that AA would roll any oversold PE pax into business before clearing Y>J upgrades. If you are in PE and it looks oversold and you're waitlisted for a SWU, then the oversell definitely helps your SWU chances. You will(should) get upgraded first ahead of any PE>J op-ups or Y>J SWU upgrades.
Huh? What's your basis for this?

PE currently has no priority for SWUs. SWUs should get cleared in order of rolling EQD rank.

In a PE overbook situation, AA can do op-ups W--J. But I hope they aren't clearing SWUs out of policy order. That would be a significant annoyance, to put it mildly.
Uzzar likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 12:38 am

Programs: Alaska Gold 75K, AA EXP, United 1K
Originally Posted by bse118
Huh? What's your basis for this?

PE currently has no priority for SWUs. SWUs should get cleared in order of rolling EQD rank.

In a PE overbook situation, AA can do op-ups W--J. But I hope they aren't clearing SWUs out of policy order. That would be a significant annoyance, to put it mildly.
assuming they process op ups before SWUs it’s actually better as someone hoping for Y-J upgrade for them to pull people in W applying SWUs first vs processing op ups. They are still taking the same numbers of seats in J (they need to accommodate the overbooked W cabin first) but at least by processing SWUs it reduces competition by removing them from the SWU waitlist in case their rolling EQDs were greater than those waiting for Y-J upgrades. If you are hoping that they process Y-J upgrades before dealing with a W overbooking that doesn’t make much sense. Now whether the average gate agent does this consistently is anyone’s guess...
Old Aug 21, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lightbulbs
If you are hoping that they process Y-J upgrades before dealing with a W overbooking that doesn’t make much sense. Now whether the average gate agent does this consistently is anyone’s guess...
To deal with a W oversold AA should, IMO, do these two things 1) Op-ups without pulling SWUs 2) Seek volunteers for downgrade or rebooking.

Processing W-->J SWUs before higher EQD ranking Y-->J SWUs is not policy and should not be done even in an overbooking situation. No, it doesn't help the overbooking. But it does maintain the integrity of the upgrade process and doesn't anger customers who are "skipped" in the upgrade order.

In other words - the AA agents absolutely should deal with the oversold. Breaking the SWU priority process/policy is not the way to do it.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:11 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite for Life, AA Platinum, United Gold
AA #136 LAX to LHR

Hello

My wife and I are traveling over Thanksgiving from STR-LHR-LAS on BA in Premium Economy and return on AA LAS-LAX-LHR-STR in PE (p fare) on 3 December. I am AA platinum and my wife has no status. What are the chances of an upgrade? On the AA upgrade page I see $350 plus miles, and posters speak about getting in the waitlist. Is it that worthwhile?

Thanks in advance!

Michael
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:31 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by mgold9
Hello

My wife and I are traveling over Thanksgiving from STR-LHR-LAS on BA in Premium Economy and return on AA LAS-LAX-LHR-STR in PE (p fare) on 3 December. I am AA platinum and my wife has no status. What are the chances of an upgrade? On the AA upgrade page I see $350 plus miles, and posters speak about getting in the waitlist. Is it that worthwhile?

Thanks in advance!

Michael
Just call the Platinum desk and ask about the flight you want to be upgraded on. If your outgoing is all on BA without any AA ticket or codeshare, I don't think you can request mileage upgrades for those. It's my understanding that you can only upgrade on Oneworld carriers via AA miles if your flights are bought through AA, but operated by those carriers. For example, I can't book directly with BA for a Denver-LHR flight and then use my AA miles to upgrade. I would have to have booked the flight on an AA ticket, through AA as a codeshare (seen online as "Operated by British Airways" when booking), before I could use miles to upgrade. The concern here is that you are on BA ticket stock from LAX-LHR - are you on an AA flight ticket, or BA? Being on AA from LAS to LAX, then BA the rest of the way to STR (both ticket and operated-by) means you won't be doing any upgrading, even if you ask, because your flight legs have to be marketed/sold by AA in order for you to do it. I just experienced this because my corporate travel agent inadvertently booked my DEN-ORD-LHR-TLV legs on AA flights, but BA tickets. I called as an EXP to put in for an upgrade on the ORD-LHR leg to Business, but was told that I couldn't because it was sold by BA. I ended up getting the upgrade free anyway thanks to PE being oversold, and being operated by AA with my EXP status, they apparently decided to bump me, no miles or extra $$ required. :-)

For the return, if on AA, ask them if there are any upgrades currently available. If they say yes, and there are at least 2 - tell them you want to use miles + $350 to upgrade both yourself and your wife, and they will do it on the spot. Note it will be $350 and miles for EACH person on the same itinerary, regardless of their status. So to upgrade you and your wife, you would be required to pay $700 and 50,000 miles.

If no upgrades are available (yet) on the flight(s) you want to use miles to upgrade when you call, they will offer to put you on the "wait list". You'll give them your credit card info, and if you get the upgrade between the time you request it and the flight departing, your card will be charged and the mileage deducted.

I don't know if AA has a prioritization of status for mileage upgrades. I would assume they would prefer taking $350 per seat plus miles from anyone requesting the upgrade over an EXP using a SWU (free system-wide upgrade). Again, this is assuming you are on an AA ticket for the leg you are wanting the upgrade.
mgold9 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:47 am

Upgrades LAX to LHr

Originally Posted by acoburn73
Just call the Platinum desk and ask about the flight you want to be upgraded on. If your outgoing is all on BA without any AA ticket or codeshare, I don't think you can request mileage upgrades for those. It's my understanding that you can only upgrade on Oneworld carriers via AA miles if your flights are bought through AA, but operated by those carriers. For example, I can't book directly with BA for a Denver-LHR flight and then use my AA miles to upgrade. I would have to have booked the flight on an AA ticket, through AA as a codeshare (seen online as "Operated by British Airways" when booking), before I could use miles to upgrade. The concern here is that you are on BA ticket stock from LAX-LHR - are you on an AA flight ticket, or BA? Being on AA from LAS to LAX, then BA the rest of the way to STR (both ticket and operated-by) means you won't be doing any upgrading, even if you ask, because your flight legs have to be marketed/sold by AA in order for you to do it. I just experienced this because my corporate travel agent inadvertently booked my DEN-ORD-LHR-TLV legs on AA flights, but BA tickets. I called as an EXP to put in for an upgrade on the ORD-LHR leg to Business, but was told that I couldn't because it was sold by BA. I ended up getting the upgrade free anyway thanks to PE being oversold, and being operated by AA with my EXP status, they apparently decided to bump me, no miles or extra $$ required. :-)

For the return, if on AA, ask them if there are any upgrades currently available. If they say yes, and there are at least 2 - tell them you want to use miles + $350 to upgrade both yourself and your wife, and they will do it on the spot. Note it will be $350 and miles for EACH person on the same itinerary, regardless of their status. So to upgrade you and your wife, you would be required to pay $700 and 50,000 miles.

If no upgrades are available (yet) on the flight(s) you want to use miles to upgrade when you call, they will offer to put you on the "wait list". You'll give them your credit card info, and if you get the upgrade between the time you request it and the flight departing, your card will be charged and the mileage deducted.

I don't know if AA has a prioritization of status for mileage upgrades. I would assume they would prefer taking $350 per seat plus miles from anyone requesting the upgrade over an EXP using a SWU (free system-wide upgrade). Again, this is assuming you are on an AA ticket for the leg you are wanting the upgrade.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:48 am

Upgrades

its all on AA ticket stock

acoburn73 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire Elite

its all on AA ticket stock

Then you should be OK to request the upgrades you want. If you call and they show availability, and you are ready to pay $350 plus miles for you and your wife (each), then you'll have your upgrades in your hand well before your trip. If nothing is available at the time you call, give them the info (CC, AA #, etc.) and you'll both be put on the wait list.

Again, not sure on probability, but if you want to track availability or be notified when two seats come open for upgrades, check out ExpertFlyer and set up an alert for the flights you want to keep an eye on. You'll get an email as soon as their system identifies seats being designated as an upgrade from the airline (they somehow have a connection directly with many airlines to see this real-time), and then you can quickly call AA to request the upgrade on the phone.
mgold9 likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2019, 1:59 am

Upgrades

Then you should be OK to request the upgrades you want. If you call and they show availability, and you are ready to pay $350 plus miles for you and your wife (each), then you'll have your upgrades in your hand well before your trip. If nothing is available at the time you call, give them the info (CC, AA #, etc.) and you'll both be put on the wait list.

Again, not sure on probability, but if you want to track availability or be notified when two seats come open for upgrades, check out ExpertFlyer and set up an alert for the flights you want to keep an eye on. You'll get an email as soon as their system identifies seats being designated as an upgrade from the airline (they somehow have a connection directly with many airlines to see this real-time), and then you can quickly call AA to request the upgrade on the phone.
Thank you very much!!
Old Aug 25, 2019, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the AA upgrade page I see $350 plus miles, and posters speak about getting in the waitlist. Is it that worthwhile?
Calling AA to get on the waitlist is pretty much the only way you will get upgraded, so yes it's absolutely worthwhile. Dec 3 is a Tuesday, so your chances are great, although upgrade space most likely won't open up till a day or two before the flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.