Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2019, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Chances of Upgrade Request Clearing
NOTE: Be aware of recent (20 May 2017) upgrade priority changes.

"New Upgrade Priority as of 20 May 2017

(Upgrades were prioritized by elite status and then time of request until 20 May 2017)

Elite status
  1. Concierge Key
  2. Executive Platinum
  3. Platinum Pro
  4. Platinum
  5. Gold

Upgrade type
  1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
  2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
  3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)

Then, by
  1. Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months (rolling)
  2. Booking class
  3. Time of request

See Upgrade Priority Changes to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Spend May 20 2017

Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: Chances of Upgrade Clearing and Availability (2019 master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
How is JFK-MIA and the reverse as ExPlat? Assuming it’s generally a very tough upgrade, is there hope on midweek flights during off-peak periods? Thanks.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by joe_miami
How is JFK-MIA and the reverse as ExPlat? Assuming it’s generally a very tough upgrade, is there hope on midweek flights during off-peak periods? Thanks.
Ive had pretty good luck on this route but I only book the widebody planes because of the extra premium seats. Also with AAs atrocious operation there are often a lot of misconnects freeing up gate upgrade seats.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 6:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by AANYC1981

Ive had pretty good luck on this route but I only book the widebody planes because of the extra premium seats. Also with AAs atrocious operation there are often a lot of misconnects freeing up gate upgrade seats.
Talk about good news, bad news. Haha.

Thanks for the info. Not what I was expecting.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
This week's flights:

DEN-ORD, 738, Tuesday morning - cleared at 100 hours [ended up moving day-of to an earlier delayed flight to avoid a potential misconnect, and sat in a exit row aisle, so did not actually fly this one]

ORD-DCA, 738, Tuesday afternoon - cleared at around 10 hours prior to flight

DCA-DFW, A321, Friday afternoon, cleared at 100 hours

DFW-DEN, A321, Friday evening, cleared at 100+ hours (same time as the prior segment)

Probably around 20K rolling EQD at this point.
------
So I'm counting that as 3/3.

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me that upgrades never clear in advance; it's impossible to clear upgrades to/from DFW; upgrades only clear at off-peak times on non-business travel days; that I clear upgrades only because I fly from Denver; or some other nonsense.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 7:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bse118
This week's flights:

DEN-ORD, 738, Tuesday morning - cleared at 100 hours [ended up moving day-of to an earlier delayed flight to avoid a potential misconnect, and sat in a exit row aisle, so did not actually fly this one]

ORD-DCA, 738, Tuesday afternoon - cleared at around 10 hours prior to flight

DCA-DFW, A321, Friday afternoon, cleared at 100 hours

DFW-DEN, A321, Friday evening, cleared at 100+ hours (same time as the prior segment)

Probably around 20K rolling EQD at this point.
------
So I'm counting that as 3/3.

I'm sure someone will be along to tell me that upgrades never clear in advance; it's impossible to clear upgrades to/from DFW; upgrades only clear at off-peak times on non-business travel days; that I clear upgrades only because I fly from Denver; or some other nonsense.
As someone who will be a first-time ExPlat soon but with low EQD, I wonder how much your EQD number is a factor—i.e., are you often beating out other lower-EQD ExPlats or mostly non-ExPlats?
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joe_miami
As someone who will be a first-time ExPlat soon but with low EQD, I wonder how much your EQD number is a factor—i.e., are you often beating out other lower-EQD ExPlats or mostly non-ExPlats?
No real way of knowing that. I don't feel like 20K is a particularly high number or a particularly low one either. But that's just a "feeling" - I don't have any data about the status levels of people below me on the lists.

I've noticed no material change in my upgrade success rate compared to what it was it before the changeover to the EQD ranking system.
Old Sep 6, 2019, 8:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by bse118
No real way of knowing that. I don't feel like 20K is a particularly high number or a particularly low one either. But that's just a "feeling" - I don't have any data about the status levels of people below me on the lists.

I've noticed no material change in my upgrade success rate compared to what it was it before the changeover to the EQD ranking system.
Thanks.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by AANYC1981

Same, I don't think I've ever missed an upgrade on JFK-MIA except when I do a same-day change and J is already full.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 8:56 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Finsup72
Same, I don't think I've ever missed an upgrade on JFK-MIA except when I do a same-day change and J is already full.
Yep and even then I am more than happy with 12A/J on the 763 or Premium Economy/MCE on the 777
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:37 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Marriott Bonvoy
Hi experts-
i have a mileage upgrade request for flight 533 SJD-PHX and flight 891 PHX-ORD on Sunday, 9.15. I’m most interested in the Phoenix-Chicago flight, and the cost to upfare was $1700. Should I safely assume I won’t clear as this probably means inventory is very low?
thanks so much!
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by ORDbird
Hi experts-
i have a mileage upgrade request for flight 533 SJD-PHX and flight 891 PHX-ORD on Sunday, 9.15. I’m most interested in the Phoenix-Chicago flight, and the cost to upfare was $1700. Should I safely assume I won’t clear as this probably means inventory is very low?
thanks so much!
Right now, SJD-PHX is sold out in business and PHX-ORD is J2, so still hope on that one.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ORDbird
Hi experts-
thanks so much!
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Right now, SJD-PHX is sold out in business and PHX-ORD is J2, so still hope on that one.
As a PLT on a hub-to-hub on a popular business travel day at a popular business travel time? Very doubtful, to be honest.
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Gold
AA 94 (JFK-MAD) upgrade Y->J for two people using Miles + Copay (as EXP) cleared ~30 hours before.
I received the alert from EF, then called AA to process the upgrade.
Still 100% success rate on TATL upgrades this year (6/6).
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:16 pm

Are there any long distance routes where AA usually has C space available? Asia, Europe, or anything. I've a few left that will expire in January, and looking for opportunities to spend them for a weekend trip.
Already checked the routes to PVG without much luck from October - January. I would like to avoid gambling and if at all possible clear it at booking. Forfeiting the upgrades is less painful than 12 hours Y...
Old Sep 13, 2019, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by matt85
Are there any long distance routes where AA usually has C space available? Asia, Europe, or anything. I've a few left that will expire in January, and looking for opportunities to spend them for a weekend trip.
Already checked the routes to PVG without much luck from October - January. I would like to avoid gambling and if at all possible clear it at booking. Forfeiting the upgrades is less painful than 12 hours Y...
No. AA doesn't release any valuable C space on long distance routes until 36-48 hours before departure and therefore makes it very hard to plan long-distance vacations (even if the seat map is empty and ExpertFlyer shows >J7). You can certainly find readily available C space on a short-haul American Eagle flight though!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.